iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Eatin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 25, 2017, 08:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Our Christmas meal will be this evening when the brood gathers.  My favorite, Shrimp Gumbo.  There will also be a Ham and all of the traditional fixin's plus Lemon and Coconut Pies.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

We did Christmas dinner 16th & 23rd because of availablity issues of our kids. Had ham, green bean casserole, rolls, apple & raisin salad, mashed taters, banana split pie.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Busy weekend
Gang of 23 here Saturday, 17 pound boneless ham (best we have ever had), mashed potatos, gravy, cabbage salad ,veggies,  assorted relishes, Boston cream pie, cheesecake Oreo cake made by my granddaughter  and assorted cookies.
Preceded by bottles of Merlot and chardonnay and some cocktails and beer.
Sunday dinner at my wife's cousins more ham and too many good eats to list.
Linda and i are chillin today with leftovers for probably the next week
Merry Christmas everyone!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bogue Chitto

Pig in the ground last night.  Will pull it out at lunch time.

Magicman

I hope that you take some pictures of that Pig.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bricklayer51

The wife is cooking the turkey for this afternoon family dinner so as I type this I am making sure it does not fly away.

Bogue Chitto

LeeB

Ham in the oven and I'll fry a turkey soon. Not so much traditional sides because as a family we are pretty much low carb and/or gluten free. We'll hve baked winter squash, cauliflower mash, saute veggies and a goat cheese cake. All  my kids and grand babies are here. The meal is just icing on the cake.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawguy21

8) Having everybody together is the best part. I am going to dinner with long time friends, knowing her it will be good and lots of it
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

I may not remember everything but there was Shrimp Gumbo, Ham, Potato Salad, and various Casseroles.  Desserts included Lemon Icebox and Coconut pies.  Some tried to eat it all but I settled on Gumbo and a slice of pie.  There will be plenty left over to go to the Cabin for a few quiet days.   

69bronco

We did fried mullet, hush puppies , stir fried tomatoes and zucchini  and peach pie.

WV Sawmiller

Sounds like all you were missing were the grits and swamp cabbage.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

I didn't know swamp cabbage was edible if we are talking about the same thing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

Sous Vide 13 pound rib roast 22 hours then season and under the broiler for 3 minutes. Complete meat temp 133 degrees throughout. Best and most tender I have ever had. Cut with a spoon.
Candied yams, baked green beans, kitchen sink mashed potatoes with extra garlic, home baked dinner rolls. Fresh baked triple berry pie and pound cake with vanilla ice cream and strawberries.
Sue Ann's daughter and Grandson flew in from the frozen north yesterday afternoon to join us for a week.

I went to the fishing boat dock today and got fresh scallops and shrimp to go with some catfish and snow crab.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

69bronco

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 26, 2017, 01:34:24 PM

Sounds like all you were missing were the grits and swamp cabbage.
I'll take the swamp cabbage, but pass on the grits! steve_smiley

sandhills

Thanks a lot Bill!  We don't have fresh seafood here in the frozen middle USA  :).  I was sick through most of the weekend but still got plenty of chili, hamburger soup, roast, and of coarse homemade bread with all the other fixin's that go along.  Haven't used the smoker in awhile but I'm getting this itch, hmm.... :new_year: everyone!

WV Sawmiller

SG21,

I suspect Swamp Cabbage, if any, in BC is vastly different than that in southern Fla. Swamp cabbage I'm talking about is the heart of sabal palm. You cut the heart out and peel similar to artichoke hearts as I understand (Not a big fan of artichoke so I can't swear to this) and cut the bottom tender bits off. When the bud starts to get tough you peel off another layer or two and repeat. If you cut too far up it starts to get bitter from Quinine in the plant. (I've heard that was reason Seminole Indians did not get malaria as SC was part of their staple diet.) My grandmother used to add a little sugar to counteract the bitter.

You can eat the hearts raw in a salad or boil like green cabbage. My favorite cooking method is to fry a couple of strips of bacon to grease the pan then fry the cabbage in the bacon/grease. (Regular cabbage is also very good prepared this way.) Add a little salt and pepper eat to your hearts content. Warning - this a very high fiber food with the resulting, sometimes beneficial, sometimes embarrassing results. Eat in moderation until you know your tolerance levels.

You need to spend more time down south and less up in New York. :D
Howard Green

Magicman

I had another bowl of Christmas Gumbo for supper tonight.  food6  Gots ta be one of my favorite dishes.

petefrom bearswamp

Took my corned venison out of the brine yesterday.
12 good sized pieces, bone in buck neck total of 35 pounds.
Should last all year after giving a few away to friends and family.
Plan to do one  in the crock pot on low all day tomorrow and add cabbage, potato and carrot for the last hr.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

moosehunter

Raider Bill, in what did you heat/cook a 13 lb roast in that would keep the temp @ 133?
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

Corned venison roast, boiled taters, carrots, cabbage and cornbread wedges with a big old glass of unsweetened iced tea. (Ever since my wife found out I prefer the corner pieces of cornbread she has made it in a round pan just for spite. Now that's a mean women!).

Howard Green

Dave Shepard

You can get brownie pans that are all corners. Would probably work for cornbread, too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Dave,

She definitely would not want to let me use that! :D

The leftover corned deer will be used to make sandwiches. I should get some rye bread and make a Reuben sandwich. I'd have to use cole slaw instead of sauerkraut which I do not like.
Howard Green

Magicman

Jambalaya.

Last week I was enjoying a bowl of hot Gumbo and tonight a plate of Jambalaya along with coleslaw and a couple of "catheads".  Jambalaya has basically the same ingredients as Gumbo such as rice, shrimp, and sausage but it is a drier dish where Gumbo has gravy.  Both good Coonass dishes.   food6

Thank You Sponsors!