iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

End lumber paint

Started by Demac, June 26, 2018, 01:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demac

Hi, does anybody know what kind of paint do they use in sawmills to paint the end of the lumber packs e.g like the photo below? Can i find it in ebay? If i am in a wrong section please transfer it. Thanks.  

WV Sawmiller

Most of us use Anchorseal, a wax coating you can buy directly from UC Coatings. Last i bought was $95 for 5 gallons shipping included in east coast region of USA. You can buy different colors if you want to color code. I paint my logs and use the clear so I can see the checks to guide my sawing. It remains on the rough sawed lumber so I don't paint again unless I trim off the original coat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Just Right

If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

samandothers

Yup, recon I could hit the like button!

Clear anchor seal.

maple flats

Use the Anchorseal, works best if applied the day the tree is dropped, and bucked.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

PAmizerman

Yep anchorseal from uc coatings
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

bandmiller2

Anyone use miss mixed paint from Lowes or Home Depot. ?? Frank C. 
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moodnacreek

Frank, yes with news paper and as others have said, put a.s.a.p. on the fresh cut log.

Demac

Thank you all for the answers . I would prefer something located in europe because i cant find anchorseal in europe. 

fishfighter

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 26, 2018, 08:47:29 PM
Anyone use miss mixed paint from Lowes or Home Depot. ?? Frank C.

I use any left over paint. Had no problems.

WDH

I have found paint to not be useless, but very close :).  I would not waste my time with paint.  Has not worked well for me at all. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wayback40

For those who use Anchorseal.  How do you put it on (ie. paint brush, roller, sprayer)?
Wood-Mizer LT15

submarinesailor

We have used all the above.  Like the 4" paint roller the best.  With a full roller, I like to start at the bottom of a log face while pressing hard enough to work a wedge of sealant as I go up the face.

Bruce

WV Sawmiller

I slap mine on to the log very liberally with a 4" paint brush - preferably as soon as I buck the log, especially with fast checking logs like ash and cherry.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

OffGrid973

One coat of UC Anchor on the ok logs using a disposable thick nap roller(you can use it for many days if limited # logs, just keep in a freezer bag.   Walnut and the prize honey locust I will give a second coating in the opposite rolling direction.

Spend the money and ship the product to yourself, first nice slab sold pay for the bucket.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

firefighter ontheside

A quick search found something called mobilcer-m that may be available to you.  It's also a wax emulsion.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

I spray mine on with the back pack sprayer they sell.  Works great, and very fast.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Lookin4GoodLife

Do you guys prefer Anchorseal or Anchorseal 2?

WDH

To me, Anchorseal coats better and does a better job than Anchorseal 2. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

teakwood

Quote from: Demac on June 27, 2018, 04:00:44 PM
Thank you all for the answers . I would prefer something located in europe because i cant find anchorseal in europe.
I have seen a big sawmill here using normal candle wax. you can buy it cheap in blocks. the problem is you need to heat it in a pan. could be a electrical cooker or fire or gasburner.
it will get liquid when warm and form a thick layer when it cools of on the log 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

scsmith42

Folks, I think that we're missing the original question.

In production operations, typically lumber stacks are trimmed and painted after kiln drying.  The photo posted by the OP show this.  It's not the same as end sealer that is applied much earlier in the process.

UC Coatings not only sells end sealer for logs and green lumber, they also sell water based paint for branding packaged lumber.  I believe that this product is what the OP requested.

For the OP, go to USCOATING.con and see if you can find some European based distributors.

Re end sealers, like Danny I have found better results from Anchorseal Classic, as opposed to Anchorseal II.  I also prefer the winter formula as that way I don't have to worry about the drums freezing and the product going bad in my storage area.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Pabene

I have used that kind of "paint" as you have to seal walls before you put on glazed tile in bath rooms. It is more expensive but it is elastic and it is very good. I have it for my most valuable logs.

Thank You Sponsors!