iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

utv's

Started by xlogger, February 10, 2018, 04:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

used ones in good price range are usually completely beat to death or you have to be really fast to get it.

The cub cadet version that Coxy has which is another rhino clone that matches my qlink go for about 7600 brand new last I knew.

I bought it for the drivetrain but then I figured out it worked really good so I put it back together and just ran it. Great machine really alot of fun and very useful.

Raider Bill

I have a GEO Tracker. UTV with A/C and heat.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Crusarius

starmac

Several years ago, one of the off road magazines did a comparison between a susuki sumari and bigger 4 wheelers, the susuki did real well,

At one time in Texas a company was building 4 wheelers out of bronco 11's, V6 engines and auto trannys, with 33 inch tires. They had 3 different body styles that I knew of, but didn't stay on the market long. I always figured they ran into some liability problems.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Crusarius on February 13, 2018, 12:34:11 PM
and street legal :)
Yepper! We beat that thing like a red headed stepchild in the woods then go gas up in town and grab a bite. All in style.
I think the Samurai has a solid axle in the front, seen several made as rock crawlers. Tracker is independent.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Crusarius

Lockers are your friend :)

coxy

the utv is street legal to just read the dec web site 

Crusarius

street legal with SMV sign? and under 25 mph?

I didn't think anything like that was allowed on NY streets?

cbay

The price of UTV's make me proud to use our old beat up Ford ranger 4wd.   

coxy

Quote from: Crusarius on February 13, 2018, 06:24:46 PM
street legal with SMV sign? and under 25 mph?

I didn't think anything like that was allowed on NY streets?
the triangle and you need insurance  they are a utv not an atv they don't come with a title in ny but an atv has a title in ny    utvs  fall under a farm vehicle  I'm not shur about the racy type looking ones like the rzr 1000 if they have a title    the law has never stopped me on the main road i drive it up/down a county rd i have been going one way as they where going the other they may have been able to give me a ticket for no helmet and no seat belt cause i refuse to wear them  cant give me a speeding ticket cause it only goes  45mph wide open down hill  i even asked the sheriff about it and they said its a big grey spot in the law but if your not ripping around town and causing trouble do what you have to and have fun there is some info on them from the dec  and that's what i and a friend has gone by for about 8-9 years now with no trouble

Ed

I have an 07 Ranger 6x6.....2000 hours & 13000 miles.

Full cab with heat.

Replaced some front end parts but the rear axles are fully locked together all the time. Turning ain't easy. On my second set of rear tires, 3rd set on the front.

Still on the original belt.....

It gets used a bunch hauling firewood, can't imagine how many face cord it's hauled out of the woods.

Ed

xlogger

The sale that I should of got one at when for around $4200, Kubota diesel, top, windshield, hyd dump around 1500 hours. It was a rental, probably seen some rough times but I figure for that price if it had a problem maybe a couple $$ would fix it and I would still not have over $10,000 in it.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

PA_Walnut

A word about Kubota RTV and it's hydro trans: it's a mule, pleasant to drive and dependable, but if the trans gets loaded-up (ie. you're pushing something or lugging on it), it's difficult to shift. There's a relief valve you can use manually, which sometimes helps, but other times you have to shut it off to relieve the pressures. Not a huge deal, but a PITA at times. I believe the solved it in newer models.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

petefrom bearswamp

2012 rtv900, no issues mechanically but has some quirks.
Was $10,000 at that time.
Doesn't like to start in cold weather and even when below 50 degrees must use the glow plugs.
difficult to shift out of gear on a slope unless the brake is depressed, wont go up a fairly steep hill when empty at full throttle, but does just fine when pedal is partially depressed.
I have a 3-1/2 foot rack on mine and heap it up with firewood with no problems.
A real workhorse and very easy on diesel.
Mine doesnt go anywhere near 45 MPH about 25 tops.
No road issues here and mine is not street legal, no lights turn signals etc.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

ChugiakTinkerer

I picked up an Arctic Cat '15 model that was old dealer stock and discounted nicely.  It's good for trail riding and hauling but needs better tires for the mud.  I looked around and was considering Ranger, Mule, and the RTV.  The Kubota is definitely a work horse but didn't suit my needs for off-road use.  The Ranger is probably the best all around, and I would have jumped at the chance to get one with the discount I got on my Arctic Cat.  If you are looking at aftermarket accessories, the Ranger rules the roost.
Woodland Mills HM130

coxy

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on February 14, 2018, 08:55:57 AM
2012 rtv900, no issues mechanically but has some quirks.
Was $10,000 at that time.
Doesn't like to start in cold weather and even when below 50 degrees must use the glow plugs.
difficult to shift out of gear on a slope unless the brake is depressed, wont go up a fairly steep hill when empty at full throttle, but does just fine when pedal is partially depressed.
I have a 3-1/2 foot rack on mine and heap it up with firewood with no problems.
A real workhorse and very easy on diesel.
Mine doesnt go anywhere near 45 MPH about 25 tops.
No road issues here and mine is not street legal, no lights turn signals etc.
pete the reason it wont go up hill full throttle is that the hydrostat pump is wide open also   try going up the hill then let off and hit it wide open again it should bring the pump down and you should be able to go full throttle with the motor but the hyrostat pump should be mostly closed and you will have lots of power at a snail pace if you know what i mean 

DR_Buck

Here is one of the days I routinely abused my Gator...... and it survived.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

John Mc

My UTV is a 1960's era Coot. The grandfather of all ATVs/UTVs. 4WD, 4W-Steer, articulated, amphibious.

