iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery

Started by Magicman, October 15, 2019, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

If you are taking a blood thinner after your surgery then NSAID's like Ibuprofen, Aleve and especially aspirin are a no-no. Tylenol is about the only over the counter allowed with blood thinners.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Magicman

Wow what a long day.  I left at 9:00am and just plopped into my chair.  The NP that was with me in the pre-op saw me and seemed pleased.  Of course she was not interested in my "forced" motion but what amount of straightening and bending I was able to do unassisted.  I start my three day a week outpatient PT tomorrow and will see the NP again in one month.

I was prescribed a "step down" pain med "Norco" and the twice a day 81 grain aspirin was reduced to one in the evening.  I take no other blood thinners.  I can take Ibuprofen/Aleve during the day if needed but not at night.  The stocking stays on the "operated on" leg for another two weeks so I guess that "pole dancing" is allowed.  ::)

I also got me a brand new genuine artificial aluminum highly valuable Walnut walking stick.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

randy d

Sounds like things are going pretty good hopefully you will be back sawing by spring. Randy

Magicman

I had a good first visit with the outpatient PT.  The bending reached 110° but she was not really interested in the bending.  She was interested in the straightening.  I am at 10° and we have to reach 0°, so that will be my goal for the next couple of weeks.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Back a few years when my wife had a TKR, I think the only issue she had was the "straightening" part!

PT suggested she lay on the bed, on her belly, and hang a small bag of sand or marbles from her ankle for about 30 minutes!

Next visit, PT was pleased with the results! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

That would not work for me because I lost all of my marbles long ago.  ::)

doc henderson

well we know you have plenty of sand.  check the pockets of your clothes you wore on that big job this past year!   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

:D  And I was trying to forget about the sand box.  I did talk with that customer just before my surgery and he was wanting to know when I would be able to saw again.  My understanding is that it will be in a different location.

Future sawing, traveling, hunting, etc. is what is giving me the motivation to push harder.  This inactivity sorta "cramps my style".  (old saying) 

Peter Drouin

You will be your old self in no time. Good luck.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doctorb

It can be harder to get the last 10 degrees of straightening (extension) than to get the last 20 degrees of bending (flexion).  Really focus on getting full extension, as it is required to walk well.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Thanks doctorb.  My strength and stability has really improved this past week.  I will get "measured up" this morning by the PT, and I am looking for some improvement.  I know that I am impatient but you gotta remember, I didn't want this mess to begin with so now I want it to go away.  ;D   The PT session is scheduled for 30 minutes this morning and 45 minutes for Wed. & Fri.  Maybe she has some surprises in store for me.  :o

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Apparently I am and did Peter.  My flexion improved from 110° Friday to 115° this morning and my extension went from 10° to 3°.  I'll keep on busting my chops with my PT homework.   

doctorb

Magic-

I gotta admit, you make me smile.  You've taken this on like you're in a heavyweight bout.  You took a few shots early, but you're comin' back!  Those ROM (Range of Motion) numbers are quite good.  

DoctorB
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

The knee is still making progress.  Wednesday the extension had lost from 3° to 6°, but it was back to 4° this morning.  The flexion had improved from 115° to 117° Wednesday and to 120° this morning.  The soreness/pain during the PT has reduced significantly and the main focus is now toward strengthening and extension.

I do realize that I am an impatient patient.  ::)

doc henderson

the new knee will be so much better, you may just walk in circles.  like the 6 million dollar magic man.   :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

gasman1075

I had my hip replaced 8 weeks ago and I just want to be able to put my socks on....... :D
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

Magicman

Yup, even the small things mean a lot when you can't do them.  :)

bwstout

Yep like a right shoulder replacement when you are right hand dominant things just don't wipe easy with the left ;D
home built mill

Magicman

4 weeks ago today I had my surgery.  I drove to Wal-Mart alone in my standard shift RAV4, did my shopping, (had to buy a new printer) got home and got it all hooked up and working, and then discovered that I had lost my walking stick.  No it wasn't really lost, just hiding under my shirt, but I thought that it was comical.  :)  I have a PT appointment at 2:30, so I'll get stretched some more. 

alan gage

Quote from: Magicman on December 16, 2019, 03:07:50 PM
then discovered that I had lost my walking stick.  No it wasn't really lost, just hiding under my shirt
You must have really baggy clothes. Now I can't stop picturing you wearing MC Hammer clothes. Kind of fitting because you are Too Legit to Quit.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Magicman

Well that was a mixed up reply.  The walking stick was hanging on the chair back with the shirt over it.  Now that does sound better?  ;)

My PT visit went very well.  My Flexion improved from 120° to 127°, and my Extension improved from 4° to 2°.  I am pulling both of them as hard as I can physically pull with no regard given to pain.  I did kinda get fussed at for not using ice more following my workouts.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

petefrom bearswamp

Good to hear that the progress is good MM
I have noticed that as we forumites age there a a lot more posts having to do health issues.
Just a fact of living and ageing I guess.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!