iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first post

Started by dirtmover1250, March 29, 2015, 04:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtmover1250

Hello all. Nice forum here. I work in the earth moving industry and havnt spent much time on a chainsaw, but from what ive seen from land clearing professionals and other earthwork contractors, they all have Stihls.

4 months ago i bought my first one. Its an MS180C with a 16" bar. Living in a neighborhood with mature trees, i feel much better having it around for storm damage. Recently i got to run my saw on an abandoned railroad corridor making way for a bike path. After a week of use for about 3 hours a day id say im very happy with the saw. Most of the trees were 2 to 8". I had one dead leaner that was about 15". It had no problem plunging through the tree.

for my next saw im thinking about getting the MS441 with a 24" and 32" bar. since i seek to become self employed, i want a serious saw to drop trees before a construction project. I figure between the 180C and the 441 i can do quite a bit. Any input would be appreciated.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

sandsawmill14

welcome to the forum  :) I have a 441 magnum with those bars its ok with the 32" but great with the 24"
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

pabst79

Welcome to FF, the only issue that I can see with your plan is, you're probably going to want a 50cc saw too  :D, can never have enough!  8)
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

JohnG28

Welcome to the forum. I'd imagine you'll really like the 441 if you're happy with the 180! Big step up in every aspect. Enjoy saw shopping!  :)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

dirtmover1250

i wonder which saws are good about pushing bars longer then their manufacturers recommendation. they say that even a 660 can only get to a 32" bar, but after digging around ive found people running 36 and 42" bars on them? if thats the case i wont bother going 441 and 880, ill just get a 660 and be done with it. what do you all think?
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

pabst79

There is a big list of saws between the 180 and 660, but if your constantly felling huge trees, the 660 is a better option then the 441, or if the pocket book allows, get 1 of each!
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

JohnG28

As far as I know it's usually the oiler that can't keep up with the longer bars, not so much the saw's power.  What do you plan to cut with the new saw? 60-70cc range is a pretty good all around saw and will handle most firewood and cleanup tasks easily. 90% of the time I grab my 361 or a smaller saw for my uses. Unless you plan to cut 25"+ trees often I would go with something 60-70cc.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Magicman

Hello dirtmover1250, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dirtmover1250

thanks all so far. would a 460 run a 36" bar alright?
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

ed in idaho

welcome aboard think the 441 will work fine

Ed

so il logger

First off welcome to the forestry forum  :) I have used a 42 in on the 660 allot, and have had no problems. All of the cutting I was doing was with the grain or noodling. From my experience with the 441 a 36 inch bar would be a bit much, or a 460 for that matter would really pull hard with a 36. I am not sure what you plan to cut but a 24 in bar will take down what most guy's consider a big tree

HolmenTree

Quote from: dirtmover1250 on March 29, 2015, 04:29:03 AM

for my next saw im thinking about getting the MS441 with a 24" and 32" bar. since i seek to become self employed, i want a serious saw to drop trees before a construction project. I figure between the 180C and the 441 i can do quite a bit. Any input would be appreciated.
Welcome to the site dirtmover.
MS441 is a good choice. I recommend  2 sizes  of b/c for that saw , 20" & 28" and I'm  confident  their all you need. Perfect setup. Your 180 can handle the shorter bar lengths.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Maine logger88

Yes I agree even a 18" or 20" will cut most trees out there. I posted a video awhile back of a 64" pine that I had no trouble felling with a 24"
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

dirtmover1250

thanks for the input. i went browsing at my stihl dealer again and i gave both the 441 and the 461 a closer look. they both feel pretty good with a 25" bar on it. i think ill go with the 460 just for a bit extra power with the 25" bar, then get the 32" just in case. Its much cheaper to let a bar sit on the shelf then it is to let a saw sit. plus lets not forget the most golden excuse to buy a chainsaw of them all. The need for a 2nd saw to self rescue. ;D

once i pinch my saw i know what not to do after that, haha. im thankful to have been learning with a small saw and small timber. chainsaws can come with a costly learning curve.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

Straightgrain

Welcome

A saw for yourself or your future employees? :-\

A good great buddy of mine works at a local logging supply store and he frequently tells me how a lot of construction, nursery, and landscaping employees tear-up brand new equipment; willful neglect! smiley_smash

I run the 20" and 28" bar on the MS 361R and it has plenty of power; there are several type of chains (like skipping or carbide) that your dealer can show/sell you that will also optimize the performance of your saw. For construction, I would seek the same equipment our Fire Fighters (salute) use to bust-open asphalt shingles, sheathing, and rafters (at the same time).

Regardless of what type of Enterprise Architecture your future business will have, renting a couple different saws before you make that type of investment makes sound economic sense.
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

dirtmover1250

myself pretty for the most part. looking to be a 1 man army. ill remember that about renting, that would give me the opportunity to try one.

Quote from: Straightgrain on March 31, 2015, 10:13:47 PM
Welcome

A saw for yourself or your future employees? :-\

A good great buddy of mine works at a local logging supply store and he frequently tells me how a lot of construction, nursery, and landscaping employees tear-up brand new equipment; willful neglect! smiley_smash

I run the 20" and 28" bar on the MS 361R and it has plenty of power; there are several type of chains (like skipping or carbide) that your dealer can show/sell you that will also optimize the performance of your saw. For construction, I would seek the same equipment our Fire Fighters (salute) use to bust-open asphalt shingles, sheathing, and rafters (at the same time).

Regardless of what type of Enterprise Architecture your future business will have, renting a couple different saws before you make that type of investment makes sound economic sense.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

mad murdock

Welcome dirtmover. If money is no object, by all means shop on.  If yo have good support from a service dealer, there are other brands that can save you $$ on the front end and throughout that are just as good (or better) than Stihl.  Jus' sayin' :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!