iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've done a job like this for a church floor. 
Just once I say.

There will be more nails hiding than you can find.
You will gain a few more gray hairs and your last nerve will be exposed.  :D

Good luck Peter......you got this.  8)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

I'm thinking four step process.
Step 1, unload and spread them out in the dirt, which may rub some of the sand out of them.
Step 2, hit em with a good metal detector to at least spot and remove the majority of the big metal.  
Step 3, start sawing.
Step 4, stop sawing when you get tired of changing blades, hire somebody and have them repeat step 2. :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

:D :D It won't be that bad YellowHammer.  :D :D
All by the hr and the pay is very very good.
 I save older blades for a job just like this.
I have boxes and boxes of blades that are ½ or better worn.
I'm going to sharpen them and cut nails.  :D
When I'm done I'll have boxes and boxes of new blades and a suitcase full of money.
;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

You are da man with a plan!
8)
I'll add step five:
Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 03, 2018, 06:36:12 AMEnd up with boxes and boxes of new blades and a suitcase full of money.
It doesn't get any better than that!

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

curved-wood

When I hit bunch of nails in a log a call them ''election post''. When an election campaign is in full swing there is a lot of energy and people are dreaming of changing the world and they nail signs everywhere; after the election it seems that a lot of people ( and promises ) had disappeared but the nails stay on the trees ;D

mike_belben

I wonder if road mowing crews have a name for salad shooting all the election signs. Confetti time.
Praise The Lord

Peter Drouin

I'll get some pix today of the ironwood cut up.  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Things went well-cutting square logs.

the rest of the 8' and 6'.

1 3/4 x6" 
Have two guys pulling Iorn, 

They want to save all the wood, I squire the cants then cut the target size.
3/4 x 12 side boards.

I have the guys use my Garrett.

Works well for me.

Yellowhammer you forgot step 6  When the $@#%$# $700.+ H board dies.  ::)
I had trouble when the head would not stop when the lever was in neutral. 
Had a talk with Wood Mizer and did the test thing, JUNK. smiley_skull
So for $ 65.00 I can have it overnight. ::)

The thing has over 5000 hrs on it and ten years. Wood Mizer don't make them anymore. They have the NEW version. So now I'm dead with the State bridge job and Boston job not getting cut.
You never ever keep all the money.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D arg-smiley

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Lawg Dawg

Dang, tough luck...but with 5000 hrs, you probably got your moneys worth out of it!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

PAmizerman

That's a bummer. I feel ya. I had to upgrade from setworks to accuset II because parts were no longer available.
But at least woodmizer has solutions for these problems and we're not completely dead in  the water.

You're right though the money seems to go out much faster than it comes in.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

YellowHammer

Step 7, Bang head against the nearest wall while giving WM your credit card number.  arg-smiley

YellowHammerisms:

Peter Drouin

WM did say the mill will be like a new one with the update.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

redbeard

Peter, are you cutting light  skins off the cants when your squaring them up or are you milling a thicker board so you can capture the old patina face?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bandmill Bandit

Yesterday was a pretty good day.

3280 BF of Aspen from some of the nicest aspen logs I have ever milled.

Mill was in the first log at 6:15AM and I shut it off at 2:30PM.

Everything was cut to 1/4 scale and was 2X6 minimum up to 2X12, so dimensions made the volume I did quite comfortable for my part of the job BUT not so much for the tailing crew. 

Also used a fresh carbide 7* turbo blade for the entire job and that blade is still on the mill. Id say it is good for at least that much more and cutting speed is impressive. Had a couple of gnarly old black poplars that I expected some wavy cuts in BUT they cut just fine. Pics will come, but I have to extract them from video first.      
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

4x4American

They never break down when you're slow, only when you have urgent orders...at least it seems that way with me.  Must be that's why I had such a hard time getting through to the electrical dept today at Indy, you was hoggin up the line!!! lol
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Well, I had to use the pf to get up and running 4x4. :D :D :D
With the new POWER FEED CONTROL MODULE  AK H-bridge
The new one doesn't need the old {BOB board} What WM called it.  the guy who invented it I guess. 

The top green one is gone. My mill 2008 was the last year for the BOB board
With the new up date the mill is faster going for and aft. It has a thing where I can have variable speed in reverse with the speed knob. 
I did try it, But, I had to turn the knob more often. I wanted the head to go back as fast it would go, Not at cutting speed. So I set it back to 100 mph. 
Back and forth is faster now.

So fast I cot the drag back arm on the cant and bent the arms all to ##
I had some ideas on the thing for a while.
Nows the time.
I cut 2" out of the length of the arms. The way WM dad it I had to lift the head 1½" or so to clear the cant.
Now I'm 3/8" below the blade with the arm all the way down.

Jump the blade ½" and pull back. You can see the grade #8 welded in. A mess but works well.  
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

I also got all the beam cut for the Boston job.

All this long leaf yellow Pine cut like butter. Some pitch buildup but not bad.
I have NO cotton up here and never heard of a cotton picker lube.  :D
So I'm cutting southern stuff why not try some southern pitch fix.

The stuff worked ok, I did cut dry most of the time.
The Iron was crazy  :D :D :D :D :D

Even with all the pulling, I destroyed 40 blades. 

All en all It was a good job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

crowhill

Metal! That looks like my scrap bucket savings after 60 years of tinkering!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

petefrom bearswamp

Wow thats a lot of wrecked blades and scrap metal  
peter, regarding the drag back problem sometimes speed is not your friend.
I have bent stuff even at the old speeds.
My H bridge went about 6 or 7 yrs ago on my 2008 super.
The upper old style fuse was loose and melted into the lower one frying the h bridge.
WM sold me the h bridge for I think about 600 bucks and new style fuses.
I am convinced the the old fuse wasnt tightened properly in the mfg process.
My board return was set just right from the factory. 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

YellowHammer

I think you just set a new record for the amount of junk metal generated from one saw job.  I think I would have gone crazy and started throwing things.  Kudos for sticking with it.    
YellowHammerisms:

Bandmill Bandit

My board return was PREFECT from the factory, UNTILL I was not paying attention and caught the end of a cant. I would not want it any shorter as I run so that I get the lip of my modified dragback plate UNDER the board that is coming back so that it is CARRIED by the board return and not drug back. A LOT less stress on every thing BUT requires 100 % focus on the job at ALL times. A 1/4 inch too low and you catch the cant. A 1/4 inch too high and you miss the cut to pickup the board.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 16, 2018, 01:53:34 PM
I think you just set a new record for the amount of junk metal generated from one saw job.  I think I would have gone crazy and started throwing things.  Kudos for sticking with it.    

Was over 5000 BF of 1 3/4" x 6" flooring.
I did go crazy,  :D Just keep going,

I'm so crazy that they just called and want to do another TT load.
SURRRE, I said.
I have more boxes of blades in the barn.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

That's what I say Peter with some of the off-the-wall jobs that I have sawn this year.  Laugh all of the way to the bank.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bandmill Bandit

Today was an awesome day for sawing IN SPITE of my sore body.

<br

<br

About 2/3 rds of the days cut

Did 2 of these 6" X 9" X 28' beams from the last log of the day. Fiddly but it worked very well.

The Carbide blade on the mill now has just over 7000 BF and still cutting good. 

Todays sizes were 6"x9"x20' and 4"X6"X20' which help the BF add up quicker.    

Thank You Sponsors!