iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best trees to plant in pasture

Started by Novascotiamill, January 25, 2018, 09:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novascotiamill

Hello,I need some advice . I have a few acres of gently sloping southern exposure that I would like to plant some inexpensive fast growing(in tree years !) to break up the pasture especially near the property lines. I considered a few hundred Christmas trees as a start, maybe they will be worth cutting a few some day. Theres a lot of big softwoods along the edges of the field that may speak to soil quality. Ill try and post some photos. Oh well site wont let me post pics.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

Ianab

First, we don't allow links to offsite pictures, because they have a tendency to "go away" at some point in the future. --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- making people pay for what was free hosting for example. Any posts on other forums with links to PB now come up unavailable, unless the poster throws $$ at PB. You can upload pictures to a gallery hosted here ion the FF. The advantage of this is the pictures are then kept on the FF server, and stay there when people read through the thread again next year.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

Now as for your question, location, location, location. Lots of good reasons for planting a few trees around pasture areas, for shelter from the sun and wind etc. But what works best depends on exactly where you live.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Blue Noser

What part of the province are you living in, a better understanding of the site conditions you are working with will help in providing a recommendation. Feel free to send me a personal message on here if you do not wish to disclose to much information on here and I can try and help.

Novascotiamill

Quote from: Ianab on January 25, 2018, 11:44:14 PM
First, we don't allow links to offsite pictures, because they have a tendency to "go away" at some point in the future. --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- making people pay for what was free hosting for example. Any posts on other forums with links to PB now come up unavailable, unless the poster throws $$ at PB. You can upload pictures to a gallery hosted here ion the FF. The advantage of this is the pictures are then kept on the FF server, and stay there when people read through the thread again next year.

Yeah I understand that the " click here to add photo button" was not working when I made my post
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Grindlux band sharpener
O

Novascotiamill

Ok my photo button is now working,ithink
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Grindlux band sharpener
O

BradMarks

I'd plant whatever conifer species is growing on the adjacent properties, seems to be working. And I would kill, kill, kill the competing vegetation - the grass and forbs, or it will be a fruitless endeavor. Just me and my....!

LeeB

You want trees and I want to clear a bunch of mine off so I have what you have.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

maple flats

That picture looks more like hay field than pasture. If it is pasture, what is pastured there?
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Novascotiamill

Really.........thanks for your help.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Grindlux band sharpener
O

Thank You Sponsors!