iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Well, I started out to spray weeds in the pasture and my wife yelled at me I had a customer on the way with some Paulownia. He had called a day or two ago but we did not have a set schedule. Anyway I went ahead and got ready. I broke the little plastic fitting on the fuel tank the hose connects to when I took the cover off the mill. I put it back on and cranked and let it idle a few minutes with no problem so figured I'd limp by. Went to edge 2 walnut boards I missed and after first one the mill died. Of course then the customer arrived with a big 14' dump trailer. He pulled in and I had to drag a couple logs out of the way with ATV and tractor and then we tried to crank the mill with no success. Finally took the connector off the hose and put it directly in the tank and it worked fine like that. Duct taped over the tank mouth to secure the hose and keep sawdust out.

Mostly real small and some short stuff so running hourly rate. Customer wanted 9/4 so once we agreed on how much wane was okay everything went pretty fast. I guess 150 bf or so and he left 5-6 20"-24" pieces for me to saw later as he and daughter had to get back to caregiver duties. The customer wanted 2 side boards for his trailer and just happened I had some leftover 2"X12"X14' ash boards I'd cut for someone else so we dug them out and got them on the forks of John and on to his trailer. Nice folks and he seemed happy. Unfortunately I did not get pictures. Maybe on the short pieces I have left I can.

I had heard the wood was light and soft but it was like buckeye or something. It looked a lot like the Ailanthus I have cut along my creek bank and back yard but I never tried sawing them yet. Very quick to saw. Looked more like a softwood than hardwood with no heart checks in evidence. I'd love to get a lot of it in decent sizes.

WM offices were closed when I got to the house but I'll try Monday for the hose fitting. I'd bet I could get one from the outboard motor dealers. Looks a lot like a Mercury outboard fitting but likely cheaper and better to get it from WM.

Oh yeah - this customer came from a card given out at a local flea market visit a couple of weeks ago. Poor sales at the time but did serve as advertising.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

After I cooled off a bit I went back and sawed an 8' spruce butt log into 2- 16/4 mantels because I did not have any of them in stock yet. Sawed one wide 8/4 for same reason and a little side lumber as 4/4. I edged the back of one mantel and am going to take it to a blacksmith I met and have him fab some black iron bands for each end. Left the other and the slab LE on both sides.

Restacked some ash and walnut LE 8/4 slabs since I had to restack from my customer buying the ash 2X12s off the stack earlier.

Norway Spruce for 2 4" mantels, a wide 8/4 slab and 4/4 side lumber. About 125 bf total

Finished mantels and slab. The customers remaining Paulinia Paulownia "Logs" can be seen underneath. I'll make a jig and cut them in a day or two.

Temporary patch to the fuel line. Zip ties we tried at first did not work. Only using about top gallon of fuel because of short amount of hose in the tank.

Blackjack came by to supervise. I looked up in my spruce patch about 75 yards away and an old doe with spotted fawn and a yearling were there. Sampson barked and I guess with the spotted fawn she decided not to come any closer.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

Early morning and late evening milling pine 1 1/2 X 4 X 16+ for metal roof stripping for a steep roof.  The hotter part of the day was spent under the AC and in my above ground in the ground pool. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

rjwoelk

I got all my floor joists cut and most of the flooring as well. Plus one 8x10 for a tiebeam for a shed I will be doing.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

petefrom bearswamp

What am I sawing?
two words, shaky Hemlock.
WV can you saw NS without making waves?
If so what is your secret.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Tin Horse

I've milled some hemlock off my own property but have pretty much given up on it because of shack. There is a market but with low value here and milling loss it's not worth it. It mills OK but after sticking and cover it's no time and about 50% or more is junk. :(
I've just re-built a bridge crossing a 40' creek with 10"x 10" hemlock timbers for the base. Because of that I had it's a blend of new treated railroad ties; some white oak and hemlock. It'll interesting to see how it stands up.
I can only guess what some of you guys are thinking about this combination. ::)
For now it carries the Case 580 backhoe and anything it'll lift across it. 8)
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

No waves. Used a good sharp 4 degree doublehard blade. The whitewood is soft but the hard knots make me like the 4 degree blades. I do same thing with hemlock when I cut it. Good luck.
Howard Green

dirtymartini

More Cherry...If I'm not sure how thick I want to cut it can I just save the cant for later?

Chuck White

Don't see why not, just seal the ends and keep it up off the ground!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Down here, a cherry cant will crack and check unless sawn quickly. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

Got my new engine in the mill and adjusted late yesterday. This afternoon decided to start breaking it in.

