iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark 664 Skidder

Started by nippy2010, February 15, 2012, 11:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nippy2010

Hey I'm looking at buying a Clark 664 Skidder.  Does anyone know anything about them?  I'm also after specs (Lenght Width and Height) but I'm having trouble finding info.
Any help would be apreciated.
Cheers

mad murdock

Welcome to the forestry forum nippy2010. I can't give you details, I can tell you from my perspective of running one back in the 80's for a week that I could yard 3-4 truckloads of logs a day, which included me hooking and unhooking chokers, and delimbing and bucking. We had a JD cat with a shear head doing the snipping of the trees. It had a 353 detroit, an Allison automatic trans, the winch worked very well and you could load up all 8 choker winch up to the butt plate put it in fwd and mash the throttle to the floor.   That machine had a low cg, was real stable and was quite a worker!  I almost bought it.  Others on here will be able to give you details about maintenance and parts. I didn't run it enough to get into that with it.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

rockwall

I bought a 1977 664B a few years ago and have been very happy with it. I think it is a very powerful and stable machine for its size. You can go to Allied Systems Publication Locater and download (free) parts manuals and operator manuals. In the back of the operator's are the specs.

rick f

There a good machine. Mine is a 1967, 664. Got it about a year and a half ago. I cleaned out the winch and freed it up, went in the woods. I'd get another one in a heart beat if I needed one.
Welcome to the forum. Old seabee will be along and he is a wealth of info on them.

Good luck
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

oldseabee

The only specs that I have as to dimensions are for a F666 cable which will be a little larger and heavier then the 664.
Height on 28L 26 tires 125.5 inches, on 18.4-34 tires 126.8 inches
length 246 inches
width 106.8- 118.3 inches depending on tires.
Weight front axle 12,730 lbs.
rear axle 8,980 lbs.

timbuck2

One outfit I worked with had a Clark 662 Ranger, never saw another one like it, must have been pre-664.  I had a 667c  for about 3 months, (bring alot of fuel), it would start ok but it would blow the dipstick out of it's tube. One piston had a hole in the top that looked just like someone shot it with a .22

oldseabee

662 was a different animal. It had the same 28000 transmission as the 667-668 and only had one steer cylinder, so it would steer faster in one direction but had more power in the other direction.

Maine372

clarks are good compact stable machines. they are heavier than some similar counterparts, but that adds to the stability. ive been told one of the transmissions is very expensive to work on but dont remember which one.

rockwall

I was told by Harold's Logging the clark's transmission is the cadillacs of transmissions. I know mine works great. The winch is incredibly powerful. It is a nice beefy little machine and you can still buy parts for them.

oldseabee

That 2420 transmission was used in a lot of the early Clark front end loaders also, the difference was that the loaders didn't have a PTO and the clutch pressure was 180 -220 PSI where the skidder required 240 - 280 to operate the winch freespool.

Thank You Sponsors!