iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this thorny tree?

Started by Jeff, March 07, 2011, 11:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

My Sister is living in Ocala for the winter, so this is somewhere near that area. She sent me the photo to have you guys I.D. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pineywoods

Looks like what we call devil's walking stick. Never heard any other name.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

Aralia spinosa, devils walking stick.  Also called tooth ache tree, peel the bark and put it on your tongue, will deaden it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Yep, Devil's Walking Stick.  Also called "a stick".

Hit someone up side of the head with it and it will hurt.  It  might even "deaden" it.  ;D

Texas Ranger

It is usually the tree on the other side of the creek when you jump and lose your balance, and try to grab something.

ely

its called Prickly Bark Ash.... at least it is around here. ive also heard it called toothache tree. it will numb your mouth and to me its acutally hotter than jalapenos until it gets numb.  makes my lips swell really bad though.

anyway, the guys that buy snakeroot also buy that bark , it is used in medicine or something.

SwampDonkey

Out west along the coast mountains the understory in places has a nastier shrub called the devil's club. It's a mass of needle sized spines, even the leaves. When you slip and slide on those greasy wet mountains you grab that stuff before you nose dive or land on your but.  :D :D :D That thing ain't even got half the density of spines a devil's club has. ;) I was doing layout on a block in the upper Skeena and it was solid club, you couldn't see the blow down and so was constantly tripping and grabbing. Miserable place to be in. I'm glad I'm back in NB. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Tom

Quote"Out west along the coast mountains the understory in places has a nastier shrub called the devil's club."

Oh Yeah!?!?  Well down souther'n here the sandspurs are the size of golf balls.  They're a lot worse than your club thingy

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

Honey locust has spines, but nothing like club.  ;D

Now, I'm doubly glad I'm up here. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

I'd vote for Zanthoxylum clava-herculis (Hercules' club)

The pics are near identical to the one Jeff posted.

That is referred to as the southern Prickly Ash or pepperwood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanthoxylum_clava-herculis

In the midwest, is the common Prickly Ash, Zanthoxylum americanum

It's stem (bark) isn't as decorated with the thorns as Jeff's pic, and the stem is darker color.

We have that in the midwest and it is almost as bad as multiflora rose. Get into a thicket of it, and almost cannot get out.

Also recall SD's Devils Club on the island of Wrangell, AK. When you slip, there is always one right there to grab hold of and rip out your hand. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I looked at Beenthere's choice and I think it is exactly on.  The photo's for that are much closer then devil's walking stick

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Oh yeah!??!  well you can propel a shaft of sandspurs, with the flick of a wrist, as far as twenty feet 8) and pin a girls blouse to her back such that it'll take a bevy of Mama's to free her.

beenthere

Did you get in trouble for that, or did Charlie?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

It was in retaliation for being chased and kissed.

SwampDonkey

Well, what happened to the notion of using a friendly hand. Why be so rough?  :-X   ;D :D :D :D

Better stop there.  ;D

Mooseherder

We have a few of deese.  Different but thorny. ;)

WDH

I bet my sand spur is thornier than your sand spur!  Take that  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Where's my wild cucumbers and burdocks?  :D

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Those other thorny things scratch.  Ty's specimen scars  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

tyb525

And they take over in the blink of an eye! My grandfather had one stick in his head when he was mowing underneath one. I've had countless holes and scratches in my body from them, and my dad has had them poke through coveralls and jeans into his leg, sometimes breaking off under the skin requiring home surgery to remove.

Paul_H

Quote from: Tom on March 07, 2011, 06:24:50 PM
Quote"Out west along the coast mountains the understory in places has a nastier shrub called the devil's club."

Oh Yeah!?!?  Well down souther'n here the sandspurs are the size of golf balls.  They're a lot worse than your club thingy

sez you smiley_kid
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

Yep!  I've been in a thicket of both.  Sandspurs will stop you dead in your tracks.  :P ;D

Looks like I was wrong in calling that a devil's walking stick.
http://www.lnps.org/articles/ToothacheHercules.html

Thank You Sponsors!