iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BBQ Sauce

Started by Norm, September 09, 2011, 12:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Jon (weekend sawyer) and I did some swapping of salsa and jam. He also sent along a jar of home made BBQ sauce that I got a chance to try last night and it was awesome! I did some boneless skinless chicken thighs to try them out on.

Hot and fast on the weber with a coating of sauce at the end. Hopefully we can talk him out of the recipe.  :)

I'm saving the salsa for this weekend when my son's come over.

Raider Bill

It's hard not having a crush on BBQ Boy! :D

That looks Delish!!!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawguy21

Grilling some ribs for a family get together tomorrow. Sure would like to have the
recipe. ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Weekend_Sawyer

The Jam was fantastic, I pan fried some nutbread and had it on the bread. My taste buds stood up and applauded  8)

The recipe came from Danny, (WDH) and we have been tweeking it snce the 2010 pigroast. He said if Norm liked the sauce we could post the recipe.

Norm I am real glad you like it.
Now If I can just find that recipe. :D

BTW, sorry for the late reply, I spent the weekend up on my Tree Farm and there is no internet, phones or electricity. I really love it there.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Norm

Jon I tried the salsa out yesterday with my sons and Patty. I've never had one with beans and corn in it so was really intrigued by the recipe. Well it got rave reviews from the panel! This is a recipe to make when we get our next batch of fresh tomatoes ready.  :)

If Danny doesn't start showing off his cooking I'm going to drive down there to buy some of his rustic wood.  ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

Glad you like it Norm.
My family has been tweaking the Salsa recipe for a few years now, which makes it alot more fun.

Raider Bill

Welp looks like Norm liked it so get-er posted! musteat_1 musteat_1
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

WDH's BBQ sauce

1 40 oz bottle of Heinz ketchup
1 & 1/2 cups of brown sugar (if you like it really sweet use 2 cups )
1/2 cup worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of sweet pickle juice (sweet pickle relish works well too)
1/2 cup of the vinegar of your choice
1 fat tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 finley chopped onion
1 or 2 finely chopped jalipino peppers
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon of the mustard of your choice

You can add any other spices that you might like.  Throw all that in a pot and bring it to a simmer, and simmer it slowly for about 20 minutes until everything is good and hot and well mixed.

WDH

That is also some pretty rustic BBQ sauce  :D. 

Here the challenge.....Lets experiment with the recipe to the point that we can improve it.  Then, we can name it  ;D. 

WDH-Weekend Sawyer BBQ sauce just does not have a catchy ring to it (sorry Jon  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

yea it doesn't sing, mabe Danny-Jon or Johnny-Dan... nah

Howabout Danjonit! could be a curse and a dejon at the same time  ;D

... or not.

WDH

Danjonit.  I like it!  At least the name sounds good  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

I don't know about the name but I can assure you it's darn good!

When this runs out I'm going to make up a batch.

Yoopersaw

I need to try that one.  It sure sounds like it's going to be good.

Weekend_Sawyer

Well with the 4th coming I needed to make up a batch of sauce. This time I roasted the onions, jalapeno's and a couple of sweet red and green peppers. I'm expecting this batch to come out chunky with a roasted pepper flavor. I plan on making about a gallon and a half and canning it. I might just send some up north  ;D

WDH

ohsoloco

I missed this thread the first time around...SKINLESS chicken thighs  ???  Norm, you left off the best part  :D

js2743

what about "Sawmill BBQ Sauce" for a name 8)

Norm

Can you imagine getting that kind of quality locally, Jon you'd better start making bigger batches.  :)

Weekend_Sawyer

8) I was able to put up 6 quarts and had a pint left over for use right away. I celebrated by grilling 3 racks of ribs my brother brought over.  ;)

Weekend_Sawyer

oh by the way, I noticed that the more charred the peppers were the easier they were to get the outer skin off. I should have worn gloves for the jalapenos.  :o

WDH

:o

I know exactly what that means  :D.

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm  Making a batch of Danjonit's amazing sawmill BBQ sauce.
Guaranteed to fix what's wrong with ya!

WDH

Did you put in any roasted red peppers this time?

pappy19

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on September 12, 2011, 10:33:11 AM
WDH's BBQ sauce

1 40 oz bottle of Heinz ketchup
1 & 1/2 cups of brown sugar (if you like it really sweet use 2 cups )
1/2 cup worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of sweet pickle juice (sweet pickle relish works well too)
1/2 cup of the vinegar of your choice
1 fat tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 finley chopped onion
1 or 2 finely chopped jalipino peppers
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon of the mustard of your choice

You can add any other spices that you might like.  Throw all that in a pot and bring it to a simmer, and simmer it slowly for about 20 minutes until everything is good and hot and well mixed.

That's a good looking BBQ sauce recipe, but I would also add 1 stick of melted butter to it.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Weekend_Sawyer

Hmmm, Never thought of putting butter in it. I'll give it a try on a jar soon.

Danny, I didn't grill the peppers this time. I had some last night in a brisket i made Wednesday.  Oooooooh soooooo  goooood!!!

Chuck White

Looks like a fine BBQ sauce recipe, I'll have to give it a try!

I've found while traveling around when I was in the Air Force that the majority of people don't want to give up their "old family recipes", but will gladly make a jar of it for you!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Weekend_Sawyer

I just made a fresh batch of Danjonit's Amazing Sawmill BBQ Sauce (It'll cure what ails ya)
I added a shot of dark rum to this batch and it added a nice hint of flavor.

I'll be shipping a couple of pints up to Jeff and Tammy to put out for the Pig Roast  8) 8)

LeeB

Dark rum or the bbq sauce? Both sound good.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

luvmexfood

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on July 09, 2012, 02:59:11 PM
oh by the way, I noticed that the more charred the peppers were the easier they were to get the outer skin off. I should have worn gloves for the jalapenos.   :o

Yep. Learned that lesson one time while canning jalapenos. Slicing and handling etc. Went to drain out some used coffee. It hit about the time I got back to kitchen. Shower and soap made it worse. Finally rubbing sour creme on the affected area to get some relief. Not going to mention what affected area.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

luvmexfood

Quote from: LeeB on July 09, 2014, 03:07:56 PM
sour cream?

Dairy products cut the burn of hot peppers.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

sandhills

I was messing around once making some poppers and rubbed my eye  ::), it only takes once.

WDH

Jon,

We will sample some in Harrison. 

Weekend_Sawyer

Yes we will Danny, looking forward to seeing you there.
8)

Jon

pappy19

The only thing I would add to that BBQ sauce recipe is a stick of butter.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Weekend_Sawyer

Making this years christmas gifts!

WDH

Some good ole Danjonit Sawmill BBQ sauce !

Don_Papenburg

So if you use buttered rum do you still need the stick of butter?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Weekend_Sawyer

I couldn't bring myself to drop a stick of butter in it.
This batch did get a shot of dark rum. Tasty!

drobertson

A shot for the cook ;D and a shot for the pot! 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Where da wine comes from for cooking.  POKE HERE
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!