iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mushrooms!

Started by Woodcutter_Mo, August 19, 2017, 09:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcutter_Mo

I was visiting some relatives down the road from us and we got on the topic of mushrooms since we have been getting some rain and mild weather and they mentioned a mushroom they seen while checking fences. We went back there and checked it out and I first thought it was a young "hen of the woods" (maitake) but being a much lighter color we figured out it probably was what I believe to be a "Cauliflower mushroom". It was growing at the base of an oak tree.

We also found a few Chanterelles and a patch of small Oyster mushrooms on a dead stump. I'm going to check on the Oysters in a day or two and see if they mature. We went ahead and sampled the Cauliflower mushroom, it was worth picking. Tasted good sauted in butter along with the Chanterelles.

I'll post up more pics of mushrooms I find. If anyone else hunts and eats wild mushrooms, feel free to post up what you find.

And anyone else reading this, make sure you 100% positively ID an edible mushroom with a reputable source before consuming. There are poisonous look-alikes of many edible mushrooms. I only eat the ones that I know for sure won't make me sick  ;)

-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Woodcutter_Mo

I found a nice patch of oyster mushrooms today but they were a little too far gone. I did find a few in condition later.

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Woodcutter_Mo

Here's what I believe to be a "Bearded Tooth" mushroom (or a close relative in the Hericium family) I found starting in a pile of old firewood today.

Edit: This isn't a Hericium, after further research this was some kind of toothed shelf fungi

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

DPatton

A couple morel pics from this past spring.

Where I'm from are highly sought after for a few weeks every spring.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Woodcutter_Mo

Nice morel pics. We like the morels here too, something we always look forward to every spring  ;D
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

DPatton

Unfortunately i have only ever experienced the morels for picking and consuming of wild mushrooms. I know that I have several more varieties that are edible in my area but have never learned to safely and positively identify other varieties. Maybe its time I do some studying  :P so I can safely try a late summer / fall variety this season.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

DPatton

I finally tried a late summer / fall variety of mushroom from my area. Sorry I didn't take a pic of this little fellow before I cut it up and had it in the sauté pan. Just a few test pieces of puffball cut up and browning in butter. 

Once browned I added a bit of salt and pepper. Since this was my first rodeo with puffballs I was very cautious with identification and testing a small amount before diving into a soccer ball sized puffball steak ;). Two hours later and I'm still alive  :D :D! I was pleasantly surprised with It's delicious, mushroom flavor. I will definitely be harvesting and eating these babies more often.

D & S Sawmill Services

sawguy21

I won't pick as I'm not knowledgeable enough but sure enjoy eating them especially on a burger with a slice of cheddar. There is also nothing better than fresh wild mushroom soup.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

MAF143

8)  Yum, Yum,  we usually get several puffballs every year and we slice them up ans saute them.  Good stuff.
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

Corley5

We have friends who grow shiitake mushrooms in their woodlot.  They're not native wild fungi but pretty DanG good.  We traded some our maple syrup for a some of their mushrooms.  We got some fresh picked and some dehydrated.  Good trade 8) 8)  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ruffgear

I've been doing a bit of foraging..

chanterelle

Hen

Crusarius

I really wish I knew more about mushrooms and identifying them. The last couple years have been crazy amounts of mushrooms around. this weekend when pulling logs out of the woods I kept seeing puff balls or what I thought was them all over the place.

DPatton

Jesse and I took a few minutes tonight to go look for puffballs. Didn't take long to stumble onto all we could eat.

Many we found were to far along and the flesh inside was turning yellow and discolored. But we found plenty still good for eating. Took them back to the house and fixed several sautéed to a golden brown in butter with garlic and other seasonings. We also oiled, seasoned and grilled a few of them too.

br>

The kids and I really enjoyed them.

D & S Sawmill Services

MAF143

We had puffballs Thursday night for an appetizer.  Most of what I've found this year have been too far gone, but found 2 small ones that made a good skillet full.
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

Chop Shop

I picked about 20 lbs of chantrelles a few days ago.   Saved some for a couple days worth of omelettes and the rest pretty much filled my commercial sized dehydrator and are now in several jars for future use in soups n gravies.

