iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oyster Stew

Started by sandhills, December 23, 2014, 07:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

I'll be making it for one of our family Christmas gatherings, mine is really plain Jane and I was wondering if anybody had a good recipe to spice it up a bit that wouldn't mind sharing it?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The only Oysters we can get are from the grocery store.

I likes to put them in a pot with butter and fry them for about 5 or 6 minutes then put in whole milk.
The amount of milk depends on how much we plan to eat.
Leave on medium heat until the Oysters start to float.

Serve the stew in bowls. Pick out the Oysters and put on a cracker with hot sauce or Ketchup.
I crush up crackers in my stew and add onions, hot sauce and a little Ketchup.
A few Bread and Butter pickles on the side.

I love it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I was not involved in the cooking part,just involved in the eating part.  ;D My parents had a wood stove. Oyster stew in a pot and that would be put into another low pan filled with water. All this would go onto the wood stove overnight. Make sure there was water in the pan all night too!!!!Ever have oyster stew for breakfast? Nothing else added but oyster crackers,pepper and a spoon. A meal that I enjoyed with my Father.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

DanG, you guys are making me hungry. I can't get enough fresh seafood.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sandhills

Me neither, unfortunately I'm about as far away as you can get from "fresh" seafood  :D, these will be canned oysters.  Thanks guys for the ideas, my wife hates them so she never cooks it, all I've ever done was milk, oysters, butter, and a little salt and pepper.  I'm not too hard to please though  ;) and would like to liven it up about for others.

DanG

I always chop up some bacon(raw) and start out by frying that in the pot, and throw in a handful of chopped onion as soon as the bacon starts rendering some grease. Toss in a blob of butter.  Sometimes add some finely diced potato along with the onion.  Then add the milk, oysters, salt and pepper.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

samandothers

This is from Southern Living. My wife has been making for over 20 years on Christmas Eve. We enjoy this stew and finger foods.

samandothers

Oh yeah she indicated she uses box of chicken broth versus cans. We had it this evening while visiting daughter.  Ignore notes in photo. She makes some notes on recipes she makes based on peoples comments. The 1999 note was from our then 13 year old son.

sandhills

Thanks again folks!  I may try a combination of all the above, might have to leave out the hot sauce in one pot, we'll see how it goes.  Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, we started today with my wife's family, it was a lot of fun and of course a lot of great food.  The stew won't be needed until Sunday so I have a little time for experimenting yet  ;).

fstedy

I start with 2 dozen stewing oysters and their liquor, into a pot with 2 quarts of light cream and 1 stick of butter add pepper, to taste then simmer them until the outer edges of the oysters begin to curl ( this way they don't overcook ). Serve with some oyster crackers MMMMMM good. Caution this recipe is not approved by the American Heart Association.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

LeeB

Quote from: samandothers on December 24, 2014, 07:27:04 PM

This is from Southern Living. My wife has been making for over 20 years on Christmas Eve. We enjoy this stew and finger foods.

Nothing wrong with notes. That and the stains let you know it's a well used cookbook. Lindy has a few that look like that and others that look like the day she bought them. Easy to tell which are the good ones and which are just words on paper.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pappy19

If you use the canned ones, do not boil the milk, just when it starts to simmer, shut it off, otherwise the oysters get like rubber bands. I like to use the fresh ones and fry them and then dump them into the milk, bacon, potato mixture just before serving, that's the best, IMHO.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

BradMarks

I saw Oyster Stew and started salivating.  I think the best my wife ever made was when we had leftover fried oysters (I know - hard to imagine!).  The flour from frying thickened the stew, and with all the other good stuff, it was just awesome, melt in your mouth good.

samandothers

Lee you are correct!  That has been a well used recipe. 

My wife and daughter made it this year while we visited our daughter in Homestead FL over Christmas.  MAN WAS IT GOOD!!!

sandhills

Thanks again everyone, as it turned out I had cattle get out that morning and the Mrs. ended up making the stew so she just did it her normal way and thickened it up a bit, it was still good though.  Glad I went shopping when I did, last weekend you couldn't buy an oyster within 45 miles of here, even Wally World ran out!  My wife said 2 other ladies called her wondering if I had any and she had to tell them yes but they're on the stove, apparently that was the thing to eating Sunday.

sawguy21

Karen has promised me a seafood dinner tomorrow night. Sure hope it includes oysters, you guys have got me salivating. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!