iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel tank vent replacement

Started by madmodifier, January 31, 2016, 12:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmodifier

Hi All,

I am wondering what could be used to replace a missing fuel tank vent? I have a Jonsered 910 and the vent is gone. I did not figure this out until I filled it with fuel and it was spiting out when revving the saw. I am guessing a section of fuel line but what to put on the end? I do not have any sintered brass fuel filters but I thought that might work.

Thanks,
Ben
MMMM Nothing like 2 stroke in the morning!

dougand3

A duckbill valve may work. Poulan uses them in fuel caps. Homelite uses them in fuel tanks. Depends on if the diameter is correct. IIRC, I used one in a 1/8" ID fuel line section for a fuel tank vent on a Husky.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

madmodifier

Interesting! Thanks for the idea. Do you know if the idea is to vent pressure from building in the tank or to allow air in when needed?

dougand3

It's to allow air in to replace the fuel going to the carb.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

sharkey

Allows air in to displace the liquid.  If you can get a piece of fuel line to seal, you can use a screw with the head cut off like an old Stihl or maybe an Echo style tank vent;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Echo-Fuel-Line-In-Tank-Vent-Line-Trimmers-Weed-Wackers-Straight-Curved-Shaft-/271905007083?hash=item3f4ecd25eb:g:88kAAOSw3ydVgdxQ

madmodifier

I did end up stuffing a piece of fuel line on the nipple and put a sheet metal screw on the end. I ran a tank of fuel through with little issue. I will try and pretty this up but it seems to work. Thanks all for the ideas!

Thank You Sponsors!