Remember when picking the cauliflower shroom to cut it and leave a bit of the stump and it will grow back in the same place next year.   Always CUT the chanty too, dont pull/pick them.

Banjo picker

Chicken of the Woods.  We ate some.  Shared some with a friend and put the rest in the freezer  to use later.  

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Southside

I found a genuine Smurf house the other day under some cedars my cows were relaxing in.  Never seen one like it before.

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DMcCoy

I have a patch of Shaggy Mane's that come up by the sawmill each year.  Member of the ink cap family.  These do not last more than a day or so, grab them quickly or they turn to black mush.

DMcCoy

Our other local Shaggy - Shaggy Parasol.  These get BIG and stick out like a sore thumb.  They have a nutty flavor and are my favorite.  The cut stem MUST turn red/orange or you don't have the right ones.  There are look a likes that are not good for you, and there are suggestions that some people get a bad reaction to them.  Use caution!  I consider them to be better than canterelle's.  Meaty, and can get 8-9" on a 6" tall stalk -> easy to find. :)

WV Sawmiller

I found these 2 today as well as another big puffball I did not harvest today. I will go back and get it tomorrow as there is a big tree across my ATV trail I need to cut out of the way that is close by.

Is this first mushroom a hen of the woods or a chicken of the woods? If so I will go back and harvest it tomorrow. I took the picture right at dark after a bow hunting trip.

Is this edible?

I'll see when I cut this one if it is okay to eat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Okay, I went back yesterday and harvested the hen of the woods, confirmed that was what it was and cleaned it last night. Tonight I was looking for recipes to cook it and saw a suggestion about stir frying so I grabbed my wok, coated the bottom well with olive oil and finely diced a garlic clove then when it was hot I added a big double handful of the mushrooms and covered. Meanwhile I was boiling a box of tri-color pasta noodles. I drained the noodles when done and cooked most of the water out of the mushrooms, salted lightly, added black pepper and soy sauce then added the noodles and heated through. Pretty tasty IMHO. I'd rather have used egg noodles but we were out. Maybe for the next batch.

I like cooking in a wok. I could easily see slicing a steak real thin and cooking it done then adding some more mushrooms and making a sauce with corn starch and water cooking done and serving over rice.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 15, 2018, 08:28:31 PM
  Okay, I went back yesterday and harvested the hen of the woods, confirmed that was what it was and cleaned it last night. Tonight I was looking for recipes to cook it and saw a suggestion about stir frying so I grabbed my wok, coated the bottom well with olive oil and finely diced a garlic clove then when it was hot I added a big double handful of the mushrooms and covered. Meanwhile I was boiling a box of tri-color pasta noodles. I drained the noodles when done and cooked most of the water out of the mushrooms, salted lightly, added black pepper and soy sauce then added the noodles and heated through. Pretty tasty IMHO. I'd rather have used egg noodles but we were out. Maybe for the next batch.

I like cooking in a wok. I could easily see slicing a steak real thin and cooking it done then adding some more mushrooms and making a sauce with corn starch and water cooking done and serving over rice.

Looks tasty! Yup that looks like a hen of the woods to me. Ive been keeping an eye out for them in my area, however no luck so far. The "chicken of the woods" or "sulfer shelf" is more orange in color (as in Banjo picker's pictures). They're pretty good eating also, they do have a texture almost like chicken and a fairly meaty flavor. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

WV Sawmiller

Happy Birthday.

We had several good meals off the Hen of the Woods. Had the Pasta shown above, made steak and mushrooms and served it over rice, took the leftover and diced it up and made fried rice with that, added some to a frozen pizza and with the last made egg noodles and mushrooms. All but the pizza were wok meals. All were very good and I'll be very alert for any more I see.
Howard Green

LaneC

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good mushroom identification book? I have also wanted to edge u ma cate myself on edible mushrooms. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Man makes plans and God smiles

curved-wood

I had to be patient ( 2 years !) before I had eaten my first wild mushroom. We took 2 days of formation with 2 different teams. But friends guiding us was the best learning. I dont eat very many different species ...may 4 or 5. But that gives me plenty. Last summer we harvested propably around 100 pounds mostly chanterelles and lobster mushroom. I stick only to the one I know very well.  Although I am still learnig a lot I dont take chances

Thank You Sponsors!