iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Battery powered saw for Christmas

Started by gspren, January 13, 2019, 09:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I was asked in another thread to report on my new battery saw, a Greenworks 40V 16" bar. I had a chance last year to use a friends saw, same model, to cut some 8-10" cherry branches that fell across a field access road and thought it would be handy to haul in my SUV during hunting season and in our RV for camping trips with no gas fumes in either. This is not a premium saw and not what I will use for firewood cutting but I have taken it to the woods to make sure it works and I think it will be fine for occasional use or mostly just to clear the road of a fallen tree or branch. My buddy watches E-Bay and got me the 16" chainsaw with 4A battery and charger for $135., he said they are often closer to $165. I plan to also get the hedge trimmer.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Dakota

Thanks for the update.  The hedge trimmer works very well.
Dave Rinker

mooleycow

My concern is battery life and cost.  Does the battery have to be on charger at all times?  Does the
battery need only a monthly charge?  Does the battery need only a 48hr. charge before using? 
If one does not use very often how do you keep from purchasing a new battery every time?  Surely
you will go sometime with a storm(hurricane, ice, snow etc.) chainsaw.  A great concept albeit
questionable.  Please keep us updated.  Thank you for your post.

lil171

Those are exactly my thoughts and worries as well regarding the batteries. However, with todays litium batteries, they are at least better than batteries of the past. But it would worry me if not being used. To be safe, if I had an investment like this, I would run a battery through it on average once a month, and cutting wood like it was meant to. 

lxskllr

Lithium should be stored at about half charge. That makes it a little tricky to put something away for awhile, and then grab and go. Also, for best life, it's better to short stroke them. Keep the charge between 30%-80%. Not sure how much it matters in the end. There's "best practices", then there's getting stuff done. If there was any single thing I'd try to do, it would be not fully depleting a battery before charging, and by extension, not storing a fully depleted battery.

Inaotherlife

I've had Makita and DeWalt lithium ion hand tools for several years, probably 10 or so. And I haven't had a battery go bad yet.

Also have had an Echo 58v lithium ion weedwacker for about 3 or 4 years and still going strong.

I don't really use any of these tools on a regular basis. Sometimes daily for a few days, sometimes weekly, and sometimes several weeks or months between use.

And while they aren't exposed to all the elements, they are not stored in a temperature controlled environment. So they see 100+ degrees as well as freezing temps.

I've never had one lose a charge. And I never bother to follow any kind of charging regimen.
Sometimes I charge them if they're getting low, sometimes when they run completely out of juice, and sometimes I just charge them to top them off when it's convenient so they'll be ready when I need them.

They're stored at whatever charge level they happen to be at. Either full or partial charge.
None of it has shown to make any difference that I can tell.
Although I don't recall ever storing them for any length of time completely drained of charge.

The bigger batteries are heavy though. The weedwacker with the large 58v battery is much heavier than an equivalent 20-something cc 2-stroke weedwacker.
Probably close in weight to a 30-something cc 4-stroke.

Ljohnsaw

Re: lithium batteries

I have a whole range of DeWalt 20v tools.  I have two 2ahr, three or four 4ahr and three 5ahr batteries.  I would say my sawsall is the hardest on the batteries (drains them pretty fast) followed by the 6½ circular saw.  I was beating on the circularsaw cutting up slabs for a while lat summer.  I did manage to kill a 5ahr battery in about a month.  Since they have a 3 year warranty and there is a repair shop close to me, it was a quick swap out.  You can even do it over the phone.

I try to keep my batteries topped off (charge them when I get home) and then they sit for days or weeks until I use them.  They don't appear to self-discharge like NiCads.  I have two regular charges and three "fast" charges that came with the 5ahr batteries.  The fast charger will charge a dead 2ahr in 15 to 20 minutes and a 5ahr in about 45 minutes.

My buddy just bought himself the little 12" DeWalt 20v chainsaw.  Neither of us want to go to 40 or 60v with all the tools we have.  The plan is to take it up when we start sawing lumber again to manage the slab pile.  I did have the opportunity to use it to take down a bunch of small Junipers (2-3") at his place.  It has the narrowest chain I've ever seen (like 1/8"!) and rips through the wood really fast.  It is nice and light, even with the 4ahr battery he has.  I think it would balance a little better with a 5ahr.  I was cutting for about 20 or 30 minutes and the battery charge scale dropped one of three lights.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

gspren

I didn't buy this for the days I plan to cut wood, I got it for the days I "might" need to cut wood. Our PA hunting camp is miles back a gravel road that the state maintains but we have had a few times that a large branch or even a tree was blocking it. Our driveway into the camp is a few hundred yards long and that's up to us to clear. I also hunt in DE and have had times that a few quick cuts would allow my deer cart to get to the deer and save some dragging. The battery saw can be hauled in my FJ Cruiser for the entire hunting season with no concern of gas fumes and the battery should be ok.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

upnut

I've opened up camp driveways, two tracks and trails with a bow saw and hatchet before, it can be done. A battery chain saw makes much more sense, so mine will be riding along on hunting trips and trail cruising.....maybe even campfires!

