iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planting in genus Populus

Started by Thuja man, February 06, 2018, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thuja man

Hi folks.  Simple question, complicated implications;  Stands of species such as trembling aspen, bigtooth aspen, and balsam poplar around these parts typically are clonal stands, being either a "male" or "female" clone.  But when we seek to establish stands of these and similar species, we are planting numerous, genetically distinct individuals.  Does this work over the long haul?  Funky interactions between stems?  This is clearly far different from how nature populates land with these tree types.  I suppose......numerous "hybrid poplar" plantations exist, and these are essentially mixtures of these and other members of the group so straight-up planting does apparently work. 

There, have I answered my own question?

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

BaldBob

Quote from: Thuja man on February 06, 2018, 08:23:05 AM
......numerous "hybrid poplar" plantations exist, and these are essentially mixtures of these and other members of the group so straight-up planting does apparently work. 

There, have I answered my own question?
Hybrid poplar plantations are not "planted" in the traditional sense, they are generally grown from cuttings ( thus are clones of their parent tree) that are usually about thumb thick and 6-9" long, pushed into the ground to just short of the last bud on the cutting.

Thank You Sponsors!