iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nepoleon wood furnace for new home

Started by SwampDonkey, June 15, 2018, 03:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I'm building a new 'pad', so to speak. ;D And am going to install a Napoleon wood furnace with electric add-on for back-up, for them rare days I want to sleep in. :D I have an additional backup plan, and this is baseboard. If the furnace goes down, then the baseboard will be most welcome in the dead of winter cold. ;) Also, I am putting in a Selkirk flu and double walled stove pipe. Pictures to come later. We are beginning to frame the second floor today and roof by mid week (next week). Things are moving right along. 8)

Anyone out there with this brand of furnace? Made in Canada. I think Napoleon is the same as Continental, same manufacturer according the the address and same spec sheet.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LittleJohn

Any reason why you didn't put tubing in the slab, before you poured the floor if you knew you where going with a wood boiler?

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LittleJohn

My apologizing, I read that wrong.

My dads old place had a wood fired furnace; he always had a backup gas furnace only used in rare cases or when we were gone for extended time in winter. He was also in town, that is why gas backup vs electric.

Only drawback I see with electric is either the cost, vs. gas backup (not sure of the rates in your area).  Another thing to consider, is the reliability of the electric; now that parents live in the country that is why they have LP backup, lots of trees in area like to knock the lines out

scouter Joe

I do not have a Napoleon but I do have a Newmac wood with electric backup furnace . We installed it in 2001 and its heated our 2400 square foot house log house since then . We only use the electric when we go away for a few days . It's been OK but not great .I believe they are manufactured in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick . I'd also like to hear from anyone who has first hand experience with the Nepoleon .scouter Joe

SwampDonkey

Quote from: LittleJohn on September 10, 2018, 09:46:43 AM
My apologizing, I read that wrong.

My dads old place had a wood fired furnace; he always had a backup gas furnace only used in rare cases or when we were gone for extended time in winter. He was also in town, that is why gas backup vs electric.

Only drawback I see with electric is either the cost, vs. gas backup (not sure of the rates in your area).  Another thing to consider, is the reliability of the electric; now that parents live in the country that is why they have LP backup, lots of trees in area like to knock the lines out
For power outages, generator to run wood side, just need the blower fan. Electric is backup for being away from home and is much cheaper than gas or oil. No gas line near here anyway or LG delivery.

SwampDonkey

The new stove works great. :) And she has definitely been on a few days. A rather cool fall this year. ;)

Facebook video

hedgerow

Good to see you got it installed and up and running. We have been burning a lot more wood in the Garn than we normally do for Oct. 

Thank You Sponsors!