iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoker Question / Where's Raider Bill?....UPDATE!!!! 4-15-15

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 15, 2014, 04:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have a Masterbuilt Smoker. It sets under the porch of my Man Cave building.
The temp got down to about 33° last night. Well, so what?  :D

I had 2 racks of ribs I wanted to smoke today. I put them in the smoker at 11am......the outside temp was 40°.

I went back to check on the ribs about an hour later and the smoker temp was only a 45°.......I could not get it any hotter.
Finally took the Ribs out and cooked them in the oven.
Is this normal for a Smoker NOT to heat up in cold weather? I'm gonna start Googling this to see what's going on.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

red oaks lumber

goat
45 deg. is not cold. :) you just need to feed the beast to get it and keep it hot. :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

drobertson

I don't know anything about those fancy smokers, but can testify to the fact cold weather smoking is a chore. Last Feb or so we did a Brisket, snow on the ground, long time on the smoker, it ended up in the oven too.  We did get a good smoke ring just took forever,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on November 15, 2014, 05:57:22 PM
goat
45 deg. is not cold. :) you just need to feed the beast to get it and keep it hot. :D

Its electric.  ::)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on November 15, 2014, 06:30:19 PM
Quote from: red oaks lumber on November 15, 2014, 05:57:22 PM
goat

Its electric.  ::)
I think I found your problem  :D.  Seriously though, is there any vents on it you can plug?  It helped with our gas grill, now it'll almost makes it to 400  ::).  I still like my little charcoal grill  ;D.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

red oaks lumber

come on goat! electric? man up with charcoal :D if i could only grill or smoke in warm weather heck, i would eat grits also ;)
serious charcoal with get you though the "cold' weather ;D

Raider Bill

I dunno about them there frigid temperatures you Northerners have. :D
My electric smoker is insulated and the only 2 perforations in it are about the size of a dime for intake and exhaust.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: red oaks lumber on November 16, 2014, 03:35:55 PM
if i could only grill or smoke in warm weather heck, i would eat grits also ;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :snowman: popcorn_smiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

DanG

What does that electric smoke taste like?  Enquiring minds want to know.  :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

red oaks lumber

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: DanG on November 17, 2014, 02:09:07 AM
What does that electric smoke taste like?  Enquiring minds want to know.  :P

Sorta like one of those E-CIGARATTES I guess.  :D

Weekend_Sawyer

Charcoal!! preferably lump... in a BGE!  8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Don_Papenburg

DanG, Have you ever been in a closet drilling with one of them cheap drills and have a drill bit get hung up as you drilled into an electric box and the smoke seals went out on your drill ?  Well that electric smoke has to impart that flavor on you rack of ribs
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well I brought the Smoker to the shop. Tore it all down. Tested the element......it is broken inside the tube where my fingers are in the pic.

I started to throw the whole shooting match away but instead I called Masterbuilt.

Since I had registered my smoker and gave them the correct numbers, they are sending me a rebuild kit FOR FREE! 8)
I would have never known this if I had never made the call and let my frustration throw my smoker in the recycle bin.
Now while waiting on the parts, I'll take my time and clean it up using a light sand paper. Got the door looking pretty good.  :)
I feel better and glad I made the call.

21incher

I like the Trager pellet grill / smoker I picked up last fall. Just set the temp and it doesn't mater how cold it is. I used it all winter up here in the north. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It was;t the cold, it was the element. But the pellet smokers I have never used....but I've heard they are good.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

LittleJohn

Here's the little guy that I use;
https://www.chargriller.com/index.php/grills-smokers/charcoal-grills-smokers/smokin_pro_grill-detail.html

Not technically a smoker, unless you can keep the temperatures low enough; I typically use as an indirect charcoal grill.  Did a turkey, last Thanksgiving, 8 hours later , it was awesome  ;D  Picky SIL, who does no tlike turkey asked for seconds

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have 2 neighbors who have the same as you LJ. They work good!

ScottAR

Nothing wrong with a barrel smoker.  I use the same thing. Mine doesn't have the side box so I have to keep a small fire on the intake side and food on the stack side. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Raider Bill

I use the same thing [ offset] in Tenn. They work great.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!