iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1975 Case 990 w/FEL

Started by Deese, April 17, 2017, 05:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deese

I need something that I can load logs with. I know someone who has a 1975 Case 990 with FEL that he is considering selling.
He told me that he bought it less than a year ago for a project and no longer has a use for it.
He said he has changed the oil, replaced a rear tire and 1 fuel injector, and that's all he knew was wrong with it.
So, I am swinging by this afternoon to look at it. I will take pics if he will allow it.
I'm sure it's going to look awful, but I couldn't care less as long as it's a fair deal and will move logs.

Any advice would be appreciated!
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

yukon cornelius

I don't have any advice but I wish you the very best. I have the worlds ugliest backhoe and an odd looking wheel loader and I am glad for both of them. Good luck! I hope it works out.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

coalsmok

Check parts availability. Some of these older tractors are getting hard to fix when broken.

Deese

I checked it out, drove it etc and definitely buying it. I took some pics and will upload them tomorrow.
Cooks AE4P Edger

sandsawmill14

those old 990s are pretty tough  i had a neighbor who had one for years good dependable tractor till he bought a dirt pan  :o then it took about 3 more years to tear it up ::)

sorry guys got my #s confused his was a 1030  :-[
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

chevytaHOE5674

IIRC the 990 case is actually a dave brown tractor. Decent old tractors, just be careful with the loader as I've seen a few with the front axles and bolsters all busted up because they aren't very heavy duty.

Deese

I checked it out yesterday evening and drove it around for a while. Engine sounds good, hydraulics are slow, but work. There is a crack in one of the loading arms, but that could be grinded out and welded back up. I think it may have been used in chicken houses or something like that. The bucket had a divider welded in the middle and has been recently cut out. One of the rear brakes are sticking a little bit, you can hear it screaching when you first pull forward, then it goes away. Heck, the thing is 42 years old. It would be used to ease around the log yard, moving and loading logs, pallets of lumber, etc...That's about it. I realize it will have it's limits, but hoping it would handle close to 2000lbs. That may be asking too much from this small FEL but that is okay with me because of the price. I would have to put a counter weight in the back. Here are a few pics. What do y'all think?

Cooks AE4P Edger

TKehl

Does it have power steering?  You'll hate turning with a load on front if it doesn't.

If hydraulics are slow, they may not have as much ummph as they should.  Could just be a blocked filter or strainer screen.  If more than that, it can get expensive.

2000 Lbs may be pushing it.  Weight on the rear will help, but the loader doesn't look beefy enough.  Axles may take it.  Older tractors weren't made for loader work, which is part of why there were industrial versions.  This one is probably in the middle where it can handle some loader work, but would give you troubles with frequent heavy use.

Now, 1200-1500Lbs on the loader, I'd be pretty comfy with that.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Deese

Yes it has power steering. The hydraulics aren't really slow, just slower than what I expected.
Cooks AE4P Edger

chevytaHOE5674

Is the loader plumbed into the tractors hydraulic pump or does it have its own separate pump. If off the tractors pump its going to be slow as its only like a 7gpm pump on its best days. As for lifting 2k lbs that little old girl isn't going to like that much. The loader, hydraulic, front spindles, axle, bolster, and frame just weren't ment for heavy loader work. When that loader was built it probably had a small 4 foot wide bucket on it made for loading manure into a spreader.

Deese

I don't think the loader has it's own separate hyd pump. I would need to go over the loader arms and beef up any weak spots. This thing would be a tremendous back/time saver just by having a set of forks to move slabs, lumber, beams, etc...I have been hesitant to saw beams for customers, because of no support equipment. I even considered constructing some sort of I-Beam trolly setup. This would eliminate the need for all of that. It does not come with forks, so I may have to get some made to fit. I have not looked into that yet.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Kbeitz

Get that crack fixed before it grows...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

paul case

That looks like a good starter tractor. I bet it will handle most of what you will saw with a Jr. The bucket ''divider'' was probably just a brace to keep it from bending down in the middle. A set of forks mounted to that loader will move a lot of back breaking piles of stuff!!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

Way to go, John.  That will help a lot.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ox

Pretty good, economical machines those are....weak spot is the front spindles.  Lots have broken and lots are still available so no big deal if you do break one or both.  From my understanding the replacements are a better steel so a second failure is rare.

Look that loader over carefully for any other cracks and nip them quick.

That bucket looks like a snow bucket with the center cut out.  It won't take much heavy work at all before twisting up.  Replacement buckets aren't much for skidsteers.  Find them used all day long for not much money and make some mounts up and you're done in a day with a heavy duty bucket ready to go.