Powered by a 16 HP Briggs Vanguard engine (original engine was a 12 HP single-cylinder Tecumseh). Geared for power: top speed is about 20 MPH. No differentials: all wheels turn the same speed all the time (which is why the 4W-steer was a popular option). Will go through just about anything. About the only way to get it stuck is to bottom it out in the snow or mud (it has 12" ground clearance, so bottoming out doesn't happen very often). I have towed 3000# with it on relatively level ground. It will tow 1500# comfortably.

In the photo below, the right rear wheel is just coming down off a big rock, so the articulation between the front and rear tubs is shown. The design keeps all 4 wheels on the ground even in some very rough terrain.

This photo was taken before I put the roll bar back on. I've also since added a winch in the front and a 2" receiver hitch on the rear. This one is my work/beater Coot. I have another that looks better which I will soon add the optional propeller outdrive to (assuming I can find an appropriate prop).

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Kbeitz

I like that Coot... I made this 4 wheel drive.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

John, I had a 1977 COOT, but sold it quite a long time ago!

We had a lot of fun with it, and it would go places that others couldn't!

I also replaced the Tecumseh with the 16hp Briggs, installed a cooling fan to the outside, under the seat!

I used to frequent "Cootworld.com"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

John Mc

Hey Chuck. That's great. Where did you mount your fan on your Coot? My engine area does get a bit warm. I've been thinking of doing something similar myself. That's one of the great things about Coots: very easy to customize (my wife had trouble with muscling the 4 wheel steering around, so I put in a "steering quickener", but put it in backwards so it geared the steering down 2:1. Steering is a breeze for her or my 13 year old daughter now).

I got addicted to Coots because the because they are a quirky little thing. I own two running ones, and another for parts. Two other guys in town each own one as well. I like to claim that we have the highest number of Coots per capita of any city in the US (it helps that our town population is only around 2000).

BTW, my wife is from Pulaski, NY (South of Watertown). A lot of her family is still in the area. Her cousin is working as a Verterinary Technician at the Canton Animal Hospital (probably 20 or 25 minutes from you?)

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Crusarius

I forgot about the coot. I would love to have one as a toy. But would probably be better as a utility vehicle. Be so easy to customize for anything you want. Could be a dump bed a log hauler a flat bed a seat for more ppl. Now you got me wanting to build one :)

What does that have for an drivetrain?

Banjo picker

I use this machine just about daily.  It is a workhorse, but it does have its limitations.  I have found it to be very reliable as to cranking, but as has been said unless its in the dead of summer you need to use the glow plugs to start it.  It has hauled out every stick of firewood that I have burned since it was new in 2006.  As you can see from the second picture I don't over load it NOW.  I did in the past and had to pay for my sins.  If you will look at the back bumper on this machine it is built in a radius.  The problem is your u joints which on these early models at least were not greaseable.  And you have to jack the unit up and take the bumper loose to get the ujoints out to change them.  I have done that two times over a twelve year period.  I also had to change out one of the front cvc axles...which wasn't a real big job and the axle was just a bit over $100.00.  If you are looking at a used one, you need to have it checked out really good by someone that knows their stuff.  If you had to take one to a dealer to have the rear end u joints done i would bet it would be very expensive.  And on a side note all the kubota parts are high in price, and you just about have to use their transmission oils to make it work right. 

All that said,  I love the little machine and when something needs fixing that gets TOP priority over just about any thing else.  The only way I would get rid of it would be to get another one.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

John Mc

Quote from: Crusarius on February 15, 2018, 11:01:29 AM
I forgot about the coot. I would love to have one as a toy. But would probably be better as a utility vehicle. Be so easy to customize for anything you want. Could be a dump bed a log hauler a flat bed a seat for more ppl. Now you got me wanting to build one :)

What does that have for an drivetrain?

Drive train is fairly unusual: There is a variable pitch clutch consisting of the drive clutch on the engine, and a driven clutch on the input shaft of the transmission, connected by a special drive belt. As the engine speed increased, parts on the drive and driven clutches moved, changing the pulley ratio between the two. (A similar system was used on some snowmobiles at one point.) The Apex transmission had two forward gears and one reverse. This connected via chain drive to a drive shaft running almost the length of the Coot. The driveshaft connected to "Torque Transmitters", one on the front axle, and one on the rear - right where you would expect a differential to be if it had differentials). The torque transmitters had a worm gear driving a ring gear on the axle, providing further gear reduction.  I liked the look of the ring and worm gear enough that I replaced the lid on the front Torque Transmitter with a Lexan cover, so I could see it in operation.

I ended up replacing the speed sensitive clutch with a torque-sensing model. This is quite an improvement in the way the Coot handles a load, you can now get full RPMs out of the motor even at low speeds (1st gear was already quite low, but the change greatly reduces the need to downshift when you get to a hill when puling a load).

With no differential, the 2 wheel steer models took some space to get turned around (though if you were lucky, there was enough slip on soft ground to allow tighter turning). The 4WS models improved turning radius significantly, though tight maneuvering is still not the Coot's strong point.

You can find out more at the Coot user's group at www.cootworld.net

Crusarius

so lots of room for improvement :)

Thank You Sponsors!