iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beveled Siding Attachments

Started by E.B., April 07, 2007, 11:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.B.

If everything works out Monday I'll be ordering my lucas 8" mill 8)
The question i have is about the siding that u make. Does it have to be dryed to 19% MC. If so, how bad does it warp? can you put it up green. This is another one of those question I warn yaw about :) :) Would this be a good attachment to get? From all the contractors and builders I've talked to they say  Beveled Siding would sell if the price is right.
A day without a Smile is a wasted day

Captain

It is difficult to saw and dry without degrade for me, due to its shape.  I always saw it an put it up green on the outbuildings I build for others.  If I could develop a way to stack and dry it without degrade, I would sell it for certain.

Captain

solidwoods

Purchase a bandsaw with resaw attachment  (about 2k-3k) or build a resaw table and pwr feeder for you mill.
You resaw dried material into  lapp siding.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

E.B.

Thanks for the replys think I'll skip that attachment. I plan on getting a moulding machine later anyway

EB
A day without a Smile is a wasted day

brdmkr

E.B.

Congratulations on the upcoming mill.  I have a Lucas 618, and I recently finished the lab siding on my shop.  I did not bevel the siding.  Rather, I just cut it 3/4, dried it, and nailed it up with a 5" reveal.  I think it looks good.

keep us posted on the new mill!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

sawmilllawyer

8); Arky made a post on how he makes this type of siding; somewhere. He cut it thick, ran it through a router, dried it and then split it on his Arky resaw attachment. Maybe he will tune in and tell us about it.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

solidwoods

You can make a taper cut by placing a spacer at the back bottom edge of a cant.
The can't must raise up the same ammount for each raised cut.
I'd sticker the lapp pieces and use them quick.

If in doubt, make a few pieces (spacer method),, apply the lapp to something around the farm (I'd put outdoor deck preservative on both sides then apply)

Moulding Lapp wasts a lg. % of your wood.
Splitting dry in half wasts 1 kerf.

Molding Lapp requires allot of hp. , machinery, cutter heads.
It does produce a moulded face product though which has more value.

Get a Weinig (mine is the best machine I have for making $)
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Thank You Sponsors!