iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SOLVED! (Please help me ID these shrubs!)

Started by Dodgy Loner, April 21, 2008, 05:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

Alright guys, time to put your heads together to help me identify these shrubs.  I hate exotic ornamentals, so I don't have a clue what they are (More accurately, I hate that I know so little about exotic ornamentals ::)).  They're at a client's house, and all I was able to take was a few twigs, so it might be a little tough.  Just throw out random ideas and I can research them further myself to see if there's a match.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Shrub 1

Shrub 2

Shrub 3

Shrub 4
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Furby

#1 reminds me of Roseofsharon, but it's hard to tell from the pic.

Lanier_Lurker

Dodgy, if they have you stumped then I don't know what your chances are.  Those exotics are tough.

Maybe some of the far flung outlying FF members can provide some help.  ???

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Furby on April 21, 2008, 09:17:01 PM
#1 reminds me of Roseofsharon, but it's hard to tell from the pic.

Aha!  Furby is correct!  I did some internet sleuthing and shrub #1 is, indeed, a Rose of Sharon.

A little independent research also seems to indicate that #3 is a glossy abelia.  It'll be easier to tell when the DanG thing flowers.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

OneWithWood

Shrub #2 could be multi flora rose.  Hard to tell.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Sprucegum

Wish I could help - the only exotics we have here are dancers  :-X  :-[  :-X

Dodgy Loner

Hard to tell from the pic, but the leaves on #2 are opposite, so it can't be multiflora rose.

I was at another clients home this morning, and she happened to have shrub #4 planted in her front yard.  "What's that?" says I.  "Spirea," she replied.  Shrub #4 is solved! 8)

Sprucegum we have those too, but they're easy to identify - you just have to know their tattoos. :-X ;)

SwampDonkey

Yeah #4 is Spirea, a new spring sucker. They plant one with white flowers here in small clumps and shape them with shears. We have two wild varieties here, hard hack/steeplebush with a pink flower and another with a white flower, meadowsweet, both grow in wastelands, more common in the NB lowlands along the coast.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Is #3 square stemmed? Kinda feels like a honeysuckle to me.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

serviceberry/juneberry (Amelanchier)? Looks like a berry producing shrub.

Dodgy Loner

Actually, all of the shrubs are solved, now.  Here are the answers:

#1: Rose-of-Sharon
#2: Hydrangea
#3: Glossy Abelia
#4: Spirea

Much easier to ID now that the leaves are fully out :)!

SwampDonkey

Yeah, Hydrangea makes sense for # 2.

I've had one of those dang things here for 30 years and still just a stick. I see others and they grow up like a small lilac bush. ::)

Yeah not only leaves, but handling the shrubs and looking it over for the details helps a lot. ;D

Tom

Is your hydrangea mulched, Swamp Donkey?  They like being mulched down here.

SwampDonkey

I don't mulch it Tom, except any lilac and sugar maple leaves that land on it and the tall flowers (yellow loostrife I think) beside it that die and break down beside it.  I think I need to either pull it and start over with a new plant or walk away. Haven't made up my mind, but not real keen on buying a new shrub at $40 or more a pop.  :( I have to do some tree transplanting soon, just need to get up and go.  ;D

Tom

throw some leaves around if for mulch and walk off and leave it for awhile.   Make a mulch bed 6" or so deep and 3-4 feet around, as long as the plant sticks out.

Thank You Sponsors!