Sawed up a couple of my own small logs and started on a custom job. Six logs all red and white oak 24"-30" diameter. Customer wants them all slabbed 2-1/2" thick, live edge. This one was the exception and measured 36" through the branch stub and the customer specified I saw it as shown. The TK will swallow 32" so I chain sawed off the branch so it measured 31-3/4". The color and ray fleck were exceptional, but my picture taking skills failed and I didn't get it captured.

Think I could saw live edge slabs all day every day. No edging. I can't lift any of the slabs so the sawmill slides the slabs off onto the loading arms so the forklift can pick them up. My only exercise was pushing levers.

Four degree bands and I took it easy on the motor. Never got into the governor.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

dirtymartini

Quote from: Chuck White on July 08, 2018, 09:09:54 PM
Don't see why not, just seal the ends and keep it up off the ground!
What's best to use as a sealer? I know I have read about it on here before but can't remember the name.

Dave Shepard

Anchorseal.

I would saw asap. And I'd seal the logs first, also. Cherry doesn't like to sit around. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Agreed. I try to have my anchorseal ready to apply as soon as I buck the log. Ash is another on I find that checks quickly and badly at times.
Howard Green

Magicman

The surface cracking that was referred to will occur because the inner core of the cant will retain moisture/size and the outer surface will dry and shrink.  This is the same thing that happens with green fresh sawn cookies.  If the outside tries/needs to shrink and the inside can't, the outside cracks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Clark

Quote from: Busybeaver on July 06, 2018, 11:07:40 PMI'm meeting the father in law on the 21st up at one of his properties in northern MI to look over his place there. He has about 1200 wooded acres he's owned since the 70s and hasn't had it cut. I've never seen the land but it sounds like a promising source for a steady supply of logs. I've talked to a couple crews that said they could log it and a guy that says he can haul it. I've been seriously stressing the supply issue and have been on the phone way too much trying to put all the pieces together.  I just want to stay at home in my own little happy place and make piles of lumber and sawdust. 
BB - I 100% recommend you don't enter into any sort of deal like you are talking about with any family member. I think there are good ways to use a family's timber as a source of logs but the few details you know and have shared indicate a situation where things could go sour very quickly.
Ultimately, your father-in-law's land could provide you logs to mill but that should only happen when he decides to have timber cut for his reasons and management purposes. If you drive the cutting of his property I will bet you a load of walnut he will tire of that arrangement.
My 2¢
Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Southside

There are many unknowns when hiring a logging crew, especially when the responsible party is not well experienced in the business. It could go great, it could go OK, it could be a nightmare and you are not 5 minutes down the road. Factor that potential into your relationship and ask how much you are willing to risk. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

More pine slabs today
Did some 15' long for the first time
Then had a visitor for lunch :)
The snake ate the toad

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

My Jim, you are sawing out some very nice stuff.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Got out today and cut the 7 Paulownia "logs" my customer left me. I used a 1X12 and a 1X6 on top of the rails and a 3X6 as side supports and kept having to flip it from 3" to 6" side. Used 6" for first cut or two then when I had a flat surface and could clamp used the 3" side. Cut it all to 9/4 then edged random widths as the board provided. All total about 95 bf and 1.3 hours on the engine to do it. Most of the time was spent turning logs and clamping and such.

One of the 7 "logs"

Finished stack of 9/4 short boards waiting for customer to pick them up. I covered with the tin to the right of the picture.

I had the horse and mule in their stalls while sawing. Blackjack was ready to get out and roll when I let him out at the end of sawing.

Preparing his spot to roll

A happy mule

He's in there somewhere

Done and shaking the dust off.
Howard Green

dirtymartini

No sawing for a couple of days, I have been busy hauling free logs. I need to read up on timber framing, I would love to build a small barn/workshop with some of this EWP and Hemlock.

That is as high as I could lift this log...I drove the trailer out from underneath it.

Magicman

I am glad that you did not get a "hobby" sawmill.  smiley_thumbsup

Just Right

Bruno,  Those are some nice looking slabs.  I have customers interested in me sawing some pine slabs like that.  Just took down a huge pine that will do the trick.  What are you pricing your slabs at in your neck of the woods?  JR
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Crossroads

Spent yesterday milling some Doug fir, mostly cut 1x12 and 1x8, but also had 4-3x16x16" on the cut list as well as a few 2x6 and 2x8's. I have 4 more easy logs to finish up this morning, then the last log is a monster 34" on the scale end and 16' long. I've already made it clear that I can't load it. Now he needs to decide how to buck it. The siding he needs has to be 9' so, it's not a matter of just making 2 8's 🤔

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!