iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wheel belts coming apart.

Started by irvi00, November 02, 2017, 07:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irvi00

First off, I tried to search and couldn't answer my question. The pulley belts that came new on my WM lt50 lasted almost 300 hours. Since then they have been coming apart in about 10 to 15 hours. These are wm belts. Last set maybe 5 hours. The only thing I've done different is spray the blade with wd40 before I take it off to clean it up. Is it as simple as the wd40 or do I have an underlying problem?

Chuck White

Without a doubt, I would be calling Wood-Mizer!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Anything with petroleum in it will surely take its toil on a belt.
I'm not saying this is the problem. I clean my blades every once in a while with a spray of diesel.
I can tell my belts will become a little mushy from diesel over time. I change my belts about every 500-700 hours.
However, I have never had a belt separate.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Mine never gets anything except a wire brush or the brush scraper tip.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

irvi00

The first set that came with the mill were great. 300 hours and they were fine. A broken blade took them out. Two sets since then. The backs are coming off and causing imbalance. Today one just shredded up it's back. This is getting expensive quick. I've stopped with the wd40. But just to be sure, could there be another problem?

Magicman

Be sure to contact WM because there may be a Mfg. defect that needs to be identified.  They may want those old belts.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

irvi00

Quote from: Magicman on November 02, 2017, 09:36:46 PM
Be sure to contact WM because there may be a Mfg. defect that needs to be identified.  They may want those old belts.

Definitely will do that. I checked a lot of things and mill looks to be in alignment. Bearings all tight, guides are good. The belts are in the grooves and no buildup underneath. Could the wd40 cause the breakdown?

Magicman

I have no idea because I have never sprayed WD40 or anything else on any belts.

Coltbodi

I doubt it's the wd40 since lots of people including me run straight diesel on there blade for lube. Maybe it's the way you are putting them on. If they where doing well from the factory and now are shredding the only difference (assuming none of the alignmeants moved) are who is installing them. If it's not that I would guess that it's the way the blade is running on the belt, if it's running to far forward than the rear of the blade could be digging into the crown of the belt. Is it both belts?
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

Magicman

There is no crown on WM B57 belts which I assume irvi00 is using.  They are flat.  They run loose so there is really no "installing".  Just slip them over the bandwheels.

I am leaning toward a bad batch of belts, but then, I have no idea what WD40 would do??

Coltbodi

Oh ok, much different than the ones on a timberking. I'd have to agree with you about the belts on that note. Doesn't seem like it could be anything else.
If I can't fix it, I don't want it.
Timberking 1600 with lots of mods, a 65hp mahindra with a front end loader, a welding shop, and sugarcane mill from 1890 for making syrup

irvi00

Quote from: Magicman on November 02, 2017, 10:30:26 PM
There is no crown on WM B57 belts which I assume irvi00 is using.  They are flat.  They run loose so there is really no "installing".  Just slip them over the bandwheels.

I am leaning toward a bad batch of belts, but then, I have no idea what WD40 would do??

Yup. Woodmizer b57 belts. Both sets that came apart were ordered at the same time so it's very possible they could be faulty. A new set should be here today so I'll try one more time. (With no wd40!)

armechanic

A few years ago, I installed an upgrade to my 1988 LT 40 which included larger drive pulley on engine and new belts on the blade wheels which are very tight, I mean tight. They have worked real well. I seen the comment about loose belts reminded me about mine.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

irvi00

Just to show yall what I'm dealing with. @ 8 hours on these belts. Both belts looked the same. Put some new ones on Friday evening and sawed about an hour Saturday morning. So far so good. Will find out more tomorrow when I fire off for a full day. Will no longer use wd40 on the belts and see if that makes a difference. I also watched the blade run for a while and it was tracking properly on the wheels.

terrifictimbersllc

I've never seen anything like that in 3700 hours of sawing. My belts go on oily he from the sharpening setting processbut that gets cleaned off within a minute or two of sawing.  Then all the belts see is cascade in water. Maybe you are loading up and pressing WD-40 into  the belts before taking the band off. I would  stop that practice and wipe the band after taking it off with WD-40 instead if you want to. In any case like mentioned above there must be something different between  WD-40 and diesel if that is causing your problem because others use diesel here.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

irvi00

That was my thought too. I was spraying the blade as it ran under tension just before taking it off. So possibly squeezing the wd40 into the belt. Won't be doing that any more. (But it sure cleaned the blade up nicely!) I'll know more by Tuesday if it makes a difference. New set of belts and absolutely no wd40.

LeeB

Did you get the same problem with more than one blade?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

irvi00

Quote from: LeeB on November 05, 2017, 09:09:17 PM
Did you get the same problem with more than one blade?

Yes. I go through 4 to 5 blades a day. Some are resharpened, some are new. It didn't seem to matter what I ran, they shredded anyway. Judgement time comes tomorrow. New belts, full day. Wish me luck!

LeeB

How much tension are you running on the blade? Is it possible he blade is slipping and causing wear to the belt?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

irvi00

Running at 3000 psi, the specified tension that WM calls for. I haven't heard any slippage. This is a 3 phase electric mill.

LeeB

Looked at the pic of the belt and it looks to me like it could be from the blade slipping, quite possibly caused by the WD40. I've had the blade slip before when really flooding the water to it on a wide cut in live oak. Where you cutting anything different than normal?

irvi00

Sorry for the delay. LeeB, it's been all my normal cutting which is anything and everything. But today I have around 6 hours on new belts and so far so good. They still look fine. No breakdown at all. Unfortunately I don't know if it was bad belts or the wd40. But oh well, eliminate one factor. No more wd40 on the blades. I'll follow magicman and just use a brush to clean em up.

Darrel

I've been watching this thread, glad that things appear to be worked out.  Hoping that the good fortune continues.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

YellowHammer

Quote from: irvi00 on November 07, 2017, 06:00:31 PM
Unfortunately I don't know if it was bad belts or the wd40. But oh well, eliminate one factor. No more wd40 on the blades.
The suspense is killing me.  I've got half a mind (that's full capacity for me) to remount some old belts I have for spares, spray some WD on them and get to sawing.   ???

What exactly were you doing?  Spraying them to clean them at the end of the day or?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

LeeB

Another question comes to mind. Are both belts failing or only the drive side?

Thank You Sponsors!