iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID needed.

Started by Dave Shepard, November 04, 2011, 01:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

There was a discussion at work today about the identity of a tree on one of our jobs. I think it might be a hawthorne, but I always knew it as a thornapple. Tall slender tree with branches growing almost parallel to the trunk.

I can't seem to do a mobile upload, I'll put up a couple pics when I get home.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dodgy Loner

Thornapple and hawthorn are synonymous. Both refer to the Crataegus genus.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Yes, the old timers around here always used the term thornapple, sometimes even thornplum, for hawthorn. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Never saw a Crataegus with limbs nearly parallel to the trunk and a tall slender tree.  Me thinks it is something else.

Pictures, we like pictures.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Sounds a lot like willow don't it? Jeff had a photo of one up his way (the UP) that was pussy willow to some of us.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

SwampDonkey

This was Jeff's willow.

Could be poplar too, yup.

I had some big willow on a field plantation this year I couldn't cut with a brush saw and I can cut an 8-9" but.

Dave Shepard

Ok, I'm finally back. I thought that hawthorn and thornapple might be the same. I've got a pic of the bark and of the leaves. The twigs end in a thorn, but not like the thorn apple that I remember as a kid. The thorn apple had smooth thorns about 2 to 3 inches long.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bill m

Dave,
Where is this tree? I can take a look at it if you want.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Dave Shepard

It's at the quarry on East road. Getting an ID isn't too important, we were just curious, you don't have to drive all the way out there. Although you are welcome to take a look. It's on the south side of the south driveway about fifty yards in. Thanks anyway.

It's been a longtime since I looked in a book, but I remember hawthorne having a lobed leaf, not smooth like these are.

bill m

Next week I will be stopping on West Center Rd. to look at some Oak then going to the landing on N. Egremont Rd. to pick up firewood. I'm curious as to what it is so I'll stop by.

WDH

It is definitley in the same family as hawthorne, the Rose family.  Looks like a fruit tree, maybe some type of pear tree.  There are a whack of different pear trees.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bill m

That's why I want to look at it. The bark looks similar to the Asian pear I have in my yard and I have never seen another one anywhere.

SwampDonkey

Yeah, not willow or hawthorn. The bark and leaves suggest apple, pear or plum.

Texas Ranger

Fruit tree, kinda looks like pear.

Dave Shepard

Keep in mind the twigs end in a thorn.

bill m

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 05, 2011, 07:58:23 AM
Keep in mind the twigs end in a thorn.
Is this on all of them or just on the newer growth. On my Asian pear they are mostly on the newer growth.

Texas Ranger

tractorfarmer

I think its a hawthorn, but there's so many varieties.

SwampDonkey

Some wild plums and even apple trees are thorny, only the apples tend to have a bud on the short shoot where the plums and hawthorn are sharp pointed.

Dodgy Loner

Sure looks like a pear to me.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Texas Ranger

Not only that, but, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Dodgy

Dodgy Loner

Hey, thanks for noticing TR!  8)

I had a great birthday and I was hoping for it to be even more special than usual - my wife and I are expecting our firstborn any day now - but the day came and went without the addition of a family member. It should happen within a week :)

WDH

When the baby comes, you better post a pic or we will stick you with a thorn from Dave's pear tree  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!