iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood for Roof Shingles (other than cedar)?

Started by MEMountainMan, August 22, 2014, 11:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEMountainMan

Hi everyone,
    I'm up here in Maine and I've run out of cedar. I need to cut roof shingles for some out buildings that would last about 20 years. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have white pine, spruce and fir availible. I know hemlock won't last nor will quaking aspen. I do not have access to a computer other than in town at the local libarary so I won't be able to respond for a week or so. Thank you for any help, I really need it. Mark
LT15 30 feet cap., John Deere 850 tractor with a loader bucket and backhoe, John Deere 1010 dozer. some husky saws, a 5ft Logrite cant hook, a 3ft mill special, and a 30" hookaroon. A shop full of tools and 108 acres of trees to make things out of.  Done building homes for others now it's my turn

Small Slick

It wasn't on your list of available wood but I heard white oak works well.

John

mrector

I just used white pine to shingle a roof on a 12x8 shed I built. They say it'll hold up for way more than 20 years.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

Dave Shepard

Use all heartwood, clear as possible, and make sure the roof can dry out. White pine has been used many times for this. If your roof is under a tree, and cannot dry out, or is always covered in leaves and pine needles, it won't last as long.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MEMountainMan

Thank you very much for the replies. I will go with the white pine heartwood. I hope everyone is having a great summer.
LT15 30 feet cap., John Deere 850 tractor with a loader bucket and backhoe, John Deere 1010 dozer. some husky saws, a 5ft Logrite cant hook, a 3ft mill special, and a 30" hookaroon. A shop full of tools and 108 acres of trees to make things out of.  Done building homes for others now it's my turn

shinnlinger

White pine used to be very common.   If you lap tar or rosin paper over each course you will get even better life.   You could also dip them in a perservative or uncle Larry's walnut stain. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

D L Bahler

You can also smoke your shingles. Construct a tall open shed with a large space above where you can stack the shingles tied up in loose bundles, leave a large open space below where you can build a fire. Then smoke them for a few weeks. This is the most effective preservative you can use, and if you have scrap wood it's pretty cheap. Pine works the best, because of the tar in the wood.

This sounds scary, but it was done this way for millennia in Central Europe and the Alps

Almost any wood actually works for shingles, rot and decay are not our biggest concern here. What really happens is they are washed away by the rain (broken down by UV light) or stripped away by wasps.

In the Alps, they consider Larch to be the best wood for shingles (look up, lärschenschindeln) but commonly will use fir and spruce (which they have a lot of) and expect 50 years out of such shingles, even when in the Bernese fashion they are made as very small thin shingles.

US woods, you can use anything that splits well (unless you are using a shingle mill, then your concerns are different). White oak was not used, because it does not split well.

Roger Nair

Riven Red oak was used often in my home area and sometimes white oak, some later era use of sawn soft wood shingles.  The following article documents the use of side lapped oak shingles.

http://www.apti.org/clientuploads/pdf/Houston-Fugelso-39-1.pdf
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Thank You Sponsors!