iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mobil dimension

Started by DKinWA, July 05, 2008, 02:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKinWA

I found a 77' or 78' MD for $7,000 and I'm wondering if this price is in the ballpark?  It never got much use and has been stored in a shop out of the weather so it's in pretty good shape.  The last time the motor ran was 20+ years ago, so I'm sure it will take some work to get it running again.  The mill comes with endstands, trailer, extension (5 or 6') and lots of unused parts and tools.  The motor is a pull start which doesn't sound all that great to me, but it isn't necessarily a deal breaker either.  I've also got the serial number, so I thought I'd call MD and find out the history of the mill.

So.... how does this deal sound?  Thanks.

RSteiner

I have one about that vintage, it is a 127 model mounted on a tandem axle trailer.  We purchased it used when it was 3 years old set up one the trailer we paid $9,500.00 for it then.  Depending on the condition of all the drive parts and the engine $7,000.00 may be fair.

Mine has the 12 volt electric starter, I have started it with a rope a few times but I wouldn't want to do that all the time.  I have rebuilt the feedworks once or twice and replaced the belts a few times which is not all that difficult it does take time to do it correctly.

Randy
Randy

karl

I'd want to hear it run for 7 grand....but I've been told I'm cheap(if'n ex wives and kids count).
engine rebuild by MD is 2-3 grand,

Started mine a few hundred times with rope when starter was being rewound- did'nt like it.

Might want to invest in a gallon of Rust reaper to soak all the bearings with if it's been sitting that long.

Whatever you do- if you buy it ,BUY NEW MUFFLERS!!!!! - You DONT need parts from a rusted muffler falling into the cylinders(ask me how I know this ::))
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

StorminN

DK,

I would say $7,000 is too much for that vintage of a MDS. I say that because I've seen 1980's MD 128 hydrostatics go for $8-10k, complete on MD trailers. You mention this mill has the endstands, but does it have the rack-and-pinion endstands, or is the left-to-right movement done with cables? If so, the upgrade to rack-and-pinion is $1,500 or so. Someone on the board here just upgraded to electric start, too... I think it was $1,000? It was more than I remembered.

Anyway, I paid $6,000 for my MD 127, (it was electric start, but cable left-right feed and no return rope setup) and I now think I paid too much. Don't get me wrong, I love my mill, but if I had been patient, I could have owned a hydrostatic 128 for what I paid for my 127 + what I've put into it in upgrades.
Be patient, look around, you will find a deal... especially here in WA... there are a LOT of these saws around once you start looking. Call Ron at MD and ask him what he thinks, I bet he'll tell you the same thing...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

forgeiron

I recently bought a 1979 MD from a friend that had the engine and carriage stored in his shop.
It is in pretty good condition but still needs some tlc. I bought the electric conv. kit from MD and that was about $950.00. Also now I'm replacing the fan shroud as that was rusted out. So I'll probably have close to $2000.00 added by the time I get it sawing logs. From what I'm told I will want to add rack and pinion end stands and the rope return too so there's another
$1650.00 or more. My friend originally was going to ask $5000.00 for it which I thought was a fair price but he let me have it for $2500.00 which I think is a steal, at least for that price I don't mind investing in these upgrades and repairs. Also I was warned about rust from the mufflers getting into the engine so I took off the exhaust and sure enough I must have dumped about 1/3 cup or rust out of the pipes! This forum is really great this way.

DKinWA

Thanks for the comments everyone.  The end stands are cable, so I would probably want to upgrade them along with the electric start for the motor so there's another $2,500.  Then there is still the question of the motor since it hasn't been run for 20+ years, so it may even need some expensive work.  At a minimum, I'm sure the carb will need cleaning and it sounds like changing the muffler would be a real good idea.  I'm going to call MD tomorrow, but it sounds like I should either offer a lot less or keep looking.

I also came across a used Mighty Mite today that has been sitting for a couple of years.  It looks like it is in good shape, so I'm going to see if I can track down the owner.  I'm sure it's more money, but it looks like a lot more mill too.  Thanks again everyone.

Thank You Sponsors!