iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bombardier JW67 Help Please

Started by 8valve, November 12, 2012, 07:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8valve

I own a 1967 Bombardier JW-67.  She is powered with a Chrysler Industrial 265 CID engine.  Back in 1995, I tore her down to a bare belly pan and did a total rebuild on everything.  During the rebuild, I added a 20 gpm/2000 psi hydraulic system.  She now carries a 6 foot snow blade/power angle, Braden HU8A hydraulic winch.

I fab'ed a three point hitch on the rear for a 8' AmericaEquip Back Hoe and a Valby Chipper.  The Backhoe worked well but was very inconvenient to use and you had to get off the hoe and climb in the SW-67 cab to make moves.  I fab'ed a Logging Arch on the rear.  She has served me well.

I recently built a new shop.  During the move from the old shop, I have mis-filed (that means I lost ) my papers with the Points, condenser, rotor and coil part numbers.

Does anyone have the above part numbers ?  I tried my local NAPA, they claim they dont have any reference to Bombardier Tracked  Machines.  I would like to get the numbers and do a total tune up before the snow files.

Pictures at;

NOTE FROM ADMIN: Links to offsite photos are not allowed. Photos must be uploaded to your forestry forum gallery.
Link to rules at the bottom of every page
Link to photo posting instructions here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

Many Thanks
8Valve

sprucebunny

Is your machine 48" wide ? That's alot of stuff you've added, I'd love to see a picture.

The best way I found to get parts for my J5 was to find out which truck had that motor and ask for parts for that.
Also Google 'vintage Power Wagons'. They list many parts for the 251/265 and you might find the numbers there.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Please put your pics in your gallery (see "Behind the Forum" on the Home index page for any help).

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,16.0.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

8valve

Quote from: sprucebunny on November 12, 2012, 07:04:39 PM
Is your machine 48" wide ? That's alot of stuff you've added, I'd love to see a picture.

The best way I found to get parts for my J5 was to find out which truck had that motor and ask for parts for that.
Also Google 'vintage Power Wagons'. They list many parts for the 251/265 and you might find the numbers there.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum !
Thanks for the Vintage Power Wagons tip.  I will check it out.  I will have to watch Jeff's Videos on making the photo gallery next time I am in the Village Library.  I cant watch them at home as we live very remote and I connect to the web on dial up, with a 24.4K connection.  The village library has high speed internet.

Yes my JW-67 is 48" wide

8Valve

Shotgun

Welcome 8valve.  Then next time you're in the library with that high speed Internet connection consider entering your "general" location in your profile so we'll know where you're "talking" from. Profile is at the top of every page.  It helps out in a lot of ways.

Glad you're here.  You'll like it.

Norm 
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

8valve

Quote from: Shotgun on November 12, 2012, 08:44:51 PM
Welcome 8valve.  Then next time you're in the library with that high speed Internet connection consider entering your "general" location in your profile so we'll know where you're "talking" from. Profile is at the top of every page.  It helps out in a lot of ways.

Glad you're here.  You'll like it.

Norm

Thanks Norm.  Location has been added

8Valve

Ironwood

Welcome 8valve,

You better get her going, your about to......well you know, get buried in snow whilest freezing your backside off.

Many many trips from here to there for outdoor stuff, winter/summer/fall. Wonderful place,.....always remember an 80+ year old guy in the traffic line behind a tree that fell on 3N (or 9N) outside Watertown w/in the Blue line in -10 temps (winter) grabbing his Stihl from his late model fancy Cadillac's trunk "ya gotta be ready for anything up here".....*DanG that was coool. I always love a place (any place) that nature keeps us humans in line and knowing who is boss. I used to attend/participate in the Rustic Funiture Show at the museum, and taught building at Great Camp Sagamore. ....I love the Daks...

I love those little tracked units, I have an Industrial 6 in one of my machines here.....Also, almost bought a Bomi, but went with more of construction piece track machine I found while on the road home from the Daks 4-5 years ago. I throw a pic in for fun, this unit doesnt get nearly the "float" you need up North.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

8valve

Ironwood;

Yupper, snow has already been flying.  Its just a matter of time till we get buried.  The Daks are very beautiful, especially when you get remote in the bush.  I made my Bombardier into a general purpose machine.  Cant rip shale  LOL, but she has pushed some really large rock.  It handled Item 4 on all my drive ways with ease.  Nice machine in your picture !

8Valve

North River Energy

Notes from the previous owner of my SW 48 (1967 Chrysler 251):

(The following might cross to something useful)
Rotor AL-151
Cap AL-138
Condensor AL-106
Points AL-4556p
Plugs J-11

Gap .018-.020
Dwell 28-33

8valve

North River Energy
Many Thanks, just what I needed.  I am off to NAPA.

Thank You
8Valve

thecfarm

8valve,welcome to the forum. Sounds like you did alot of work to your Bombardier. I had stuff wrote on the wall of my garage for my Ford truck.  ;D At least you have a library in town.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

8valve

Maybe this is a good time to discuss a looming costly adventure since we are talking about old Bombardiers.

The tracks are a scary issue.  My tracks at this time are OK.  But I have read that new tracks are $3000 USD each.  I question the prudence in dropping 6K in 2 tracks on a old machine.

Has anyone come up with a solution to re-track and not buy Bombardier tracks.  I have thought about two strips of heavy conveyor belting the proper width.  Then bolt the growsers on at the proper interval.  This woudl probably save thousands, but woudl it stand the test of working the machine.

Your thoughts/opinions are most welcome.

8Valve

beenthere

Take a look at the skid steer tracks that are in use now, and see if 1) they can be adapted to the JW67 and 2) if they are any less expensive than the Bombarier.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sprucebunny

Try http://mn-outdoors.com for belts and maybe even used grousers.

Four years ago it cost me $3000 for a complete track for my J5 ( 2 inches wider).

If you learn a little about conveyer belt, you can find used pieces that are long enough and cut them to width and punch them yourself. It's a little time consuming. A 4-5 ply belt is a good starting point.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ironwood

One of the most interesting things I find on the older Bombi units IS the tracks. They look VERY simple. I would try to make my own. Conveyor belting is EVERYWHERE and it seems given the simplicity of the "system" a person could build the tracks. On the other hand my Yanmar is NO way able to have tracks replaced by a "home assembled" version. I LIKE it. ..............go for it.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!