iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

V plow for skidder

Started by redneck, January 03, 2009, 09:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneck

I have a 208 timberjack with a 353.  I need to plow a road aobut 1 mile or longer and when there is lots of snow after a big storm the straight blade on the machine just does not do the trick.  Some V plows from DOT trucks look very heavy for my small machine.  I found a couple of small V plows from 3 ton trucks but they are a little expensive at 1000 dollars, and they only cut a swath about 7 feet wide.  Are angle blades any good like the wings off a truck?  If you have any advice  and photos of you plows and how they hook up to your machine it would be much appreciated..... I would love to know what works and what does not
Thanks
Redneck
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

Scott

Hi Redneck
Are you the same guy who has an add on Kijiji looking for a plow for the 208? A lot of loggers that I've met make their own plows by cutting an old pipe in half and then welding some homemade rigging on. Another guy I know got an old propane bullet and cut it in half length wise (after purging it of course!). He used the two halves to build his own V plow. For a small machine like yours you might be best finding and old one way snow blade and welding on some rigging. Good luck!

redneck

Yup that me, no emails from kijiji yet  but i have found 4 V plows just asking arround.  the two large ones i think maybe too heavy.
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

stonebroke

You might want to mount a big plow from a DOT truck. Then you could go up and back and have the banks pushed back. For that matter wing plows might work to. Also some DOT trucks on the interstates have  reversible angle plows for doing the left lanes.

Stonebroke

Maineloggerkid

We used to use a wing of a state truck on our 540B at school, with quick pins and a chian so it could bounce up and down as it hit bumps. It worked pretty well. We could clear a road for the trucks in 2 passes.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

redneck

that would be nice to have a free floating blade so when it hits a rock or stump on side of road it just jumps instead of breaking something.  Easier on my back too ;D

Maineloggerkid

Ya, it was a nice feature. The pins and the slots for them also act as shear pins if you hit something real solid like a frozen log pile. I had to re-weld they pin tabs a few times.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Ironwood

Sometimes you can find some nice surplus and used stuff in the 10-12' range. I found a very clean 10' Meyers military surplus from Md. If I recall I paid a few hundred buck fer it. Included a frame, cylinders and mold board, but no truck frame work/ pump. I grabbed it for my F-550 if the global warming thing ever reverses course. What about welding a few 7' Meyers together? Lots of those around, just gave my buddy one of those.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

rputt.tj200

I usually just read the posting but this one caught my attention.  I had a 230 timberjack that I mounted one of the bigger v plows on that you are talking about.  It moved alot of snow but it was too heavy for the front of the machine and I had problems with trying to lift the blade, going uphill, etc.  I sold that one and now have a 201 timberjack that I have a 10' wing mounted on the stacking blade.  It is very easy to manage and I can turn corners  a lot easier than I could with the 230.   I will try and get some photos posted to show how I mounted it if you are interested...

VT

http://www.plowsite.com/

Ill post a few more when i trip over them again.

I run snowblowers , just have to watch the stuff coming out after you feel the jar / bump.

I killed 1 kids bike so far this year , and needed to spend a day welding and repairing the blower.

VT

shinnlinger

Don't know if this helps.  I rigged an old truck plow up as a wing blade for my tractor.  I raise and lower it by rolling the bucket and I bet you could raise and lower it by moving your blade.  Very simple and cheap and a lighter machine can push banks back with it
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

redneck

rputt.tj200  if  you have photos of your mounting set up and blade that would be a big help.

you said it was a 10 foot blade but how much angle did you put on it or did you mount it straight?  can your machine push it in deep snow after a storm?  and is yours a free floating blade so it can move over bumps in the road.
thanks

redneck

shinnlinger that what i could use to push the banks back when they get too high :)
how many hp is your kubota? ???

shinnlinger

Here is a few more shots.  I think my blade was an old meyer plow so the whole unit will spring if I get hung up, but I put a small bolt in the unit so it can break away if needed.  I torched the A frame a bit and cranked it all the way over on the plow and then fabbed up and mounted the "truck side" at the mid point on my tractor.  This would be easier if you had the whole plow setup in the first place.  I ran a chain through a pulley off the canopy.

You could do very similar an your skidder and use your blade to raise and lower.  This thing pops on and off my tractor very easily.
Shinnlinger

Tim L

It looks good how does it plow?
Do the best you can and don't look back

shinnlinger

Tim,

I am in the middle of my second winter with it and LOVE it.  That really is not too strong a word for how well it works.  I run my rear blade cranked the other way and can plow 12 ft in a pass.  (could you hang a rear blade from the skidder winch???) I have another blade in the bucket for cleanup, but the wing is the main plow.  It works well and really excells at pushing banks back.
Shinnlinger

rputt.tj200

I was able to make the mount over from a manual angle blade that I had out back for one of those "never know when you might need it things."  The blade has an angle of about 30" in front of the blade on the left side to touching the stacking blade on the right.  It give it enough sweep to clean in front of the tires so I am not running it my bank.  As far a pushing snow use this machine for a back up on my driveway(9.0 miles)  the most I have had to plow is one storm a couple of years ago around 30" with deeper drifts.  The machine moved the snow but some came over the top of the blade, I ahd to make a couple of passes to get things cleaned up.  The only other thing i would suggest installing is a seat belt....I have to get going in about thrid gear to really get the snow rolling!!  It can be quite the ride you want to be on top of things.  I will get some pics for you ASAP, I don't have any of the 230 rig but I can take some of the 201.  

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

redneck

Nice work with that blade :o can't wait to show my boss your pics

Ironwood

Definintely Meyers, fairly early with the narrow A frame,  someone put Western shoes on it., looks like it is still in real good shape. Must not have been left out in the weather.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

TeaW

I use a V nose plow on my 440 JD when I have to . It is heavy but plowing it sits on 3 shoes and all your doing is pushing it. Have a bar welded to plow to push with blade chains up easy .Blade lifts it alright but it is heavy and load it to move it any distance. The bigger  V's lift the snow higher to get it back out of your road more. When the snow gets deep you put one side into the bank and lift it up and over, a bit of speed helps if you can get it. Haveing to plow snow once or twice a day sure does slow down production. Good luck.
TeaW

Reddog

I found a couple of plow halves from a 8'2" boss plow. Then welded them into a permenat V at 7' wide. I then used the quick hooks on my loader bucket to hold it on.
Some one mentioned using two meyer 7' blades and welding them together. That would work good for a 10'-12' range wide V.

shinnlinger

Iron wood,

Was that a joke about not being left out in the weather?  A buddy found it in the woods hunting a few years back.  It is pretty rusted but gets the job done.  I found those shoes at the dump and modified them a bit to make them work.

Shinnlinger

Ironwood

Yeah Shinnlinger,

Your buddy put me up to this :D ;D. Na, it just looked lightly surface rusted. Usually if is left out for any amount of time it will deeply pit and even compromise the structure (I see them like that frequently).

Ironwood

shinnlinger

Iron,

One of the ribs is pretty toast, but you are right it is sound enough to Get-R-Done!!!

NOTE FROM JEFF! THIS IS THE 500,000th POST ON THE FORESTRY FORUM!

Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!