Nice machine.  Nice sitting position and the tranny is easy to use.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

newoodguy78

Those are good old tractors, keep the work load within its limits and it will serve you well. Definitely a step in the right direction your back will thank you.
If you put forks on it you would be better off taking the bucket off and mounting them right to the loader arms versus the type that slip on to the bucket. Little bit more work to swap but much better for the tractor.
Good luck with it.

jtmccallum

They are a good tractor.  Parts are easier to find than they were 20 years ago.  Hyds. will be slow.  Loader looks like a good match for the tractor.  Like others have said front axle will be the weak point.  Does it have power beyond for the loader hyds.  This will free up remote cylinder hydraulics.  There are good folks on Yesterdays Tractors Case  / David Brown board to help with any in depth questions.  Use it within it's limitations and you will be OK.
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

TKehl

Don't get me wrong.  Looks to be a good tractor that will save a ton of labor around your mill.  Knowing some of the history is worth a ton on an older tractor, so big plus there.  If the price is right, I'd buy it!

Just don't plan on 2000 lbs lift & maneuver on the front anyway.  Heaviest thing we ever picked up with our 706 IH (similar vintage, but bigger and 70 something HP) was around 2200 Lbs with a 4 row corn head.  Picked it up fine, no risk of tipping with fluid in the rear tires, but the front tires were squatting something fierce.  Had to pull the trailer out from under and set down there as it would ruin a tire if we moved the tractor.  It looks like yours has LT tires though.  They will take more pressure if the rims will hold it.  Maybe find some industrial style front wheels & tires at a boneyard???

One more thought.  Instead of making a set of forks for the loader, you may want to convert it to a skid steer style quick connect then buy/make skid steer style forks.  Makes switching much quicker and opens up a range of attachments that can be bought, borrowed, or rented.  Plus, when you upgrade to a newer tractor, you will have all your loader accessories to keep and interchange between tractors or sell the old one with bucket like you got it.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

kensfarm

Those back tires look new.. you might consider putting ribbed ag tires on the front for better turning traction..  are those fronts tires ag or replaced w/ car tires?  You'll love having the loader... after you give it the once over w/ maintenance and minor repairs.. it'll be like an old friend.  Nice tractor. 

Deese

Thanks guys. Binding it on the trailer tomorrow morning as long as it lifts something heavy before loading it. Might chain the bucket to the base of a tree and see if it will lift the back tires off the ground, or do something similiar. But I know someone who has used it recently. He unloaded a small set of discs off a trailer and said it did fine. So I'll probably be pulling it home. It sure will be nice not asking for tractor favors. Things seem to be moving in the right direction for once. I will keep y'all updated.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

kensfarm- I think they are just used car tires.
Let the adventures begin   :)
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I know I haven't addressed all the questions that have been asked. My apologies--it's almost 11pm here and I'm whooped. I hope to be putting around on my new tractor by lunch. The Forestry Forum is a great resource, folks. Good night.
Cooks AE4P Edger

luvmexfood

Should make you a pretty good tractor. At least the older ones aren't to bad to work on. Now you will find yourself looking at some implements for it. If you take the bucket off and install forks a blade for the back would be handy. Just get a heavy duty one an put some weight on it for a counter balance. Looks like it has one almost new rear tire and the seat is probably newer. No cracks in the vinyl. Thats important if you ever leave it in the rain. Once the foam gets wet and you set on it then the rest of the day you have a wet butt.

If you leave it out get a tarp or something and cover the shift levers. Rain has a way of getting around them.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Magicman

Yup, if the shift lever boots are not new, replace them.  They are easily found with Google and most are interchangeable. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

I loaded it up this morning and brought it home. I've been preoccupied with other things today (my little man) so I haven't had any time to tinker with it. It's still sitting on the trailer. I did notice that fuel is slowly leaking somewhere around the fuel pump. Not exactly sure where yet. Also have a bad seal on the big hyd cylinder on the front center. Thats all i really know at the moment. My boy tripped earlier (4 years old) playing with our chocolate lab and bumped his upper lip pretty good on the top edge of one of those small propane tanks for a gas grill. Made me cringe...I heard the "donnng" sound when he hit it. Poor little dude...He is okay though, as it could have been so much worse. I held him tight, rocking him until he calmed down enough for me to check him out. All I'm expecting is maybe a little bruising. No loose teeth, just a little red mark. So, he's good to go. We're taking a little nap at the moment, so he will be recharged shortly. He almost never walks...always running. You cannot turn your back on him for a second, or buddy, he's getting into Lord knows what. He is so proud of "Daddy's tractor". He already knows that what's mine is also his. So, he looked at me and asked, "my tractor?", and I said "Yes Sir, it's John Parker's and Daddy's tractor". He grinned from ear to ear. Made my day.
Cooks AE4P Edger

Thank You Sponsors!