iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oleah-mac Climbing saw!

Started by Butlerslogs, April 10, 2015, 06:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butlerslogs

Bought an old Oleah-mac climbing saw at a farm sale, it had no reserve so got it for a nice price 0f £20 been using it to brush up some timber the last couple of days to try it out and it worked really well. went to start it this morning and the pull start broke! the rewind spring came off its hook! any ideas on how to hold it when its coiled tight to be able to put it back in?

sawguy21

Can you grip it with needle nose pliers and drop it in? Hold your fingers on it to keep it from shooting out while you slowly release the pliers.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

21ftnitro

The spring came out on my old power mac 6. I layed the spring on the bench and used the actual pulley to win it up.then i carefully got a hold of it with my fingers as not to let it spring out . Once i had in my fingers i wrapped black electrical tape around it in a couple of places to hold it together.  I then installed it into the saw. Once in the saw i used a razor to cut the tape releasing the spring. I got the cord wound on the pulley and through the eye on the starter housing. I used some needle nose to pull out the pieces of tape. I inserted the pulley and lined it up with the spring so it engaged. Before you do any of this you have to see why the spring came off in the first place. Probably bent or broke. Check it with your pulley for proper fit. Dont try to bend the little end of the spring to make it fit cold. It will brake off. At least mine did. I ended up heating mine up with a little butain torch, then i could bend it safely. It took several frustrating trys but i got it. I dont know if this is the best way but it worked for me. I'll be interested in others input.

Thank You Sponsors!