iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer cantilever head

Started by Crusarius, November 30, 2018, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

Does the carriage / mast on the woodmizer cantilever mills use linear bearings? (where the carriage is attached to the bed) Can anyone get me some good closeup pictures of it? I am kinda screwing around with an idea in my head for linear bearings on the carriage but not sue how it will work.

Dave Shepard

I can get pics later. They are round bearings. Two on top of the rail. Three on the outside of the top rail, and two on the inside of the bottom rail. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Here's a sketch from memory. Some earlier mills had the top bearings at 45° to the main tube.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

Thanks dave that is a huge help. I was thinking about linear bearings the full 24' length. but I was having second thoughts. Hard to swallow the cost for 48' worth of rails. Still may use them on the slide for the up and down. But the 3 bearings seem to make more sense just need to have a good stainless rail for them to ride on.

MM thanks for the link that was helpful as well. The bracket that had the 2 bearings was the top? by the picture it looked like the bottom? 

Wonder if I could get away with V-groove roller on top and simple bearing on the bottom?

Magicman

That was replacing the bottom cam followers.  The last sentence in my reply stated that I had previously replaced my top units.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

oh thanks. I missed that. Huge help though. thankyou.

Stephen1

The woodmizer mills do not use stainless for the rod. We keep them oiled to hold the rust at bay. Stainless would be expensive for sure.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Crusarius

Does that mean there is a scraper / seal on the rail? I would imagine the sawdust buildup would be crazy. rails ever painted or always bare steel?

Crusarius

Magicman

Yes there is a Teflon? scraper to prevent sawdust buildup between the rod and cam followers.  Just bare metal after the paint wears off, no problem with rust.  The rod is very much hardened to prevent wearing but earlier models were not hardened and did wear down.  I would not even consider using stainless.

Crusarius

your probably right. Stainless may be unnecessary. Why wouldn't you use stainless? Just curious.

Magicman

Not necessary but also the hardness might be an issue with stainless.

Crusarius

I was kinda wondering about that to. Since I am only sawing for a hobby I doubt the hardness will be an issue for quite a while. Good news is cutting that bar off and replacing it is not that difficult.

Stephen1

My mill from 1993 had no wear on the bar.Rust yes!, ussually after sitting all winter, even inside. I oil in the fall. In the spring I use a metal brillo pad with TF and scrub the lower rod as it usually has more rust and therefore the electrical contact for the hydraulics can be an issue. Once scrubbed it is good for the season.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!