iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made the Apple Butter yesterday

Started by Qweaver, November 23, 2014, 08:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We did our yearly apple butter cook yesterday.  This year we followed the suggestion of my BIL and used a propane burner.  It worked great.  I used far less than a bottle of gas and his 3 section burner put out the perfect amount of heat.  This will be our way of making AB from now on.  We had a fire going just outside of the garage where we were cooking for comfort and the man cave was only a few steps away where we had food, snacks, drinks and college football on  the TV.  A good, fun day was had by all!
Some called this the best apple butter that we've ever made...I know it was the easiest.  I also made an enclosure out of steel roofing that helped keep the heat close around the pot.  I ordered a burner just like my BILs for $45 with shipping so I don't have to borrow his...much turkey, shrimp and fish cooking now planned.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

luvmexfood

Don't really believe you made apple butter. You need to send me a jar as proof.  :D ;D :D
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

goose63

Quote from: luvmexfood on November 24, 2014, 02:15:42 AM
Don't really believe you made apple butter. You need to send me a jar as proof.  :D ;D :D
x2 or at least pictures
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

coxy

ok what is apple butter never heard of it  ;D

drobertson

It does seem like a photo is quite necessary for proper validation. ;D   sounds like you got the recipe!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

Qweaver

This burner would also make a good crawdad cooker but the bugs are not as available here in the hills as they were in south Texas.  I really miss that.  Nothing like a firery hot mudbugs and icy cold beer.  Eat tails and suck heads. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

coxy

luvmexfood

When in Louisana one time went to a crawfish boil. Ate the tails and sucked the guts. Then chased with 151 rum straight. Never again.

coxy

RM Farm

I've heard of it but what do you use it on?
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

goose63

Quote from: RM Farm on November 25, 2014, 03:20:50 AM
I've heard of it but what do you use it on?
toast pancakes scones its good stuff
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Don_Papenburg

I can't believe so many have never seen or hear tell of apple butter.  It is an old way of preserving an abundance of apples . or using your crop of apples.
It is made by cutting and cooking apples in a big pot over a fire . constant stirring required to keep the apples from scorching .  I put apple cider in the pot when I cook  some use water. or a mix of both .  I peal core and slice mine.  some leave the skins on , that makes a pink/red colored butter. mine is a rich brown color.
with the skins on the cooked apples have to be run through a foley mill . with them removed before cooking you can add the spices (I use cinnamon and sugar) and can the stuff if you have any left over from samplers. It should be like a very thick apple sauce ,but the taste is much better.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

thecfarm

The wife makes and sell some. She makes it in a slow cooker.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

luvmexfood

Made some on the stove one time. Receipe said to be ware of the volocanic action. Didn't know what they ment but do now. It would plop and shoot some up high enough to hit the stove fan. And if some happened to hit you it would burn worse than hot slag from welding.

beenthere

And luv, I recall when the volcanic eruptions in the apple butter happened, I was reminded and told to get busy stirring and turn the heat down or it would burn/scald the butter.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kwendt

I'm curious! What make and model of burner? Sounds like a vast improvement to me!!! I want one!!! Lol
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

kwendt

I couldn't help it. I took the last of my Cortlands and some dried cranberries.... Cooked Em off together with cinnamon and allspice an brown sugar. Yum...yum.... On my steel cut oatmeal this am....yum. Yum... !
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

Thank You Sponsors!