iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Persimmon anyone worked with it? And today's trailer decking sale (my first one)

Started by OffGrid973, August 29, 2015, 08:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OffGrid973

Finally took a bunch of pictures of the new setup for my weekend sawmilling operation on my sub 1/2 acre lot in the suburbs of New Jersey, yes my neighbors "love" me lol.

First I had a question about Persimmon, this wood looks great but according to my Wood bible it's tough to glue up and I read online it attracts insects, so afraid to add to lumber rack.  anyone work with this, can I build a nice table top for a coffee table?

Second set of pics is my operation now that I leveled off ground next to my driveway (neighbors lol) but it keeps the boards flat and square so best idea so far.  Made my first decking and charged 200$ for all those boards, steal for the guy but he now let's me use his trailer whenever I want and he sells firewood so he took all the extra cutoff, (neighbors really like that).

Thanks for this weeks posts everyone; finally kicked me into high gear to make my operation a success.

-Chris

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Den-Den

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

kelLOGg

I made a mallet head of persimmon for driving a turning hook into logs for the mill. After years it is hardly even dented.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

mesquite buckeye

Here is a frame made from persimmon. The base piece is catclaw acacia. Please note that Darlene used a yellow oil paint wash mixed with diluted linseed oil to produce the  goldish color. The natural color has a grayish cast to it.

The pieces are doweled for stability, but there have been no separation issues with the glue lines in about 3 seasons of forced air gas heat in winter and swamp cooler humidity in the summer. I used Titebond 3. I would be fairly comfortable with a conventional edge glueup with this material, glue and persimmon wood. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ddcuning

I used persimmon as the base for our apple press where the cages sit for compressing the apples. Very dense and had a nice dark color to it when planed. I built the rest of the apple press from maple so the contrast between persimmon and maple was nice.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

OffGrid973

Thanks guys, this gives me a lot of hope as the wood looks nicer each day as it dries.  I will send some pics once it's planned and clear coated, excited the glue up sounds like it will hold once I reach that 8 percent which is about average for New Jersey moisture.

-Chris
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Brian C.

Persimmon was used for golf club heads on the woods (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 wood). It is very hard as all have said.

123maxbars

It was/is also for boxwood on wooden hand planes. It is orientated with the end grain facing the stock so it wouldn't wear. Great wood to have around
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Thank You Sponsors!