iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandmill Shuttle

Started by bandmiller2, December 14, 2009, 01:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Alot of talk here about cutting timbers for building, with a manual mill.Lets say a lt-15 with the usual dead deck with a 3 or 4' gap between the mill and the deck.Think of a carriage like a circular mill with a flat top same hight as the mill and deck.Log could be rolled across it from deck to mill.After a timber is cut it could be rolled on the carriage and the carriage pushed to the storage area.I'am thinking of "V" wheels and angle iron track on timbers.Could also be used to carry off slab or boards.It would also solve the problem of long timbers or logs in and out from under a mill building.Retired too much time to think.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sgschwend

Sounds like an easier idea then to upgrade a manual mill with hydraulics for loading, turning.

Most band mills have an elevated section that the log is referenced to.  If the cart rails could be added below these then the cart could be added any time it was needed.  The mill would work in both modes.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

bandmiller2

I think a flat carriage with adjustable end dogs would also be handy with a swing mill.Load logs away from the mill then roll them under the saw,especially if your cutting timbers.Steel wheels on steel rails can move massive loads easily,real help at mud time.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

KyTreeFarmer

Frank C.
I like it!! Wanting to set up a log deck before too long. Your "retired" mind sure came up with a good idea for me. Make the track extend in both directions from the mill, then just push it out of the way after loading a log so you don't have to climb over the deck to reach the dogs.

KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

VT-Woodchuck

Great idea!  8)   Sounds like something I need to consider when I set up my LT15 in my own woodlot (home) next spring.
Keep thinking  :D

Thank You Sponsors!