iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl ms250 leaking oil from a hole (see pics) Not enough oil getting to chain.

Started by Adwoodmass, April 17, 2018, 03:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adwoodmass

Hello folks.
My father is having trouble with his chainsaw. He ran into a problem with it a couple of days back and asked if i could do some research.
It's very difficult to see on the images but the small hole is to the left of the (exhaust?) It currently has a small metal nail in it as my father thought wise to try plug it up to stop it leaking, it did work for a short time but flew out when turned on. Due to the oil coming from that hole he mentioned overheating and the chain not getting enough oil.
Does anyone know if that hole is meant to be plugged up with something, has it fallen out and he hasn't noticed? He isn't quite sure himself what the hole is for.
Thank you.
Adam

steele109

Hi I looked at mine and there is a screw comes up and ends there. It's probably under the clutch cover,it comes up at a angle.I will take the side cover off this one and see if I can see where it comes from.

realzed

Does the thread and associated answers and discussion posed in the 'similar topic' right below yours here, answer any of your questions here?
Certainly sounds very similar although the OP of that thread doesn't exactly describe where his leak is..  

steele109

I took the clutch cover and chain brake cover off and didn't see it.I just put a new crank case on mine a few weeks ago and can't remember that screw.SORRY say_what

limbwood

there is supposed to be a little orange plug in that hole. if you can find a self tapping screw the right size with some good sealant it will fix it. you will have to take the muffler off to get it in though.

Adwoodmass

Quote from: steele109 on April 17, 2018, 07:28:21 PM
I took the clutch cover and chain brake cover off and didn't see it.I just put a new crank case on mine a few weeks ago and can't remember that screw.SORRY say_what
No worries, Steele. Thank you for taking your own apart to solve our problem. Appreciate it!

Adwoodmass

Quote from: realzed on April 17, 2018, 07:09:09 PM
Does the thread and associated answers and discussion posed in the 'similar topic' right below yours here, answer any of your questions here?
Certainly sounds very similar although the OP of that threat doesn't exactly describe where his leak is..  
Hi Realzed.
I have just checked that thread and it sound very much like the problem my dad is facing. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will take the laptop over tomorrow and let him read it over.
Regards 
Adam

Adwoodmass

Quote from: limbwood on April 17, 2018, 07:56:10 PM
there is supposed to be a little orange plug in that hole. if you can find a self tapping screw the right size with some good sealant it will fix it. you will have to take the muffler off to get it in though.
Hi Limbwood. Thanks for that information, i guess he wasn't far of trying to plug it with a nail. Didn't quite fit though. I'll talk with him tomorrow. It'll probably require a trip to the diy store for a proper fit screw/nail.
Thanks again all for the info.
Regards
Adam

joe_indi

Quote from: Adwoodmass on April 17, 2018, 03:00:23 PM
.....It currently has a small metal nail in it as my father thought wise to try plug it up to stop it leaking, it did work for a short time but flew out when turned on. Due to the oil coming from that hole he mentioned overheating and the chain not getting enough oil.
Does anyone know if that hole is meant to be plugged up with something, has it fallen out and he hasn't noticed? He isn't quite sure himself what the hole is for.

Oh, oh... That hole was formed during the manufacturing process and the orange 'screw' is just a dummy to block that hole.
If you insert anything long enough it will block the flow of chain oil from the pump.
Take a pin and insert it into that hole and watch where it goes on the side, in the groove where the oil comes through. You will understand this better.
To block the hole use a very tiny stub of plastic or metal 2 or 3mm long, apply a bit of epoxy cement and pus the stub in, not too deep, just enough to block the front hole.

Adwoodmass

Ah it's starting to make sense now. The screw he put in there was pretty long, that must be why the oil isn't getting to the chain. I think he has epoxy cement so i imagine any cut down screw head would work in this situation with a tad of epoxy cement, sounds good to me!
Thank you for that info, Joe!
Regards
Adam

Adwoodmass

I'd like to thank you all for your knowledge and help! The problem has been sorted and the chainsaw is running as well as it usually does.

Thanks again!
Regards
Adam

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

baronthered

A small set screw will take care of it. Put some silicone goo on the screw and tap the hole first or it may crack the case right there. There is a YouTube channel called taryl fixes all that shows the same fix.
Life's short make fun of it!

Thank You Sponsors!