iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Utility snowmobile ?

Started by John_Haylow, March 12, 2013, 09:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

Hello everyone,
I am looking for some input as to what model of snowmobile I should be looking at. I would like to find and older model in the $2000 range for doing firewood, possibly an alpine or skandic. I see a 1985 alpine 503 in that price range that looks in nice shape. I'm just concerned with the poor steering of the alpine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

DonT

If you can find an alpine in good shape for 2000.00 that is a decent price.They are big and heavy but are also work horses,iwould mount a winch on  the front.If you are just going to use the sled to get you into the bush the Skandic with a little trailer would work well but they can get pricey.  I use an arctic cat touring machine.I prefer a fan cooled engine as it may sit and idle a bit,a liquid cooled sled sitting still is not going to get the snow it needs on its cooling fins.I would also suggest a sled with reverse.   DonT

Timbercrk1

I would get a skidoo skandic if you can find one. They are work horses and a lot of people swear by them. I am keeping a eye out for one in my area but the older ones are rare. Good luck.

reride82

I use a 1993 Arctic Cat 700 for pulling logs and firewood in the winter, and it does very well. But I agree something with a winch and reverse would be nice. Also something with storage for saws, oil, gas, rope, cable, axes, etc. I currently have a milk crate mounted behind the seat and creative placement on the running board for the chainsaw. It works, but is clumsy getting into the woods and back out. But I can move wood pretty quick once I'm going... 

smiley_horserider
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

snowstorm

the alpine was ...it... in its day. i knew someone that had 2 of them to drag trails with. they didnt turn well. clutching was not very modern so they were hard on belts. a better choice might be a Polaris wide track or a arctic cat bearcat bolth used a 20"x155" track and 2sp trans. reverse is a must

Quebecnewf

Yamaha VK540. Hard to beat for this type of work. I have been using tem for the last 12 years and they do the job real well

Just a few pics from winter logging. More in my gallery

Quebecnewf

jocco

Alpine hands down ;D You could look at a bomardier J5, a small crawler like Oliver oc3 just a thought :)
You may check out but you will never leave

Quebecnewf

An Alpine is NOT the answer. They don't turn worth s**t and they will not pull any more than a Skandic or a VK. You have 2 tracks to maintain as well as the undergear 2x. They will burn up belts if they are loaded and get stuck in the blinck on an eye.

Been logging with snowmobile for 20 years and in this region the Alpine was just a oddity. They tried them as a means of towing graders on the snowmobile trail and that diden't work out as well. Motors blew and they were stuck all the time.

Just my informed views

Quebecnewf

jocco

They were used for work here and did good job (yes they have issues) the 503 safari was another work sled. Not to much logging going on with a snow sled here now. Even bombardiers and those international lag skidders are gone :(  Seems all the new sleds are for trail rides even the old Moto ski ms18 was a work sled!!!! ;D

Quote from: Quebecnewf on March 13, 2013, 09:59:22 AM
An Alpine is NOT the answer. They don't turn worth s**t and they will not pull any more than a Skandic or a VK. You have 2 tracks to maintain as well as the undergear 2x. They will burn up belts if they are loaded and get stuck in the blinck on an eye.

Been logging with snowmobile for 20 years and in this region the Alpine was just a oddity. They tried them as a means of towing graders on the snowmobile trail and that diden't work out as well. Motors blew and they were stuck all the time.

Just my informed views

Quebecnewf
You may check out but you will never leave

Bill Johnson

The later model Alpine's with the wider ski were a great improvement over the earlier ones.

The wide ski with the upsweep on each end made reversing a whole lot easier, and they seemed to steer a lot better too.

The reverse gear was nice as you could sometimes back yourself out of problem before throwing your back out trying to manhandle one of those beast.

The nice thing about the older machines are they're not as complicated to work on as some of the new ones.

If you decide to go with a double track I suggest a good 12 volt winch or at least a come-a-long might be in order, they're not too pretty and they don't really blast down the trail but they do work hard.
Bill

beenthere

QuoteThey were used for work here and did good job

Sorry, have to ask but where is "here" ?

Would help to edit your bio and give at least an approx. location.
thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bill Johnson

I've been in a few places, Kirkland Lake, Elk Lake and Red Lake and each office had one or two of the big yellow things
Bill

Dom

When it comes to snowmobiles, I would not second guess Quebecnewf.
I rarely see a Alpine or skandic anymore, I'm sure there's a reason for that. They used to be popular at skihills and for sugar maple. Not anymore.

The government surplus site just got rid of a entire fleet of skandic.

Quebecnewf

Quote from: Bill Johnson on March 13, 2013, 03:27:38 PM
The later model Alpine's with the wider ski were a great improvement over the earlier ones.

