iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Packaging Cherry Lumber

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 01, 2015, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I may be wrong but I really think packaging my Cherry Lumber this way helps the sales.

In the past, I would merely take picks of it on the mill or leaning lumber on a wall. Well I still do but now I stack sticker and band.

Sawed 160 bf today, brushed it, stacked and stickered it, banded it, put it on the internet and BAM.....in less than 30 minutes, it was sold......at my price......more than $300.  ;D
The customer also complimented me on how the Cherry was advertised on the net.

I got some really nice 5/4 x 12, 10, 8 and 6 boards.

Can be loaded on a trailer by 2 guys, or by using straps and the forks. The customer takes it home and he and a helper unload, set the bundles in a shed to be aired dried or even taken to a kiln.

Pretty neat I think.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bruno of NH

That's slick !
And a fast sale :)
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ianab

Certainly looks likes a "professional" product when it's bundled up like that. It's easy for the customer to visualise how much wood he's getting for his money and you don't have the hassle of picking out individual boards.

"Here's the bundle, it's $300, back up your truck"  :)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ianab on September 01, 2015, 07:14:15 PM

"Here's the bundle, it's $300, back up your truck"  :)

:D :D :D :D :D Good 1 Ian.

Everyday, all day, I'm keep thinking...how can I market lumber in a way no one else does.  :)

Magicman

I think that it is a neat deal too.  You are da man.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

finding that unique way to move out that lumber . . .
I heard of a local miller that scans the latest issue of American Woodworker or Fine Woodworking.
He figures out the cut list of rough lumber that's needed for the 'project of the month'.
Sorta like a do-it-yourself centrefold . . .
Advertises on Kijiji and Craigs List for air dried lumber for the project - and sells bundles of bundles.
Poston - noticed that you're upselling. " . . MORE than $300 bucks." Good for you!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ozarker

Yep, that's some attractive, and effective marketing. Cudos.

thecfarm

It's eye appealing,that sells. But you have to have a good product behind it too.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Just remember to put a disclaimer at the bottom of the ad: "Goat not included!". ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tree Dan

Yaa , keep an eye on the Goat...maybe the customer Is really comeing for the goat and makes you think he wants the Cherry :D
The stacks of Cherry look neat...good job!
I also think it may be a better way to keep the stack from cupping in the kiln with it strapped like that, instead of useing blocks.
All in all great Idea!
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Kipper

LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

WDH

That is some nice cherry  :).  What is your phone #?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 01, 2015, 08:52:28 PM

Sorry, its already been sold.  smiley_cry

longtime lurker

We do the same thing... take a picture of the pack.

If its dry we'll break the pack down to reclaim the sticks, retally for degrade etc etc. Then strap it back up and take a picture of it then. One thing I have found with dry timber is that planing the face of a board in the top of the pack helps...  nothing like a picture of a freshly planed board wet down with white spirits to help the customer see what it is they're getting in terms of colour and grain. Eye candy for woodworkers... ;D

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Ianab

Quote from: Andries on September 01, 2015, 08:05:40 PM
finding that unique way to move out that lumber . . .
I heard of a local miller that scans the latest issue of American Woodworker or Fine Woodworking.
He figures out the cut list of rough lumber that's needed for the 'project of the month'.
Sorta like a do-it-yourself centrefold . . .
Advertises on Kijiji and Craigs List for air dried lumber for the project - and sells bundles of bundles.
Poston - noticed that you're upselling. " . . MORE than $300 bucks." Good for you!

That's an idea.

You could even do some standard "kits" with generic plans for a table, or deck chair, or... whatever. They are bundled with a plan and maybe even a DVD?

Because you have the cut list already you can make use of short or low grade boards. If the plan is for a 5 ft table, you want a stack of 5'1" boards, not 8ft boards. Some matching pieces for legs, apron etc and it's a complete "kit". The smaller "extra" pieces can be cross-cut or ripped from boards that would otherwise be rejects.

Of course you would have to be careful that everything in the kitset was actually good quality and usable, but it would be fine to give a replacement warranty for any reject board, and replace miss-cut ones for a nominal charge if the customer messed up. Or bundle in a spare board, as a bonus "oops" board.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

scsmith42

David, that's a great approach!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

AK Newbie

Great idea!  Looks very professional and makes the customers job easier! I also like Longtime Lurkers idea of planing one of the boards and taking a pic of the grain characteristics of your boards!  What brand of bander are you using?
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: AK Newbie on September 02, 2015, 01:07:38 AM
What brand of bander are you using?

I got the whole shooting match from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. Around $300.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on September 01, 2015, 08:52:28 PM

As seen on Hee-Haw...

BR 549

MP_Wall

Just an idea, package it by the project? I notice the one banded load looks like enough to do a bed with enough of the pieces for legs, headboard and foot board. Band up enough wood to do a kitchen table, a pair of end tables, bed frame, dresser, or cabinets. Like I said off the top of my head before enough coffee.  MPW

mesquite buckeye

Looking good.  ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

If you lay out the boards as bookmatches you might have trouble getting them stickered before the calls start. ;D ;D ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

giant splinter

I like the three hundred dollar price tag .....  materhead
nice looking material David
roll with it

slider

I think you need to suck that belly in next time you go viral on the net.Just trying to help no offence.
al glenn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: slider on September 02, 2015, 09:15:30 PM
I think you need to suck that belly in next time you go viral on the net.Just trying to help no offence.

Bellies and gray hair are in right now.  :D :D :D :D

The belly is proof I was at the Pig Roast.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!