iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Custom 5hp Foley-Belsaw beam-planer on track system build.

Started by kastle, March 23, 2014, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kastle

I'm doing a build on a 1970's $70 foley-belsaw planer moulder I bought at auction to plane my 24' beams and columns.

I thought you all might be interested.

http://youtu.be/-GiiDHsnA6g

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

morgoon

I have the same planer and built a phase converter thru a10hp 3ph to run its 5 hp motor

It needs new feed rollers... Never thought about using on my saw

Neat idea!

Btw I used to use a garbage bag over my saw motor to protect it from the elements, but I ended up just using a piece of plywood set on top over the years :)
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Ljohnsaw

Welcome!  Well?  Did you make it yet?  ??? I want to see it!!!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Larry

Belsaw is still in business selling parts.  Do a google to find them.

I bought new rollers some years ago and think they were $30 something.  The front roller wears a lot more than the rear and will be cupped in the center.  This isn't all bad as it works great for lumber with a crown.  Boards will come out pretty close to flat.

With a 5 HP motor these machines can feed faster than the standard 12' a minute.  Belsaw sells a replacement sprocket and chain to boost the feed to 20 fpm.  Can't remember the cost.

There is a trick to changing bearings as they twist to come out.  Watch the bearing on the powered side as it is first to go.  If bad it can spin in the casting causing damage which is not easily repairable.  Better to put new bearings in a old machine if you plan on running it hard.

The down side is dust collection.  I've got a picture in my gallery of one I retrofitted.  Did another where I brought the dust out the top like the new ones.

These are great machines considering the price they bring.  One could buy several and sit one up to plane, and the next for molding.  Cheaper than tax and shipping on a new machine.

Welcome to the forum kastle...impressive first post with a video.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thechknhwk

Cguignard

Looks like the one I have pulled apart on my bench right now, I am retrofitting it to be powered by a gass engine so I can plane right at my drying piles.  Just got my last order of parts in, new stand made and new drive shaft and bearings installed. Just need to figure out belt lengths and clean rust off the table. 

21incher

Great video, welcome to the forum. I have that same planer that I bought in 1982. Have replaced the drive rollers and bushings once and it will definitely outlast me. I love to see people recycle old machinery into new projects.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Rockn H

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Forum.  Wish I still had my dad's old Folley Bellsaw Planer Molder... his had sprockets for the feed rollers though.

m wood

Welcome Kastle.  Cant wait to see the next vid when it is rolling down the EZ boardwalk tracks.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

morgoon

I'm digging that gas powered idea...

I have a 7.5 briggs I have been saving, might be just the thing!
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

hardtailjohn

Welcome Kastle....  hmmmmmmmmmm......a Big Mountain cap.... are you local?
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!