iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Would a hedge trimmer work better?

Started by Larry, June 03, 2003, 01:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Don't know what scotch broom is but I would think with any kind of trimming regrowth would be a problem and you would be right back doing the same thing in a month or two.

Is chemical spraying an option?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

D._Frederick

I  have young cedar trees growing in 1/4 to 1/2 acre spots that I have replanted after select logging. It has scotch broom and berry vines growing with the cedar. Would a hedge trimmer that cuts up to 1 1/2 stems work to keep this clear?Would this be better than a string trimmmer with a blade? I have tried the trimmer, but it is scary to use.

MrMoo

I have a brush cutter (string trimmer). I can mount a circular blade or a 4 edged blade on it.
I cut small saplings up to 3" with the circular blade. It works well without having to bend down to cut. I do wear chaps when running it though.
The 4 edge blade cuts heavy green stuff no problem.
I'd say something like this would work ok but you need the usual caution.

Steve

Years ago I did some thinning and "release" for the forest service in N. CA. Two of us used Model B45 Shindawa weedeaters with blades. These worked great for clearing around existing trees as well as thinning of unwanted ones. Did 40 arcres with one.
The thing to remember that makes these easier to use is to cut from the right direction.

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

MrMoo

Steve is correct only use the upper left portion of the blade from the 9 to 12 o'clock position.

Thank You Sponsors!