iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Buggy wood

Started by Stuart Caruk, September 07, 2017, 11:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Caruk

A tree service buddy has to remove almost 100 pine trees that have a serious amount of beetles in them. Some of the trees have already been killed. Most are around 16" - 18" in diameter and wood make good lumber. He can't find a place to dump them without a tipping fee. I'm not really thrilled about bringing beetles to my log deck, so I've passed for now.

Am I right to be concerned... right now the bugs are 30+ miles a way from me. I suspect that even if cut for firewood there would still be bug problems.

Do the bugs leave once the logs are cut, or do you just perpetuate the problem?
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Ianab

The bugs that are in the standing pine now will only live in green / wet wood. As the wood dries they either mature and leave, or die.

I wouldn't stack the bug infested logs with my fresh logs, but once the wood is sawn and dried the risk is negligible.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!