iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fishing

Started by Furby, January 14, 2005, 07:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

I was at the store today and in the meat display cases they had fresh whole Bluegills. Sign said from Canada, wild caught. These were all about 8-10" or so, and just full of color. My question is, does Canada have commercial fishing for things like gills, or are these caught by sport fishermen and sold?
I may have this wrong, but I thought it was illegal  here in the States to sell meat taken under a sportsman permit. Just wondering if Canada was the same.

beenthere

Maybe something the Indians can do.  ::)

Does the store manager have any information? He might be knowledgable or maybe ought get enlightened, if not.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Yeah, that was the other thought I had, that maybe they came from the indians.
These gills were just about all the exact same size. I thought they were farm raised until I saw the sign.

It's a big chain store so I don't know what info the Manager might have, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

EZ

Furby,
Buy one and take it home and cook it. If it taste like fish food, then you will know if its farm raised. ;D
EZ

DanG

There are, or at least, were ??? instances where wild gamefish could be sold in the US.  Some years back, in the '80s, I think, Lake Okeechobee in South Fla was so overrun with bluegills, they removed bag limits and allowed sales IF the fish were tagged to prove that's where they came from. They had authorized agents, such as bait stores, etc, that did the tagging for a small fee.  Some of my buddies used to go down there and come back with hundreds of big fat bream.  I don't know if that program is still active.

"Non-game" species can be caught and sold by folks who hold a commercial fishing license. This was mostly for catfish, but the fish farmers have just about done that business in. :-/  A lot of folks still run trot-lines and bush hooks for the sport of it, and to get fish for themselves.  The way fish prices have gone up in the markets, some may decide to get back into it.  Frozen catfish filets are $4.95lb at the local Walmart Super Center. :o :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

I was at another of the chain stores Sat. night, but they were closing up the meat counter and I didn't see any gills.
These were $3.69 lb. whole gills, already gutted.
I guess I was more curious then anything.

So....................since this thread is going no place, fast..........
Anyone have anything fishing related to talk about???
Anyone been in any tournaments or anything?
Kind of getting the itch with all the marked down lures at the stores. Might even give in and go do some ice fishing in the next week or so. ::)

Paschale

Hey Furby,

Where'd you see those gills?  That's the best eating fish in my opinion, and I'd love to get some, if they're frozen and still available.  Was it Meijer's?  

Dan
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

Yep, on Alpine!
They were fresh I belive, not frozen. Look in the meat counter.
Oh, and let me know what they taste like!  ;D
Ya know ya could always go catch your own???
That sure is the best way to have fresh fish! ;D

Furby

Well I picked up a couple of my kid brothers and a cousin today and we headed out for the hard water!
Spent a couple hours out there, didn't catch anything, but it didn't look like anyone else did either. ::)
I counted 30+ shanties, and well over 50-60 people on this little 110 acre lake.

SwampDonkey

I remember some brooks and lakes up north that would just boil with trout. I think they were so hungry it didn't matter if your hook was bare or a tied fly. They were never much longer than 10 inches, but all kinds of 'em. Now adays the bag limit is so low (5) and the tackle is so high that I don't bother with fishing. Once in a while, not often, we'de come across a deep hole with some big trout (over 2 pounds), but they are hard to fish and spooked easy. But, when ya caught one they were a nice prize to take home. Some of those streams where ruined by logging. What was once lined with sand that glittered like gold are now full of silt and mud. ::) That turned me off fishing too.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

How's this for a wild game fish ???

They say ...... that this moose was found swimming 5 miles off shore off the coast of Maine and that they harpooned it.This was 7-8 years ago. Moose are known to suffer from a brainworm sometimes that makes them act strangely....well , stranger than usual. ;)

I promised this pic in some other thread ....... but I've no idea where      ::)  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

OneWithWood

Bullwinkle! :o

Did they harpoon that other feller in the picture too?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sprucebunny

You mean the guy in the rigging ???
He's just had a few tee many martoonies ;D ;D

AAAAAARRRRG, MATEY :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Roxie

THAT'S funny!   :D :D
Say when

UNCLEBUCK

Bluegill for $ 3.69 a pound wow .  We always just fillet the sides but I do know of a few people that still gut and scale . Panfish are easy to catch if you can find them , then its fun . Crappies too. Boneless bluegill fillets fried up with taters and toast ranks right up there as a great meal . Beer battered and deep fried is even better . Now that moose picture is the wildest thing I ever heard of . S.B. you should show pictures of life on a sailboat , I use to subscribe to woodenboat magazine for years until I realized the odds of actually making it from lake superior to norway and thats when I let my subscription expire  ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

I live on a shallow lake like 8 feet deep and it freezes out hard every few winters and there is a connecting lake to it with a little 3 foot diameter culvert and nothing but marsh on each side . Well tonight I took my nephew and said lets see if we can get a baby bullhead or something even if there is nothing there . A hour later we off the lake and racing our lawnmowers through the woods to get back and show whats in the shallow worthless swamp and lots of them !!
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Furby

Mmmmm.....crappie! ;D

Tom

Oh  Yeah!!   Specks!

beenthere

Tom
Specks!
Now is that a FL reference to size?   ??? ::) ;D ;D :D

Invited to an annual Bluegill fish fry tomorrow night. Last couple years, this friend pan fried Bluegill filet's over outdoor gas grill (in cast iron 24" skillets) and they are absolutely fabulous. Want to eat them like popcorn.  Last year he fried 150 filets for about 20 people. Almost enough to go around  :)

Those crappie are fantastic eating as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

"Specks" is just a shortened version of Speckled Perch.  We don't call them Crappie here, least the "Floridians" that I grew up with didn't.  That was a term that was imported with the influx of touristers from "Up Yonder".   Here is a site that gives some of the names as"

speckled perch, specks, papermouth, bachelor perch, calico bass, strawberry bass, or white perch.

http://floridafisheries.com/Fishes/panfish.html

With all of the popularity of Black Bass fishing, I think my favorite fresh water panfish is the Speckled perch.  It is followed closely by Bream of varying species with my favorite being the Redbreast and my least favorite, the Shell Cracker 'cause it lives in warm shallow lake water and tastes kinda like a thicket of cat-tails smells. :D

Give a kid a few worms, some bread, a way to catch a minnow and a cane pole: and he'll bring home supper. ;D

You're a good man, Uncle Buck!   Y'all go again tomorrow.  He'll remember it the rest of his life.  :)

SwampDonkey

Dang, my fish book is only on Pacific coast fishes.  :-\ I think they may be white perch up here.

crtreedude

Nope,

White Perch are something different - I used to catch them up North.

You guys are killing me - one thing I miss down here is fishing in the spring - as everything started to bite. I just got to figure out how to fish down here. So far I have been getting skunked.

I even have a small river on the finca (farm) and it does have fish - some good sized ones. I just have no idea what there are. You would think I could catch something, but I keep failing at it - too busy I guess.

There is a bass of some type down here that is supposed to fight like anything - I think it is called a peacock bass.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

Ah, I have a freshwater life book, which calls it white crappie. Just going by b/w drawings. Thanks for the pics buck. We never fished for those up this far from the mouth of the river. Mainly salmon, trout, pickeral (chain), and eels. I never ate an eel, they used to be around getting the fish guts outta your hands when cleaning salmon.

SwampDonkey

I am up north, but never fished them or seen them till Buck posted them fish pics ;) ;D   errr are they different still?? :D

Thank You Sponsors!