iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Paint

Started by bugdust, May 18, 2010, 04:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugdust

After beginning with a WM LT40 non-hydraulic, I upgraded to the LT40 Hydraulic. The previous mill showed very little wear when sold, especially the paint. I didn't have the new mill but a couple weeks when I notice the paint blistering along the top frame. Eventually the blisters broke and I had bare metal underneath. I was under the impression the mill received a coat of primer first, then the notorious orange paint. I contacted Indy, along with pictures, and they advised that they would provide the paint if I wanted to take it to a body shop. Needless to say I didn't, but called and asked Marty to send a couple spray cans to touch up with  Great guy Marty! I haven't seen further indication since the original blistering, just a little disappointed paying that much $ and see the paint job going south. But it's just paint, the main point is it still saws perfectly. By the way, the Indy guy said they were considering powder coating in the future.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Bibbyman

Here is a link to a video on the WM website "Making of a Wood-Mizer"

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/makingSawmill/video.aspx

It shows them using primer paint and remarking on the orange paint being applied electrostatic.   The copyright on the video is 2007 so I guess they've been doing it that way for awhile.

We've had three Wood-Mizers and although the paint has faded,  I've seen no evidence of paint coming off without some rational reason.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

I doubt that it was the paint.....probably the prep.  Chances are there was oil on the affected surface.   You have already sprayed it, but in the future for cleaning, use lacquer thinner.  It will remove all traces of contaminants.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LOGDOG

I'm a little shocked myself. Of all the WoodMizers I've had ( I guess 5 now ...) the paint is one of the things I've been most pleased with. I've actually wondered how in the world they do such a good job of applying it so that it doesn't let go in high traffic areas. It does fade but usually hangs on for years and years. The mill I have right now could use a fresh paint job though. It's faded a good bit and I'd like to freshen it up. I wonder if WoodMizer is selling their paint yet? I'd like to buy enough to spray my mill when I'm done prepping it. Even faded though, I'll go to the window in the morning and look out while I drink my coffee and that mill still brings a smile to my face.   :)

Jasperfield

Powder coating is a MISTAKE, not an error!

It forms a "rigid" shell about the metal and when cracked will wick moisture via capillary action.

I'd advise (consult) WM to use a two-part epoxy system. Such a system will bond the primer to the steel, rather than encapsulate the steel by a coating.

The aviation industry has already been down the "powder coat" road and didn't like what they saw.

Google "Supercub.org" and "powder coating" for information, leads, etc.

LOGDOG

I thought the KitFox airframes were powder coated. No? Interesting....

zopi

Somewhere over in the sawmill mods thread, I think, is the Napa paint code for WM orange...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Jasperfield

Logdog:

Kitfoxes were powder coated.

But, they were Kitfoxes.

bugdust

LOGDOG,
I imagine you could get WM paint since they once made me the offer. Zopi says NAPA might have the blend. Bibbyman noted the video of WM making the mill, which I have seen, and it shows rotating the mill to get an even coating. Magicman is correct, it was probably in preparing the metal for painting that caused the blistering. Jasperfield made a good comment of powder coating. My preference would be the type of coating on steel piping used in the natural gas business. We call it "thin film", but it's actually an epoxy coating that is tough enough that it has to be ground off. Thanks for all the responses.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Bibbyman

Son and I did a driveway restoration of the 68 442.  It was our first paint job.  It was far from perfect or professional but it stood up well for five years or so.  Then a big patch right over the left rear fender well blistered off.  I can just imagine leaning there with my left hand resting on the finder as I sanded. 
Sawing since '94

pineywoods

I made a few new sheet metal parts for my old LT40. Found paint in spray cans at NAPA store. Labeled Industrial Orange. It matched perfectly.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bibbyman

I used AGCO paint from the farm store.  It looked a bit brighter when first applied but soon matched the rest of the mill.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!