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

maple flats

My wife is a prepper for when SHTF. She recently had me order a cordless electric saw. Since I had 10 batteries for DeWalt 20V Lithium (5 @ 2AH, 3 @ 4 AH and 2 @ 6AH, that is what I got the saw in. I have not yet used it, but I did view some videos of that saw using a 4 AH & 5 AH battery. It did well. I will try it soon, need to bring some bar oil home first. Then I have a 4-5" diameter at the stump peach tree that died to cut up.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Old Greenhorn

You know I have hadn't given much thought is to these saws except to think it would be nice to have one in the truck for the unplanned blow down or using in the shop in the winter. I don't have the funds for such a convenience, so I just read to learn. But 2 nights ago I had a visit from a neighbor who is a hard working arborist, logger, and sawyer. He climbs a lot. He told me he is DONE with gas saws for arbor work. He is looking for the best battery saw he can find for his climbing work. His problem is that the saw spends 70% of it's time idling as he drop branches, re-rigs and climbs to the next branch, etc. The computer in the saw tries to re-tune the saw to function as an idler and won't run right to make a cut. After a few jobs the saw is useless and he gets another one. Time is money. I had never thought of this and it changed my perspective. I will be reading threads about these saws with interest as time goes on.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Air Lad

Been using lithium iron battery tools last 12 yrs ( drills,power saws, grinders, reciprocal saws, rotary hammer , impact screwdriver etc)
They have only become better in regards to power output/weight and user friendliness. Also can be recharged at at any stage of the useful charge life without harming next charge life unlike NiCad
This technology translates well to outdoor power equipment. Especially the small/urban range.

hedgerow

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 16, 2019, 09:20:16 PM
You know I have hadn't given much thought is to these saws except to think it would be nice to have one in the truck for the unplanned blow down or using in the shop in the winter. I don't have the funds for such a convenience, so I just read to learn. But 2 nights ago I had a visit from a neighbor who is a hard working arborist, logger, and sawyer. He climbs a lot. He told me he is DONE with gas saws for arbor work. He is looking for the best battery saw he can find for his climbing work. His problem is that the saw spends 70% of it's time idling as he drop branches, re-rigs and climbs to the next branch, etc. The computer in the saw tries to re-tune the saw to function as an idler and won't run right to make a cut. After a few jobs the saw is useless and he gets another one. Time is money. I had never thought of this and it changed my perspective. I will be reading threads about these saws with interest as time goes on.
I am just a homeowner, farmer that has a probable bucket lift that I use for tree trimming,take down and I also have been thinking this may be the year to buy a cordless chainsaw. I use other cordless tools a lot on the farm already. I don't have a newer saw that I use in my lift so computer is not a problem for me but the idling of the chain saw makes a oily mess. As I get older I find myself letting the chainsaw idle more using the bucket lift because my shoulder doesn't like starting chain saws.  

upnut

Hedgerow- Have used mine a couple times for just that purpose, worked well. Keep a bigger saw in the bucket to save battery saw for smaller trimming...

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

reride82

Quote from: maple flats on January 16, 2019, 12:33:41 PM
My wife is a prepper for when SHTF. She recently had me order a cordless electric saw. Since I had 10 batteries for DeWalt 20V Lithium (5 @ 2AH, 3 @ 4 AH and 2 @ 6AH, that is what I got the saw in. I have not yet used it, but I did view some videos of that saw using a 4 AH & 5 AH battery. It did well. I will try it soon, need to bring some bar oil home first. Then I have a 4-5" diameter at the stump peach tree that died to cut up.
Maple Flats,
I'd be interested to see your review of the 20v dewalt as I have an arsenal of 20v tools and I have been watching the chainsaw, but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. Basically, I'd like it for in the shop and when I get to doing dovetail notches on a cabin so during minimal use times and when ventilation is an issue.
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Thank You Sponsors!