iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling all old time hay farmers

Started by timberfaller390, March 05, 2010, 06:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

Anybody have any expierance with a New Holland 77 baler? I just bought one it's all there but the motor is stuck. I plan on restoreing it but I could really use a manual or a good lead to find one. I have not picked it up yet so I don't know alot about it. The knotter and needles are on the side of the bale chamber instead of on top. I believe this is a late 50's model. It has a hydraulic bale tensioner. I need to know how to time the knotter. Any help or info anybody has on this baler would be much obliged.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

Disregard the question about the manual. I found several on fleabay. I would still like to hear from anyone who has ran one.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Roxie

Cowboy Bob had one and he said that it's the same as running a standard baler.  The only thing to look out for is vapor locking.  (If you take a lunch break, just let it run at idle).

Say when

Don_Papenburg

Sounds like it has a Wisconsin engine ,V4 .  If you need an engine I have three   One is junk the other two are in good shape . I will make you a deal . All three for one low price .  send me a message if interested.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Dave Shepard

My father ran those balers, I'll see what he has to say. I think there might still be a relic of a 77 of Super 77 in the woods.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JV

My father had a 76 canvas feed and my father-in-law had a 77.  I hated both because I swear you could make a 100 lb. straw bale.  If I remember right, the bale chamber was 16 x 18.  Occasionally you would get a double bale that took two guys and a mule to move.  Guys talked about baling 1000 bales a day with them.  In their prime they could eat a triple raked windrow.  The crew on the wagon got a real workout.  I learned real fast how to work on knotters with those two balers.  Good old days, NOT! 
:D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

low_48

Oh man, does that bailer bring back memories. The only times I heard my Dad cuss more when trying to start that engine, was when we were loading hogs. That Wisconsin could vapor lock on an 80 degree day, or so it seemed. Yup, started it before it left the machine shed, shut it off when we backed it in. JV is right, you could make a big bale with them.

CLL

My friends dad had one, it was a hoss. We baled some oats that a man had planted on land he wasn't supposed to and the county ag agent told him he had seven days to get them off the field. The problem was it had rained about 3" in the last couple of days. we ended up pulling the tractor and baler through the field with with the winch on an old army truck. The oats was so wet every time the plunger hit water would squirt ten feet in the air. Like I said tough, but ill tempered to start. Oh, the good old days, hundred pound double bales, bales full of weeds, what fun I had.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Kcwoodbutcher

Check the New Holland web site they may have a manual online for free. I got one for a 274 but I don't know if they go back as far as yours.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

timberfaller390

Quote from: JV on March 05, 2010, 10:27:31 PM
My father had a 76 canvas feed and my father-in-law had a 77.  I hated both because I swear you could make a 100 lb. straw bale.  If I remember right, the bale chamber was 16 x 18.  Occasionally you would get a double bale that took two guys and a mule to move. 
Your right the bales are 16x18, that's why I want to get this baler going I will use it for alfalfa.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on March 06, 2010, 12:50:54 AM
Check the New Holland web site they may have a manual online for free. I got one for a 274 but I don't know if they go back as far as yours.
How did you find your manual on the NH site? I looked but couldn't find a manual of any kind.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

thecfarm

We had one just about the same time frame.I have no idea the model of it.But ours tied on top.Maybe early 50's type.Ours worked good.Except for the tieing.Would work fine all day,than miss 2-6 bales and be fine for another day or 2 hours.Would have to kick the bales around and make sure we got all of the string.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

My father said one time they were baling alongside a John Deere baler one time and the Deere kicked a bale over into the New Hollands windrow. It ate the little Deere bale and didn't even burp. :D I guess the only way to kill them was to put a 1" grade 8 bolt in instead of a shear pin.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kcwoodbutcher

Quote from: timberfaller390 on March 06, 2010, 08:26:49 AM
Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on March 06, 2010, 12:50:54 AM
How did you find your manual on the NH site? I looked but couldn't find a manual of any kind.
It's been a few years since I did it, maybe they don't have them any more.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

tractormanNwv

Hello,

Everyone of Us that Cranked Our Guts out on a Wisconsin Learned to Hate Them, most Wisconsin"s after getting to Operating Temperature and being shut off will Drive You Crazy, But I'm sure You"ll find that adding some marvel mystry oil to the Fuel will Help..(not cure) but Help when Trying to Restart Them. It has always been My Experience that a valve will always tend to stick open when hot then Free up when it cools down.

arj

http://www.manuals.us/newholland.aspx
Try This link I got a manual for a super 78 last year
                              arj

timberfaller390

Quote from: arj on March 09, 2010, 10:26:42 PM
http://www.manuals.us/newholland.aspx
Try This link I got a manual for a super 78 last year
                              arj
Hey thanks for the link. I got the baler to the shop the other day (pics to come) It really is in pretty good shape. It is rusty but mostly surface. the tool box is rusted out but not the bale chamber. The wisconsin engine is stuck. I got 2 original manuals for the motor when I got the baler. I didn't realize it was electric start when I bought it. The oil looks good so I don't think it will be that hard to get going again.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

tmroper

You guys have alfalfa in Ga. ?   When I am square baling I use a 16 x 18 Hesston it really makes a nice bale but those alfalfa bales can get heavy quick.  We mostly bale for ourselves but when we have extra we sell it.   :D It seems like one year the customers will complain about the bales being to heavy and the next I will lighten them up and they complain about them being to light.  Go figure.  My neighbor has the same baler you just purchased and he really gets along with it great should be a good baler for you.  We mostly put up rounds so we can use a bale bed on a pickup or a hydra bed but we always put enough squares to use in the barn when calving or if the weather gets rough we try to feed with the team.  Good luck with your baler.

timberfaller390

Yeah we have alfalfa here. A special type bred strictly for North Georgia called bulldog 505. I am the only one around that grows hay as a crop, everyone else just bales the field that they don't have any other use for. Very few people around here will take the time and effort to produce good quality hay. I see alot of absolute junk. About the most you will see anybody do is plant bermuda and maybe put some chicken litter on it every couple of years. I take soil samples before I establish a new field and every year before hay season to make sure I have a good crop. I spend alot of money on soil samples, fertilizor and having my hay analized but it pays off because I have some of the best hay around and can charge accordingly.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

CLL

I used to live in north Alabama years ago, a stand of alfalfa would last 3-4 years due to the poor soil and fescue. I hauled  thirty eight tractor trailer loads loads out of kentucky one year, sold all of it off the trailer for $1.50 per bale profit.
Too much work-not enough pay.

timberfaller390

I get 5-7 years out of a stand of alfalfa
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!