iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jig for beveled siding

Started by True North, July 01, 2009, 01:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

Would anyone out there know how to get or make a jig to make beveled siding with a Timber Harvester Mill?

tyb525

A few blocks of equal size to place under the cant on the bed rails. Cut the log into the size cant you went, stick the blocks under one side, clamp, cut, remove the blocks, cut, repeat.

Not too fast but I've tried it for the heck of it on my LT10.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ARKANSAWYER

You can make an ARKY resaw for making it.  You can saw boards 1 1/8 thick, sticker till dry, then split them on the resaw.  The resaw is a 2x10x12 plained and has a 1x4 screwed to the back (side the blade pulls the board to) and a 2x4 on the front to clamp to.  I have finger boards to hold the board down with and a slot in the back for the blade to drop down in.  I screw a beveled siding to the bottom to get my angle.  You can also use this to split boards in half or real thin.
  The head is chained to the axle on the LT40 to hold it in place and we push the boards through nose to tail.

ARKANSAWYER

Brad_S.

If you notice, there are holes in the log bed bunks near the end with the tab on it. Those are there for the beveled siding jig that TH sold. The jig consists of a long stainless steel rod that runs through them with a handle on the end near the operator. Attached to the rod are concentric cams. After sawing a cant to the width you needed, you would make a cut, then rotate the rod and the cams would raise one side of the cant. Make another cut, then rotate to drop the cams.
I bought the jig as a retro fit and could never get it to work well. Cants were too heavy to be lifted by those rods, they would just twist. Should I ever need to make siding again, I am going to use the method outlined by Arky.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

critter

At sawlex the light blue EW mill had one neat shingle and sideing
      optional attchment that i think could be used on most small band
     mills it was simple and work real good looked like it would easy to
      fabricate

Thank You Sponsors!