iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln fan replacement

Started by forrestM, February 27, 2022, 01:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

Hello, 2 of my 3 fans died in the kiln recently. Was curious to see what kind of fans you guys use outside of the nyle fan kits. Attached is the name plate on the fans I have. The fan blades I have are still good and are for 1/2 inch shafts. Grainger has a suggested replacement but it has 5/8 inch shaft.  

YellowHammer

Any fan will work, as long as it is rated for continuous moderately high temp operation.  If you get a Grainger or TSC motor, make sure it doesn't have a thermal cut off.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Sod saw

Hi   forrestM,

Have you considered looking into having them rebuilt?  Try calling (sorry I do not know where you are located) a larger city where larger electrical companies may have someone who can do that kind of work.  May take a lot of phone call dead ends.  Rebuilding is becoming a lost art.

I have had many motors rebuilt for our incubators in years past.  My experience has been the it is less costly to have it rebuilt than new purchase (if its a good quality motor in the first place).

They are rated as continue ess duty.  Are they direct driver with the fan blade mounted directly on the motor shaft or do they have a belt to drive the fan blade that is mounted elsewhere?

It sounds like, from both YellowHammer and you, that they burn out often.  If that is the case, are they not large enough?  perhaps you need something larger than 1/4 hp.

Or perhaps they are not meant to take the sterilization heat.

More questions than answers here.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

YellowHammer

It's the high continuous heat that gets them.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

K-Guy

Part of the problem is that nobody makes a kiln duty motor under 2 hp and next is would you pay 3-5 times the price of the motors we have knowing that the ones in use now generally last 7-10 years?
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!