iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to identify tree

Started by Mogibb1, May 13, 2018, 08:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mogibb1

DPatton

Mogibb1,

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. Sometimes it helps a lot to give us a general location of the specimen. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Texas Ranger

ain't from Texas, but welcome aboard!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mogibb1

Tree is located in South East indiana.

loganworks2

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Virginia pine was my first thought too
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

If virginia pine, the inner tip of the cone scale will have a purple lip, contrasting sharply with the brown color where the seed wing ends.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DPatton

Here's a link to a good identification page for Virginia Pine.

About Virginia pine, Pinus virginiana

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Mogibb1

PewaukeeTree

Its a Mexican Pinyon, A native North American tree!

WDH

What leads you to that conclusion?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PewaukeeTree

Magicman

Since this is a sorta learning exercise, I would have appreciated knowing whether you were looking at the bark, cones, needles, tree structure, etc. 
Learning that you were "knowledgeable" won't help me with future identifications.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

Welcome to the Forum, PewaukeeTree.  I used to hate it when my parents would say. "Because I said so!"  lol  Explanations help everybody get smarter.  Anyway, I too am interested in how you deduced that it is a Mexican Pinyon.  Long way from home, isn't it?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Roxie

Yes, it would be far from it's range in Indiana. 

Pinus cembroides

Say when

WDH

If it is a mexican pinyon, I have some beachfront property in Middle Georgia for sale  ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!