iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway

Started by Raider Bill, September 17, 2018, 12:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

2 Weeks ago we took a 7 day bike ride around Tenn, NC, SC GA and a tad in VA.
Highlights of the trip aside from all the great riding was the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Ashville, Greenville, SC river walk at night and Little Switzerland, NC.
We rode the Blue Ridge Parkway and several named curvy roads like Diamond Back and Copperhead but mainly we just rambled around with not much of a agenda.
The BRP has just been repaved so it was in great condition.
At Mike B's suggestion we hit 330, 116 and Norma RD.
1700 miles. Not a long trip but very pretty.

BRP 10 18 - YouTube

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Thanks Bill.  :)

The BRP has to be one of our favorite traveling destinations.  I say destinations because you don't have to be going anywhere to travel it.  move_it
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

We pick it up down at Exit 8 in Virginia on I-77 sometimes to go into NC. You are right - it is a beautiful ride. I think they are going to extend part of it up here in the next few years. Thanks for posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 17, 2018, 01:40:26 PM
  We pick it up down at Exit 8 in Virginia on I-77 sometimes to go into NC. You are right - it is a beautiful ride. I think they are going to extend part of it up here in the next few years. Thanks for posting.
We went about 25 miles into Virginia then turned around as it was getting late and wanted to get to Mountain City Tn for the night which didn't happen. I got side tracked looking for gas. We ended up back in Ashville.
We got on the BRP in Cherokee, NC which is either the end or beginning depending on how you look at it.

I've done the whole thing including Skyline Drive before but Sue Ann had never been on it.
The trip started out in a pouring rain. Nothing like starting a bike trip with your boots over flowing.

mike_belben

Sorry to hear about the rain.  Did you hear any banjos out by brushy mountain?  Pretty desolate over there. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Quote from: mike_belben on September 17, 2018, 02:28:58 PM
Sorry to hear about the rain.  Did you hear any banjos out by brushy mountain?  Pretty desolate over there.
It sure was, just how I like it!
Interesting area and perfect for riding.
Thinking we may get back there sometime and take the old prison tour.

We got rain the first day, 5th and last at least enough that we suited up.
Quote from: thecfarm on September 17, 2018, 02:52:40 PM
Thanks for the ride along.
Wish I had more long ones but my camera girl was too busy rubbernecking.
She took a bunch of real short clips which I'll get posted on YT.

samandothers

So when you turned in Va were you near Mabry Mill, about mile post 176.  The exit 8 off I77 is near mile post 200. 

Beautiful scenery.  Pictures y'all took were nice.

reswire

I love the Shenandoah, and routinely make trips to Skyline Drive each year.  I always wanted to take my bike on the trip, but couldn't help but notice the enormous amount of wildlife on the roadside.  I brushed a deer on a Honda 350 as a kid, and the resulting roll over was none too pleasant.  That experience has made me think twice about two wheels on the parkway.  
Needless to say, there are probably more deer within 1 mile of my house now, but I have no choice but ride on local roads... ;D.  They've limited doe kills during hunting season to one week now, even though the population of deer next to Fort A.P. Hill, has got to be at an all time high.  I can count 20-40 deer on any given night near my farm, all within 100 feet of the road.  Deer hunting where I live seems to be a religious event, but the number of deer doesn't seem to lessen, only expand by leaps and bounds!
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Weekend_Sawyer

That's one of my favorite rides.
we have ridden Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway multiple times.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

Quote from: samandothers on September 17, 2018, 09:42:33 PM
So when you turned in Va were you near Mabry Mill, about mile post 176.  The exit 8 off I77 is near mile post 200.

Beautiful scenery.  Pictures y'all took were nice.
Not quite to Meadows of Dan area.
Quote from: reswire on September 18, 2018, 06:06:36 AM
I love the Shenandoah, and routinely make trips to Skyline Drive each year.  I always wanted to take my bike on the trip, but couldn't help but notice the enormous amount of wildlife on the roadside.  I brushed a deer on a Honda 350 as a kid, and the resulting roll over was none too pleasant.  That experience has made me think twice about two wheels on the parkway.  
Needless to say, there are probably more deer within 1 mile of my house now, but I have no choice but ride on local roads... ;D.  They've limited doe kills during hunting season to one week now, even though the population of deer next to Fort A.P. Hill, has got to be at an all time high.  I can count 20-40 deer on any given night near my farm, all within 100 feet of the road.  Deer hunting where I live seems to be a religious event, but the number of deer doesn't seem to lessen, only expand by leaps and bounds!

That's why I try to not be riding when it starts to get dark. Have had a couple close calls in the past and a couple friends who hit bambi one of which didn't survive.
Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on September 18, 2018, 06:24:05 AM
That's one of my favorite rides.
we have ridden Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway multiple times.
Was thinking of you Jon. Figured you'd run the BRP more than once.
Next time we do it we'll be not wasting time in Gatlinburg [Sue Ann wanted 2 days here, she has since agreed it's wasted time.] no need to go down to Greenville again so that'll give us more time in the saddle on the BRP.
If you ever want to impress the Lady try Switzerland Inn in Little Switzerland. Class place, great food, views and accommodations. It's the only privately owned establishment on the BRP.

Thank You Sponsors!