The wide ski with the upsweep on each end made reversing a whole lot easier, and they seemed to steer a lot better too.

The reverse gear was nice as you could sometimes back yourself out of problem before throwing your back out trying to manhandle one of those beast.

The nice thing about the older machines are they're not as complicated to work on as some of the new ones.

If you decide to go with a double track I suggest a good 12 volt winch or at least a come-a-long might be in order, they're not too pretty and they don't really blast down the trail but they do work hard.

The Alpines with 2 tracks are twice as complicated to work at underneath. You have 2 tracks and 2 sets of undergear to deal with. The engine is simple and there is lots of room to work at it but that is not where your problem will be. The undergear will fail and need work long before the engine normally and when it fails it is a monster to work at. You normally have to take down both sets to work on just one set. The bearing you need to change is always on the inside for some strange reason.

Quebecnewf

snowstorm

i see you really like your yamaha's ......so what do you think of arctic cat building sleds for yamaha?

Quebecnewf

Heard about that the other day. If Artic Cat and Yamaha go together we should get a good machine. Yamaha has the best engines. Artic Cat has a good suspension but their wheels and bearings are garbage.

Take the best from both and who knows

Quebecnewf

chuckthompson

I'm a 'sled head' as well as interested in logging.  I've run many miles on a Skandic, but pulling a trail grooming drag, not logs.  Good machine, you do want a sled with a low range / high range transmission.  The Alpine...meh...  The VK540 has had great reviews from the snowmobile community as well.  I'd pick the Skandic, but remember (as I've told myself MANY times while pulling a drag) "it's only a snowmobile..." - if you expect too much of it, you'll be disappointed.

Quebecnewf

Well said it is only a snowmobile and it will only pull so much.

About 12 years ago i was hauling logs that a guy had cut for me and piled next to the shore.

The total haul was about 7 miles and all on the sea ice or sections of flat marsh (no hills) . Most of it was on the groomed snowmobile trail.

It was march and hauling conditions were perfect. Hard graded path and just enough snow to keep the slides cool.

I was hauling 2 sleighs in tandem with both sleighs piled as high as I could load them.

On this day as I was about halfway home to the mill a bunch of about 5 snowmobiles all high  powered Yamaha's  zipped past me (outsiders doing the trip down the Route Blanche(Name of local trail)(Google it ).

They went about 1/2 a mile ahead of me and all pulled of to the side. As I passed them I could see the camera's going. I did not stop but just wove up my hand and reached down and patted the side of my Yamaha VK540. They gave me a big thumbs up.

I would like to have seen those pics and heard the story when they got back home. I would say it was one of the biggest loads I have ever towed.

Quebecnewf

bushmechanic

I have to agree with quebecnewf and the VK. Here in Newfoundland we use a lot of snowmobiles for getting logs and firewood.The old two stroke VK 's are really good, don't seem to have such luck with the four strokes though really tippy. Bravo long tracks are used alot also.Nowadays it seems that no one makes good utility sleds just trail riders.   

Quebecnewf

I agree the snowmobiles are getting to high end. Very little to choose from. I have heard that Yamaha has reworked their VK professional  underwear and they are a lot better.

Quebecnewf

John_Haylow

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on snow machines. I decided to go with a Ski Doo Tundra 11 LT, I picked up a 1997 model in good shape. It may not pull as much as some of the other sleds, but I can always make a few more trips. I will try and get a picture of it posted.
Thanks again,
John

mad murdock

Tundra is a nice machine, I had two of them one long track and one not, when i lived in Kotzebue Alaska. For a 250 they were a workhorse, kind of reminiscent of the old élan! Now that is a machine, eh?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Glenn

John
I love the tundra long track.  My 11 yr old son has a bravo trapper that he uses for feeding the deer and its perfect for hiim.  Royal in Barrie has some great deals on snowmobile gear right now.  We were in there yesterday.

John_Haylow

Quote from: mad murdock on March 29, 2013, 03:53:15 AM
Tundra is a nice machine, I had two of them one long track and one not, when i lived in Kotzebue Alaska. For a 250 they were a workhorse, kind of reminiscent of the old élan! Now that is a machine, eh?
Yes, like an Elan with a longer track, I had a few of them over the years, they were a great machine.
John

John_Haylow

Quote from: Glenn on March 29, 2013, 11:24:55 AM
John
I love the tundra long track.  My 11 yr old son has a bravo trapper that he uses for feeding the deer and its perfect for hiim.  Royal in Barrie has some great deals on snowmobile gear right now.  We were in there yesterday.

Thank's for the tip Glen,
John

Thank You Sponsors!