iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wildlife bush piles

Started by Keltic, January 08, 2004, 04:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keltic

Perhaps I should post this in forestry? I'm wondering if anyone builds wildlife bush piles, and you see any of them being used? Thanks FMK

Ron Scott

Yes, I build quite a few of them on client properties. We also make them during active timber harvests.

Be sure that they are placed in proper locations of need and are built so that wildlife can get into them.

Most use is by rabbits, squirrels, chipmonks, ruffed grouse, and non-game birds. They also provide good insect sources for wild turkey.  
~Ron

WV_hillbilly

I build them on my property and the neighbors  property that I cleaned up . We used to burn those piles  but now they are left for what we call bunny piles . They provide some good cover for the smaller animals in the woods . We put a feeder and a mineral block beside the one I can see from my deck . The kids like to watch the animals  for hours on end someimes . When the piles start to get beat down all you have to do is add more brush and they are restored to good use .
Hillbilly

OneWithWood

I build wildlife brush piles whenever I am cleaning up tops or clearing and area.  The key is to start with a large piece on the ground.  This will insure there are sufficient air gaps for the critters to get in and move around.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Keltic

Thanks, I have a couple of areas to cut and would like to take the time to improve habitat. Any other suggestions or websites/publications? Thanks again, FMK

Thank You Sponsors!