iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question for Lucas owners

Started by brdmkr, May 02, 2006, 10:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I have been thinking about ways to decrease my setup and take-down time with the mill.  I am 'transportation challenged' with only a Ford ranger (4 cylinder) and a 5' x 8' trailer.  I mounted a truck rack in the trailer and can haul the entire mill rails and all on the trailer.  Thus, there is no longer a need to load things into the truck.  I just hook to the trailer and go.  Today, I figured out that I could leave the uprights together and stand them next to the rack on the trailer.  I strap them to the rack upright next to the rails and they seem to ride OK.  Now when I arrive at the site, I don't have to put the uprights together.  Just unload, attach the rails, position the saw carriage, and start cutting.....In theory.  However, I often cut alone.  Those uprights are a pure pain to handle by myself.  Do any of you leave your uprights together?  If so, do you ever have to handle them alone?  Any tips? 

Many thanks.

Mike
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

pep

Mike

Sorry, Can't help you out on that one, I have my mill set up at my shop and yard.
Haven't broke down my setup yet.  If someone wants custom sawing they can bring the logs to me.

Cheers

Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

solodan

I have left my uprights together if I need to move the mill only a short distance for some reason, but they are hard to handle by yourself unless you ar eight feet tall. :D I personally don't mind breaking down and setting up the uprights, it is actually fairly easy. I think loading and unloading the saw carriage in the back of my truck is more of a pain. I think someone needs to design a drive system  for the saw carriage and some steering, then I can drive it up the ramps and right into the bed of my truck. ;)

brdmkr

Pep,

I am not actually custom sawing for others.  I am sawing logs that other folks give me.  I just don't have a way to move the logs.  So, I go to them. 

Solodan, loading the carriage is no problem with the trailer, as it sits lower to the ground than the truck bed, but I am a few inches shy of 8 feet tall ;) and moving those uprights is a pain.  I'm going to keep studying on it as it really would be a time saver.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Lucas_Mill_Pty_Ltd

Dear Brdmkr,

Please find following drawing of carry hook. Length can be modified by you to suit your arm lengh. This will enable you to hold the type pipe with one hand and the hook with the other.

I hope the will enable you to carry around your end frames complete.

Regards

Matthew de Jager
Lucas Mill Pty Ltd

brdmkr

I'm sorry, but that can't possibly work.   It is much too simple :D

Thanks.  That should do the trick!

jpgreen

Maybe you would feel better if it was real expensive Brdmkr?

You could have it cast in art deco of fine vintage era pewter..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

brdmkr

I was thinking it should be brass to keep it from scrtching the metal or generating sparks that could ignite sawdust :D :D :D

DanG

Noop, noop, noop!  That will never do.  We gotta figger out some way to make it at least uncomfortable to use, if not downright ineffective.  If we make this look as easy as it really is, everybody will want in on the action!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

brdmkr

I'm with you.  I'm thinking levers, pulleys, wheels, and maybe even some simple hydraulics are in order.  A hook with a handle just can't possibly be complex enough. :D

Actually, I figure I'll see if I can fashion me one of those upright carriers this weekend.

jpgreen

Whatever you do, don't make the point to sharp. Someone could get hurt, then you would have to sue yourself..  :D

Dakota

I'll never admit that one of these hooks was included with my mill purchase, or admit that I couldn't figure out what it was for.  But I know what corner I put it in.
Dakota
Dave Rinker

brdmkr

Quote from: Dakota on May 05, 2006, 10:06:52 AM
I'll never admit that one of these hooks was included with my mill purchase, or admit that I couldn't figure out what it was for.  But I know what corner I put it in.
Dakota

You got a hook!  I didn't get a hook!  Why didn't I get a hook?  I may not sleep.

Mostly, I'm just embarrassed I didn't think to make a hook ;D

solodan

I didn't get a hook either. :(

tlooney

I got a hook too. Never could figure out what the thing was for, I guess now I know.
Lucasmill 827
Kubota tractor with forks
current project: finished solar kiln now trying to sell lumber

Lucas_Mill_Pty_Ltd

Sorry to hear some of you guys didn't receive the Hook

We stoped supplying these hooks cause we believed peoples arm sized had increased enough to lift the end frames around without the hook.

If your arms are still not quiet long enough, contact Baileys for the item. If they are out of stock, Ill make sure we send some with our next container load of machines.

The hook was originally made for machines without the quick dismountable end frames we have today. We originally had end frames with stainless steel cable and progressed to chain after the first 400 machines were manufactured The end frames then received another re-design to allow the operator to pull apart and stack them with only 2 pin movements required for disassembly.

RichlandSawyer

If i might jump in here i have a question i've been wondering about for awhile. On a swing mill do you vary blade speed for different types of wood?
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Ianab

QuoteOn a swing mill do you vary blade speed for different types of wood?

Basically no. There are some different blade configurations available for different wood though. Different number teeth and different kerf. These are just fine tuning tweaks really, the standard blades give pretty good results in any wood.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

BEAVERBOY

Thought I would ring in
I have a couple of these hooks lying around from costomers that picked up their mill from our Laytonville store but had no use for the hook or forgot them. I would be willing to ship these two out at no cost. I just need an address. I am in the process of ordering a container to our Tennessee location and Matt from Lucas Int. promised to send a few extra pieces.
If you are interested, call me
800-322-4539 ext 237
I will be out of the office in 40 minutes but will be checking my messages Monday morning
Thanks
Sam

Part_Timer

You just have to love our sponsors here.

Customer has a problem sponsor has an answer

Nice way to do business.

tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Tom

I'll bet the phone is ringing the screws out of the wall.   "At no cost?"

Lucas is taking care of their own, eh?   

Good Show!

getoverit

Great Sponsor :)

Thanks Beaverboy!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

jpgreen

Yeah..! Maybe since Sam is in the giving spirit, I can talk him into giving me a Lucas Mill?..  :D ..........;D

sawguy21

If he can send me one, I'll pick up the shipping ;D Sounds like he and the rest of the Lucas people are great to deal with
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

brdmkr

Quote from: Lucas_Mill_Pty_Ltd on May 12, 2006, 12:37:09 AM

Sorry to hear some of you guys didn't receive the Hook

We stoped supplying these hooks cause we believed peoples arm sized had increased enough to lift the end frames around without the hook.

Wasn't expecting that response; it got a good chuckle out of me :D :D :D :D

I just want you to know that I really do appreciate the offer of the hook.  I don't mind paying the shipping.  I have been dealing with Brian out of the TN office.  I'll give him a yell on Monday, or would it be better to call Sam???? 

Thanks again.  I never expected the offer.  The 'hook' was not mentioned in the list of items that was to be shipped with the mill.  So, I am sure all of of us really do appreciate the offer.  This is an exceptional example customer service.

Thank You Sponsors!