iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I think I just bought a used Cooks AC-36

Started by customcutter01, November 24, 2017, 06:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customcutter01

I just made a deal for a used (about 10yrs old) Cook AC-36).  I say "I think I bought it",   because the last saw I thought I bought the man sent me a text a few hours before I was supposed to head to SC and pick it up that he had decided to keep it.  I knew at the time, that God had a better plan for me so I was only upset for a few minutes, before realizing things would work out better in the end, and I'm sure they have.

I've got to call the Bank Monday morning and move some funds around and then go pick up the saw.  I tried to leave a deposit on it, but the man wouldn't take it.

Turns out I've been cruising the internet on CL, Sawmill Exchange, and The Sawyers Trading Place, for 2 months or more.  I mentioned to a man that my in laws know that I was looking for a saw and he said he knew a guy that had one.  So I called and asked about it, hoping it was a Cooks and that I could see it run.  Turns out his brother, bought one as well (used), but never put it to work.  So I asked him to see if he was interested in selling it.  Turns out he was, 

It needs some TLC, because it hasn't been used in 4-5 years, and the motor is only a 27 or 28 HP Kohler, but I think it will cover my needs no problem.  It only has one hyd log dog, 1 manual, and no de-barker.  So I may do some up-grades depending on what I see I need.

Sorry no pics til Monday, but I promise, unless the deal goes south for some reason there will be pics here first.  She ain't pretty, but pretty ain't never done much for me, on any of my tools.

thanks,
Ken
Husqvarna 350 decked,ported,pop-up piston by me
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 570 rebuilding now
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
Cooks AC-36 Hyd Bandsaw Mill
New Holland TN65D

drobertson

Well then,, it looks like you may have a mill, Customcutter, and for not ever sawing this sounds like quite the big bite!?  I really hope all works out for you,, it's a chore, a pretty good chore. Not even going to the tender loving care part, this is a totally different chore.  My guess would be,,you have money, and you like projects, and most likely very capable of working through these (minor) obstacles if I may say,, so all the best to you and your endeavors. There are quite a few folks here that have shared similar experiences that you seem to may be going into? so get ready for some good feed back, and please, learn in your spare time to build a gallery of your progress,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customcutter01

Thanks, we wanted to build a log home 30+ years ago.  Back then a kit cost as much as a custom built home, and there were no interior walls, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, we are looking at doing it in AL, I always wanted to do it in Alaska when I was younger, no restrictions, etc.  Well Alabama's a lot warmer, and still pretty much restriction free, for now anyway.

We're looking for 50 acres or more with mature trees to harvest.  The problem is finding the mature trees.  I'm sure I'm going to have to hire some manual labor from time to time.  But I also plan on purchasing an older tractor or skid steer with hydraulics to handle the logs with.
Husqvarna 350 decked,ported,pop-up piston by me
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 570 rebuilding now
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
Cooks AC-36 Hyd Bandsaw Mill
New Holland TN65D

Thank You Sponsors!