iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Securing the mill

Started by OneWithWood, March 15, 2003, 12:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

The sun is shining and the mud is drying a bit. 8) It won't be long before I begin making sawdust for the sawbarn.  The barn will be located in a field that is somewhat visible from the road.  I want to locate my WM LT40 at the site and cover it with a tarp when I am not using it.  
What do you all do to secure your mills when it you are going to be onsite for a period of time?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SawInIt CA

I put a trailer ball lock on it if it is in a questionable place, I will leave a log on the deck as well.

Minnesota_boy

I usually put a log on the deck, move the head beyond the log and lower it so it can't be moved without raising it, remove the key and walk away. If  I won't be there for several days, neither will the mill.  I'll hook on to it and tow it home.

That said, most places I saw are in people's yards, or out in the pasture, and the homeowner watches the mill for me.  Some places I feel so safe I leave all the tools, including the chainsaw.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kevin

I take the wheels off the LT-15, stash them and tarp the mill.

Jeff

I thought you just tied that big yeller dog to it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

I can't , he comes with me to act as a buffer between me and my wife.
She's always too busy screaming at him to bother with me.  ;D

Bibbyman

We got ours chained to the ground. ;D

Didn't Joey Lowe replace the hitch bolts on his Wood-Mizer with pins so he could remove it?  Looks to me like that would kill two birds with one stone (at least on WM LT mills.)  When we had mobile mills, we were always bumping into the hitch.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

I use a hitch lock in some places, put a log on the deck, lower the head  on one end of the mill or the other, lower the log loader, remove the key and ask the log owner to shoot anybody that messes with it.

So far, the only problem I've had was the ex of the log owner put water in the fuel every night.  She didn't consider that she was hurting me, only that the mill was on his place.

I've worried about the mill but never really had it messed with. I have had my truck pilfered of tools as I was sawing.  Right under my nose.

Lenny

I have A LT40 with homemade axle.A center tube with 2 removable axle assy,s.I remove the axle from the main beam side. this also makes it much easyer when sawing. No tire or axle to walk or work around. ;)
 Rollover is a concern,I do plan on making another peice that will slide into the axle tube and drop to ground level then extend a couple of feet to past where the tire would normally be :P

Kevin_H.

As a rule I dont leave the mill at any site other than my own.
If I am going to be out of town for a couple of days I put all the jacks down tight and take the bar with me (lt40hdg24).
I will also take the two bolts out of the hitch and put it in my truck.

Bibby I think you where right about joey replacing his hitch bolts with pins, I dont due it enough to mess with changing it.

My only fear is someone stealing the engine.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

EZ

I pull mine back home with me when ever I'm done for the day. I wood'nt be able to sleep that nite if I did'nt. Besides, I think it's good advertisment whenever it's going down the rode. Most of the time we stop & get something to eat on the way home. Pretty cool when I walk in wearing my Baker hat & people come up to ya & ask about, how,when,& what time.  8) Coarse most of the people that come up to me & say, are you the guy that owns that WM out there.  :-[ Nothing against WM's, but my mill is blue & says BAKER BANDMILL on the band wheel covers.
My wife says if she does'nt get a Baker hat pretty soon that she's going to order a WM'ers hat. ;D.
EZ

Bibbyman

EZ,  
At least they don't ask you to bake a cake!
Sawing since '94

WV_hillbilly

If I was worried about someone stealing the motor I would weld the nuts on the bolts or go to a fastener supplyhouse  ,get some tamper resistant bolts and replace the originals. As always if someone is determined enough and has enough time nothing you do will stop them. It has something to do with that old saying that locks only keep honest people honest.
Hillbilly

Kevin_H.

Ya know, that's a pretty good idea, Might have to look into that.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

WV_hillbilly

I'm a construction electrician and we use tamper resistant screws and bolts alot more these days. It ' s a sad sign of the times I think.We have to carry a set of sockets and bits that are made for these fasteners cause they are getting so much use now. Just my 2 cents worth.
Hillbilly

SteveS

I am also worried bout someone running off with my engine. I have been looking for somewhere to buy a few 3/8-16 tamperproof bolts. Anybody know of any places?

Thanks for your help
Steve

biziedizie

There's a nut you can buy that screws on with a flat head screw driver that will only screw on but if you try to unscrew it strips. Kinda cool till you want to take it off!
  That or take a ballpeen hammer and smash the end of the bolt.

Steve

WV_hillbilly

SteveS what length are you looking for in the 3/8-16 ? Let me know and I will check at our 2 local fastener supplyhouses and get back with you.
Hillbilly

Frank_Pender

I leave all 3 of my mills at  home.  One would take three lowboys to move as well as a very large log loader or crane.  the other two, Mobile Dimension Mills, has one inside of a building without the wheels on the humbs an the other has the hitch remove.  Besides, I have a 200 + pound St Bernard.  and a Colt 45 six shooter that works real well for discourageing sticky fingers. ;D  And, I do not go out to sawing sites.  Everyone brings the logs to me. 8)
Frank Pender

SteveS

Hillbilly,

I am needing some about 2" - 2 1/2". I was trying to find some of those bolts with a torx or allen socket with a solid pin in the middle so you have to use a special wrench. I would be happy with anything that might make it a little harder for someone who might try.

Thanks
Steve

Mark M

You could try using something with a left-hand thread. I'll bet most people wouldn't think to try turning it the other way.

biziedizie

Good thinking Mark but if a thieves mind is thinking upside down anyways wouldn't he be turning the nut the right way?.....Just thinking that's all!

