iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT-40 clamp cylinder seal repair

Started by terrifictimbersllc, April 19, 2012, 08:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Anyone replace the hydraulic seals on the up/down clamp cylinder and is there anything hard about it?

Yesterday my clamp on my LT-40 super started acting up,  occasionally wouldn't go down. Run it up a bit then down would get it going but not always.  Tap on the top of it while pushing the lever down would get it going.  Flow/pressure was there.  Nothing was leaking and oil level was good.  Nothing wrong with the clamp cylinder that I could see looks like new.  Able to finish the job.   In the end I was pushing the lever down, and it blew apart  the hose going to the bottom of the cylinder (separated at the crimp on the end).  WM said it is likely the seal needs replacing.  Seal kit and new hose coming this morning by Fedex overnight. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

>:(   >:( >:(   >:( >:( >:(   >:( >:( >:( >:(    >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
It's fixed.  Didn't believe it would happen. I will saw tomorrow.   Took me about 6 hours to get the cylinder apart.   
Grateful to WM tech service reps Doug and Ron who actually seemed to have taken one of these apart before themselves.
We'll see if the repair holds up tomorrow.  The end seal (at bottom of the cylinder) was broken, which seems to explain everything.
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(    >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That's GREAT news T.  :D I know you feel better....I would.

Ain't dem ORANGE people GREAT!
They'll walk you right through the process you have to fix.

Now let's see some sawdust!  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customsawyer

I have had a few of the cylinders to go out on me but then again I have 7000 hours on a mill that has been doing more than it should for a while. They will get your jaws tight, but once you have done a few it gets easier.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

beenthere

terriffic....

That oughta cheer you up!!  like the smiley face... :) :) :) :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bogue Chitto

I noticed the other day that there is movement or play in my clamp.  When it is free I can move it around about one inch to each side.  Is this normal?

Brucer

If the clamp is simply rotating around the horizontal guide shaft then it's not a problem.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

terrifictimbersllc

Cut all day yesterday.  Wow the clamp goes down fast now!   At the beginning I was worried, he top end holder separated (moved up) about 1/16" from the cylinder body, thought it might blow out.  I had to re-use the retaining ring (wire) because I misplaced the new one in the repair ordeal.  It was probably a half inch shorter by the time I got it back in.  Plus I had bugged up the top end including the wire groove a bit.  But I think the 1/16 is just a bit of new play which doesn't matter.  Tossed around 4 giant logs so it got a workout.  If you don't know what I'm talking about consider yourself lucky.  I don't usually feel like taking pictures when it seems the world is coming to an end.  >:( >:( >:(

Also had to pay attention to routing of the hose lines which were readjusted by the time I got it back together.  If I hadn't watched this I would have torn off the new line to the bottom of the clamp.

PAmizerman

@terrifictimbersllc   

I have the same exact mill and problem.
I will be ordering the seal kit from WM tomorrow. Any tips for me before I dive into this?
Thanks
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

terrifictimbersllc

Its all a distant memory.   Maybe keep everything clean and organized and don't lose anything. 
Also have an extra cylinder on hand so you can take your time.  :) :) :)

Crossroads

Glad you got it all back together TT! Looks like my plan to go full time on the mill is fading away and I'll be back to spinning wrenches soon :( had an interview last week that seemed to have gone well. Unfortunately, it's an hour drive each way. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!