Steve

ARKANSAWYER

I would come near leaving my wife out in a field then Wanda.  I like EZ tow her back home and back the next day.  That is why I bought a mobile mill.  With the WM it takes only a few min's to fold up and set up.  If a storm blows up or some one dies then your mill is not stuck out some where.
  I would just tack weld the nuts on the engine if you are worried about it.  If it is tamper proof there is a tool to take it off.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

OneWithWood

Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice :) :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Hey Ark, do you have an "I love Wanda" tattoo?  Or at least bumber sticker? ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

Quoteor some one dies

Does that happen often?  

Jason_WI

What do you do with thievs that carry a smoke wrench(cutting torch)?

My mill is setup stationary along with my new edger. But if someone wanted to go into the shed with two 9/16 wrenches and in about half hour them Honda's would be gone...... :-/

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Minnesota_boy

Until you met them at the door with a double barreled 12 guage.  I'll bet they could have it back on the mill in 10 minutes with that kind of persuader.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bibbyman

I've come to the conclusion that people steal things they can turn into cash or drugs.  Seldom do they steal things they would have to work with to get anything out of.  

Wood-Mizer has helped recover mills because they keep track of their customers and their mills.  One case I'm personally aware of,  the owner sold his mill and then clamed it had been stolen and collected the insurance.  Big mistake.

Why couldn't a mill have one of those tracking deals hidden on it like cars have?
Sawing since '94

biziedizie

You guys are starting to make me think more and more about doing something to keep the mill secure. The one thing that I think about is going up there and seeing that a vandle has been there. I think that would p**** me off more then anything.
  I was in Radio Shack a few weeks back and they sell a laser that can hook up to the shops alarm system and I thought that would be a cool thing to have.
  I still think a shotgun would be nice and esp so I know when they were on the property!

Steve

Jason_WI

Just the sound of the action of a pump shotgun should be enough of a persuader ;D

I was think'n, :P what if you had an alarm system on the mill with some level sensors, and a few other indicators on the mill all monitored by a microcontroller hooked to a text message pager and if sumptin was going on the micro would send a serial message to the pager which would call your home phone. Problem here is if your an hour away...... ???

Or the micro could be hooked to a model rocket igniter and a few M80's to scare the [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] out of whoever was messing with the mill.... :o

or.....

I better stop. The later it gets the more dangerous my ideas get......

I'm sure there has got to be sumptin out there like that on the market by now for autos and such.

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

biziedizie

Now you got me thinking Jason! The only problem with protecting ones self is that if you use any device that would harm another person you could go to jail for that! :D

Steve

ARKANSAWYER

Renee' is not worried about Wanda since Wanda will cut it off faster if a man is not carefull. :D   But I do take care of her.  Besides most folks around here know me and the rifle range here on the farm is from my front porch to the top of the pond dam.  It is only 50 yards to the right and 50 yards farther to the mill.  Besides they have to come by the house to get there as it is a long ways through the woods and not real level around here.  Besides I have a shovel, shotgun and 200 acres and chances are no one will miss them for a long time. ;D
  ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

dail_h

WAY TO GO ARKY
NO WITNESS---NO BODY---NO PROBLEM
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Fla._Deadheader

Hey Arky. Wanna know where the "whistlin Hole" is, over on Anderson Flat ridge?? That's where I was gonna plant the FMHA guy.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

JoeyLowe

I removed the two bolts that hold the hitch to the bed.  I replaced them with two tractor pins.  This makes for easy removal of the hitch which does get in the way and it prevents someone from towing the mill away.  Most of my saw jobs are done in pastures and are a couple of days long.  If I've had to drive for more than a couple of hours to get to a location, I secure and leave the mill depending on the circumstances.  I've also left a log on the deck too.  Also removed the tanks too.  That way if someone is spying they figure that I've disabled the mill and won't mess with it.

Problem around these parts though isnt stolen mills.  The problem is stolen mill engines.  These little diesels are valuable and rather easy to remove from a mill.
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

whitepe

Tom,
Sorry about your gas tank getting the vengeance
of an ex wife.  I took a boot to a shoe repair shop once
to get it stitched up and the cobbler told me a story
about a guy who brought in about 10 or 12 left shoes that had
all been slashed by his ex girlfriend.  The funny thing
is that it happened twice.  Evidently the two guys
eventually crossed paths and only then did they find out that she had slashed shoes to both of them.   :o
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Tom

Ha!  That's funny.  I wonder why the left shoe?  There must be a warped line of logic there somewhere. :P :D

D._Frederick

Hey, what do you do when your mill is used for target practice? One 06 shot will destroy an alumimum engine.

Tom

First, I would get mad.  Then when I realized that there was nothing I could do, I'd report it to the local police and start looking for another engine.  

I guess there are some things that you can't stop and vandalism is one of them.  It amazes me how the police can find vandals, and they do sometimes.

WV_hillbilly

The local fastner dealers didn't have any tamperproof bolts bigger than 1/4-20 . They said they could get them but it would be a 1/4 keg quantity and that would be to costly for the few that would be needed for you guys. I did do a search on the net for tamperproof bolts and got these 3 places that would sell you the quantity and size  you need.

www.brycefastner.com

www.alliedbolt.com

www.fastcomsupply.com

I hope this helps you out with leaving your mill onsite. As for the smokewrench these bolts  are stainless so it would be tough going that route.
 I 'm just jealous that you guys would have to worry about your mill cause I don't own one yet !
Hillbilly

Thank You Sponsors!